Why is it considered righteous to force a child into a sick world, yet making a personal decision to exit this world is "selfish".

How does that make any sense?

Answer: Socially accepted perception of an issue.

Common Logic: Most people consider it an act of selfishness to commit suicide, as you "hurt" those around you.

Truth: Reality is that, the people that are left behind "hurt" are actually the selfish ones, since they only think about their own feelings.

As a humble and unselfish person, I do not wish anyone ever to reach a state where they feel suicide is an option, but I understand that people can end up feeling that way, which actually should be an alarm to everyone that something is wrong with our society. People will frown on most things that are different, instead of trying or caring to understand. Many people need help and will never receive it.

I do believe when you wrote your question that you are not referring to something like "active suicide assistance", which some people resolve to if say they suffer from a very severe and irrecoverable illness.

• Like 3

Truth: Reality is that, the people that are left behind "hurt" are actually the selfish ones, since they only think about their own feelings.

I disagree. Grieving in itself isn't easy. A sudden death such as suicide is even harder to process. A violent death is harder to process than a peaceful death which also is often the case with an suicide. Not to mention the guilt that is eating away at the survivors.

Suicide is by far the most difficult death to process and there is a very significant increased risk survivors will attempt one.

Not saying its selfish to commit suicide. But the ramifications for the direct environment are huge. Nothing 'selfish' about the survivors feelings...

• Like 2
Why is it considered righteous to force a child into a sick world, yet making a personal decision to exit this world is "selfish".

How does that make any sense?

Do not even get me started on this...

Its all in the news in the UK at the moment and I am watching selfish mothers who know that they will give birth to children who will suffer a short and painful life due to hereditary diseases and yet they still consider it their "right" to have children... What about all the poor bastards desperate for an adoption family? Who gives a damn about them? What rights do they have? Why are they so unlovable? if you are prepared to put the effort into raising a child why can it not be one that you know is desperate for a loving family? Oh thats it - because its your "right" to get pregnant and give birth to a poor soul to suffer and die.

I believe that if you know you are going to give birth to a child that is going to suffer in such ways then I am afraid you put a condom on and take the pill. Anything else is the equivalent of torturing another human being for your own personal gain. Sick and cruel. Its abuse in my eyes.

If you do not know before getting pregnant then that is a whole other kettle of fish... and my views are very different dependant on the situation.

As for suicide we have had a few in our family over the years. I can tell you that it does have a profound effect on those left behind. It can rip people left behind apart. More so when the person is appearing perfectly happy, well and content with life. So I can understand why many consider it selfish. I have been there and wanted to exit this world on my terms but the thought of what it would do to my loved ones stopped me. I care about them too much. And thank goodness it did or I wouldn't be the happy chappy I am today.

Stepping down, breathing... calming down... phew you sure know how to pick your topics OP...

• 4 weeks later...

My brother killed himself almost 2 years ago.

I'm not gonna lie it has severely messed me up in all aspects of my life.

My anxiety and depression has gotten a lot worse.

I have unnecessary anger to the world and people around me.

My personal relationships are affected.

I gained 60 pounds with in the first 4 months of the grieving process.

I can honestly say I really do not enjoy life.

I used to be a very happy individual with a bunch of friends.

Now i'm a very grumpy person with no friends really.

I do not consider my brother to be selfish. He thought he was being unselfish for the people around him. With wanting to follow in his shoes multiple times. You get in a zone where people WILL be better of without you. Mental Illnesses are so nasty. It makes me sad.

Now I wish my brother did realize how much he was loved.

The affect it has on my family is so devastating. But I will NOT blame him.

Justanaverageguy

I don't necessarily think it is selfish .... but it is extremely sad that it is still such a huge issue in modern society. With all the benefits and marvels of modern society people still choose to voluntarily end their own life every day.

I've been out of high school for about 14 years. Of my graduating class their 6 people that I know of who have died. 5 suicides and 1 car crash.

That stat scares me half to death that the biggest killer of people I went to school with .... is themselves. The issue gets no where near as much coverage as cancer, aids, heart disease or any other number of illnesses.

I've never had anyone close to me commit suicide, but over the last few years, I've been entertaining the thought of it, myself. The thing is, I don't necessarily see it as selfish, because I don't really have anyone to leave behind. That's a big part of the reason I've been thinking about it. I've been unable to connect with a single person my entire life. Sure, my parents would probably grieve, but they're nearing the end of their own lives, anyway. Beyond them, not a single person would care that I'm gone. My suicide wouldn't affect anyone beyond that.

Sad as it sounds, the only thing that's really stopped me is simply because I'm too afraid of it being painful. If it were up to me, I wish there were a way I could do it so that it just happens without me even having enough time to think or react about it. But I'm too afraid of the pain, and on top of that, I'm too afraid I might somehow survive and end up disabled depending on how I'd attempt it. I dunno.