Is it a good thing, or a bad thing?

It's been a little bit since i last wrote on here, about 6 months or so. I have since slowed down my drinking, and have been trying to get back into more physical activities.

On another note, I have just found out i have 2 semesters left of school, this is killing my mental state. I am 27 (28 in june) and I went back to school to get my life in order, I'll be coming out with a ba in psychology. I know this isn't much of a degree, but I'm not the smartest person and was trying to be realistic, I've been getting A's and B's and I'm questioning if I should go for a Masters? my sister said i should take some time and get a full time job since I haven't had the experience of one yet. I've been an addict and an alcoholic, I'm finally over the hump and haven't taken drugs in a long time and my drinking has been under control.

I'm just looking for some feedback, what people think of a psych degree, the age I'm at (27) and what a good path would be for me. I'm feeling a little down in the dumps, depression seems to have a tough grip that I'm trying to work on, but I've had relatives tell me my degree is pointless and it won't get me a job.....tough to hear, then I hear it from other people.

Any and all advice is appreciated, wish you all happy holidays and hope to get some feedback on this, Thank you all- Mr. Bite

WonderWoman911

Sorry to hear that your family isn't giving you the support that you need, but me personally, can say that I am happy for you that you're about to receive your Bachelors degree. Don't discredit yourself!!! Be proud of yourself. It's so many people in the world who start college and yet not finish and there's people who don't even attempt to go. So definitely pat yourself on the back for receiving this degree. Receiving a degree isn't a walk in the park. Just continue to do job searches or and even internships. Allow your family negativity be your motivation. And definitely congratulations to you for your sobriety. :):bunny:

• Like 1
  • Author

That just gave me a huge boost, THANK YOU! I've lost a few friends lately because I've stopped going out so much, which is a sad thing to think about but I know I'm doing what I need to do to eventually live the life that I want to live, not surrounded by alcohol, mistakes, and regrets. need to just keep pushing even when the light at the end of the tunnel can be so dim.

WonderWoman911

You're definitely welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bunny:Just like you said,focus on your life and the goals you want to accomplish and DONT allow anyone to pull you down.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Went out last night and a bunch of friends wanted to drink and shoot pool, I shot pool...not one drink. They got taco bell afterwards, I went home and had a few slices of ham. Today I ran 6.2 miles and feel good about myself. Just wanted to write this. Keep it up! Get healthy! forget alcohol! Thanks all! especially Wonder Woman!

Since you're 2 semesters away from graduating this is a good time to go into your career center and explore your options. Internships? Student assistant jobs? AmeriCorps? Job placement programs? Graduate school? They can discuss all kinds of possibilities with you and even connect you to alumni/community members in jobs that you want to know more about. They can also help you with mock interviews, resume development, etc.

The road to recovery is a difficult one, but it sounds like you're doing all the right things despite the not so positive comments from your family and friends. It is ok to dump friends that aren't wanting to grow with you because you can make new friends that are. Are you attending any kind of addiction or depression support meetings? If not it couldn't hurt to check a few out.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks, that really helped and I will definitely look into the career center (already checked out what they provide) sounds like the exact thing I need to move on with my life. I am also about to buy an investment house with my sister....so I'm hoping to be taking the positive road in life now, without the addictions and unfocused thoughts that buried me before.