Is living unconventionally bad for me?

Intrepidcaribou

I'm 28. I never cook. I do a bare minimum for housework. I don't have any furniture. I actually sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag on an air mattress -- and I love it. I move around a lot. I work a lot of contract jobs and new contract usually means new city. I love to travel.

I'm fit and healthy. I wear a size 4. I try to avoid junk food. I eat a lot of tuna sandwiches, bran cereal, yogurt, and salads. I also run around a lot.

I like being free. I know my aversion to housework means I'll never marry and I'm OK with that, though I'd like to have a love affair or two before I get old.

My friends are scattered around the world. I have a good friend in Calgary, one in Helsinki, one in London etc etc.

My aunt came to visit me and was horrified that I had no cooking pots and there was nothing but milk, a loaf of bread, and cold cuts in my fridge and frozen fruit in my freezer. I don't think I should do something unnecessary that I hate because it's convention. Nor do I believe I should acquire a partner and force him to do housework -- unattractive and unfair.

Is there anything inherently wrong with living unconventionally?

• Like 1

I'll echo that a billion times and forever. Live the way that makes you happy, it's your life. I wonder what even made you question this or feel the need to possibly re-evaluate your life. I'm sure your aunt's visit was a contributing factor but it can't be the only thing.

If you think you should be doing something else or more, just because it's socially well received by others, then I would say "fudge that". As long as you are functioning, enjoy life and feel you are getting what you want out of it, then keep doing what you are.

I most certainly understand and love the friendship from people around the world too. It's entirely possible to find and experience a love affair that suits your exact needs, it really just depends on the type of person you are and finding someone whom understands and can relate and naturally wish the same.

• Like 3

It's a bit cheaper if you can cook something. Garage sales & thrift stores always have cheap dishes. I mean soooo cheap you could throw them out or re-donate them if you move.

I'd be a bit concerned that you don't get enough spinal support when you sleep on a air mattress but if you are otherwise happy, enjoy.

Nothing wrong with it. My guy and I live 'unconventionally' to an extent too - we live in a small apartment and have no dining table, as most of the space is taken up by our two huge self-assembled desktops, bookshelves, and some other stuff we collect. If we cook, it will usually be a simple one-dish meal, and we eat at our computer desks and probably watch a show together while we do. :laugh:

Lots of people would be horrified by this, but it's how we like it. Having a big dining table with china and cooking an elaborate meal and eating all prim and proper with passing the salt... that's not very important to us.

There will be compatible guys, and there will be incompatible guys. You would be surprised how many guys are fine with the lifestyle you speak of. My guess is that your biggest obstacle to a long term relationship (if you would indeed like one) would be the constant travel - LDRs are a pain in the behind, so you would need a guy whose life and career was flexible enough to travel with you. But not having a long term relationship isn't all bad in itself either. Live your life for yourself, the way you want to.

Definitely live an unconventional life if that makes you happy. Many people do. Conformity is overrated anyway.

Just be sure to sock your money away into an IRA or some kind of account where you can grow interest on your savings. And if you want to have an unconventional love affair or relationship, go for it.

I know plenty of people who have unconventional relationships and are quite happy. There are no rules in life but the rules you make up for yourself. Other people's opinions of your lifestyle be damned. If you're happy, that's all that matters.

Ron English, a well known street artist is one of my heroes of the unconventional lifestyle....https://www.popaganda.com/

Nikki Sahagin

OP - are you an aquarius by any chance?

But to answer your question, no I don't think there is anything wrong with living this way if you are happy. Perhaps you will even meet an unconventional man and live happily ever after? Better to live in a way that makes you happy and attract someone who can subscribe to your way of life than to change only to build with resentment as the years go by. You sound like a free spirit.

Thegreatestthing

I was living like this,but then I alternate by living in very fancy places,I was living fir a long time in Budapest just staying at random places,I'm bit of a haughty hippy,this is just Bohemianism just can look it up.

bob the brave

When you find the right guy, you may have to compromise a bit (can anyone say vacuum cleaner?) all couples do to function. But he will also be the one that respects and loves you for who you are, air mattress and all. You will not be changing who you are, just doing your part for the relationship. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a guy that loves to do housework and cook.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your lifestyle.

