Low self-esteem, socially anxious, depressed

What can someone like me who fits this description do? I feel like meeting some people and forming friendships would help a lot with my depression, but my introversion, social anxiety, and low self-esteem get in the way, lowering the chances of that happening. My social anxiety is usually just bad at first and goes away as I warm up to a person. Women find me attractive, so I'm not insecure about my looks, besides the fact that I am thin. I suppose it is personality-wise my insecurities lie, though I do feel threatened/jealous of better looking guys. I am trying to work on all of these things. I am open to advice on how to do so, and I am going to search for self-help books on self-esteem and am open to good book suggestions.

The six pillars of self esteem is a book worth checking out.

I suffer your problems too, sometimes more than others with no real reason behind it. Since winter has started setting in I'm generally feeling much worse than I did during the summer.

It's all in the way we think about things. Got to try improving your overall perspective on situations. I think these traits can get so tiring that a time does come where you just think **** it, I CBA with this and suddenly you find a spring in your step again.

That seems to happen with me.

• Like 1

no book i can advise (since i am not that book lover, sorry!). but i do have some personal suggestions to try. Building self esteem is not an easy task or you can achieve it just like 123. Willingness and motivation is the key here. Start by loving yourself first. try to change your output or views i life, be more positive. Changing your healthy life style is a big check also. i hope you get my point. i am not that good in explaining anyway. pardon me lol

Get a good therapist to talk these things out with.

Either that or go do something entirely out of your character. Something that pulls you way out of your comfort zone that you can't easily remove yourself from.

Books aren't going to offer much help. They may throw a coat or two of veneer onto your situation, but ultimately you'll just end up intellectualizing an issue that needs to be addressed at an emotional and experiential level.

Therapy or doing sh*t. Preferably both.

• 1 month later...

How old are you?

I find confidence and a better self esteem also come over time with life experiences. Try to get out more, join clubs or just basically get involved with community things.

My whole life I was shy and had low self esteem but as I got older I actually would force myself into situations to gain confidence. Like taking classes where I had to stand in front of tons of people speaking. As far as looks, everyone is beautiful in his or her own way.....

I've dealt with the same thing, one thing that helps if part of your issue is body image, just go work out a bit, bulk up if you want but just exercise alone can build confidence an reduce stress and anxiety. As for anxiety without knowing someone just start working on getting more comfortable in small groups if possible, get together with a friend and someone else or 2 someone elses an just be you. My german class helped me as we all were just weird german folks. But just try slowly building up. I'll never be a public speaker or anything but I'm solid in groups of way more people now. Like one of the previous posts said, get out of your comfort zone, you might be suprised.