I'm 28. I never cook. I do a bare minimum for housework. I don't have any furniture. I actually sleep on the floor in a sleeping bag on an air mattress -- and I love it. I move around a lot. I work a lot of contract jobs and new contract usually means new city. I love to travel.

I'm fit and healthy. I wear a size 4. I try to avoid junk food. I eat a lot of tuna sandwiches, bran cereal, yogurt, and salads. I also run around a lot.

I like being free. I know my aversion to housework means I'll never marry and I'm OK with that, though I'd like to have a love affair or two before I get old.

My friends are scattered around the world. I have a good friend in Calgary, one in Helsinki, one in London etc etc.

My aunt came to visit me and was horrified that I had no cooking pots and there was nothing but milk, a loaf of bread, and cold cuts in my fridge and frozen fruit in my freezer. I don't think I should do something unnecessary that I hate because it's convention. Nor do I believe I should acquire a partner and force him to do housework -- unattractive and unfair.

Is there anything inherently wrong with living unconventionally?

I just read this entire post thinking you were a guy.

I was about to commiserate and say that a simple life filled with travel, good food and good health does indeed impact your dating life and your ability to move from dating to something more serious. That most women, when it comes down to it, do not like travel, freedom and simplicity.

Then I get toward the end and see you're chick?!?!?

WOULD YOU PLEASE MARRY ME??????? ;)

You just gave me hope that there are a few compatible, cool chicks out there in this world.

Where do women such as yourself hang out? I'm dying to know!

PS: There is literally nothing wrong with the life you are describing. You are far wiser than 99% of the population. So many things are just unnecessary burdens, but people feel they must have them.

Edited by nofeelings22

you don't sound unconventional, just living minimally. it's all good as long as you're banking what you're not spending. it would be a problem if you get to 48, or 68 with no stuff and no money. it's all excellent to live moment to moment, but you need basic needs to be met at some point.

• Author
Intrepidcaribou
you don't sound unconventional, just living minimally. it's all good as long as you're banking what you're not spending. it would be a problem if you get to 48, or 68 with no stuff and no money. it's all excellent to live moment to moment, but you need basic needs to be met at some point.

I have $20,000 in savings and I've paid off my student loan, though I spend more money than I should buying vintage clothes

• Like 1

Finances are never a problem for those that don't waste money, as the OP doesn't.

All of her basic needs •are• being met and she has many more enriching experiences than 99% of the human race. All that junk people collect doesn't make them happy. It burdens them.

Basic needs are: Food, water, shelter, comfort, income/money, clothing and dare I say satisfaction with life. She (and i as well) have these needs covered.

I live exactly as she does (albiet with a real, built in bed and fully stocked kitchen.... cooking and eating health are one of my favorite things in life).

And money? Lol.... I don't want to say exactly how much I have in savings from running 2 of my own small businesses and living like her, but i do have a $1M boat that's nearly done being built right now. That's my home. So is my RV. I live a little less spartan than the OP, but.... my homes travel with me. I own nothing. No junk. No furniture. No cars (i rent one when i feel like it)

She will probably be better off financially than her peers BECAUSE she lives like this.

Note: I sure wish she would answer my question regarding where to meet girls like her... :( :( :( :( :(

Is there an dating site for people like us? I'm tired of sorting through all the boring women out there who are basically just NJ housewife style deep down. I'm trying to find ones who "get it."

Edited by nofeelings22
Finances are never a problem for those that don't waste money, as the OP doesn't.

All of her basic needs •are• being met and she has many more enriching experiences than 99% of the human race. All that junk people collect doesn't make them happy. It burdens them.

Basic needs are: Food, water, shelter, comfort, income/money, clothing and dare I say satisfaction with life. She (and i as well) have these needs covered.

I live exactly as she does (albiet with a real, built in bed and fully stocked kitchen.... cooking and eating health are one of my favorite things in life).

And money? Lol.... I don't want to say exactly how much I have in savings from running 2 of my own small businesses and living like her, but i do have a $1M boat that's nearly done being built right now. That's my home. So is my RV. I live a little less spartan than the OP, but.... my homes travel with me. I own nothing. No junk. No furniture. No cars (i rent one when i feel like it)

She will probably be better off financially than her peers BECAUSE she lives like this.

Note: I sure wish she would answer my question regarding where to meet girls like her... :( :( :( :( :(

Is there an dating site for people like us? I'm tired of sorting through all the boring women out there who are basically just NJ housewife style deep down. I'm trying to find ones who "get it."

no. she will not be better off than her peers with this lifestyle. if she's living from contract to contract job she (likely) isn't saving things into retirement funds that her peers in solid, 9-5 jobs are. you allegedly have your own business, that is very different from a job-hopper. she is missing out on 401Ks and IRAs and etc. that is what i mean when i say saving, i'm talking her long-range issue. at her age she is in her prime earning years so she's not being smart financially. obviously, she is saving right now but not having *stuff*, that is a given. but she needs to be saving in other ways, because a life of mobility will not pay off in the end. she may find, later, that she has problems in that regard. but the idea of living minimally is awesome.

no. she will not be better off than her peers with this lifestyle. if she's living from contract to contract job she (likely) isn't saving things into retirement funds that her peers in solid, 9-5 jobs are. you allegedly have your own business, that is very different from a job-hopper. she is missing out on 401Ks and IRAs and etc. that is what i mean when i say saving, i'm talking her long-range issue. at her age she is in her prime earning years so she's not being smart financially. obviously, she is saving right now but not having *stuff*, that is a given. but she needs to be saving in other ways, because a life of mobility will not pay off in the end. she may find, later, that she has problems in that regard. but the idea of living minimally is awesome.

We could get into a huge financial debate here... 401k, IRA =garbage and at the whim of the market there are far more profitable things to invest exvess income in that blow away the tax benefits of the 401ks and ITrAs the sheeple were taught wasthe way to go. Investments such as my ALLEGED (ha ha ha) small businesses. I also think there is nothing wrong with contract work. It typically pays higher than permanent positions and she is able to manage her own money and time (ie, doesn't just get 1 week off a year leading to nervous breakdown, thus earning more in the long run).

To work in non profits, travel the world and still have 20k in liquid sitting around is great. Her net worth is probably 20k, well above average (sadly), and probably at least 20k higher than her peers ... who are also 28 an in the non profit sector.

Personal debt is one of the biggest killers, as well as real estate drain Have netither and you can amass the liquidity needed to quickly move up. It's all about net worth, savings rate and income reinvestment.

Edit: It's no doubt the standard method of 401k and IRA works for most. So does religion. Both are simple sets of rules to better your life. However, one can do better if some thought is put in.

Edited by nofeelings22
  • Author
Intrepidcaribou
We could get into a huge financial debate here... 401k, IRA =garbage and at the whim of the market there are far more profitable things to invest exvess income in that blow away the tax benefits of the 401ks and ITrAs the sheeple were taught wasthe way to go. Investments such as my ALLEGED (ha ha ha) small businesses. I also think there is nothing wrong with contract work. It typically pays higher than permanent positions and she is able to manage her own money and time (ie, doesn't just get 1 week off a year leading to nervous breakdown, thus earning more in the long run).

To work in non profits, travel the world and still have 20k in liquid sitting around is great. Her net worth is probably 20k, well above average (sadly), and probably at least 20k higher than her peers ... who are also 28 an in the non profit sector.

Personal debt is one of the biggest killers, as well as real estate drain Have netither and you can amass the liquidity needed to quickly move up. It's all about net worth, savings rate and income reinvestment.

Edit: It's no doubt the standard method of 401k and IRA works for most. So does religion. Both are simple sets of rules to better your life. However, one can do better if some thought is put in.

Um, I'm Canadian. I actually have no idea what a 401K and IRA are.

I am not self-employed. I work at fixed term contracts for an employer with a T4. I usually receive either a bonus or extension at the end of my term. The only people I know who have steady full-time jobs are working in mind-numbingly boring jobs or go-nowhere admin assistant jobs. Everyone else works contract

Edited by Intrepidcaribou