The winter blues -- how to cope?

Standard-Fare

I'm one of the many people who experiences Seasonal Affective Disorder: depression that starts with the onset of winter and lasts until spring. I'd like some insight from others who know about/experience this condition.

In the past few weeks it's been hitting me hard, and I can admit I'm not functioning on a high level. I'm putting minimal effort into my job and social life, and I waste my free time with napping or binge-watching TV. I've also been going to sleep early/waking up late. It's pathetic and I'm not proud of myself but I truly feel like I have zero energy or motivation. In the warmer months I am a much more active, social and positive person.

I'm unsure of the best way to deal with this. I've already made a couple travel plans this winter to warm-weather locales, so that should help get me out of my funk temporarily. I do try to exercise but my lethargy's made that difficult lately. I'd like to avoid medication if possible but I admit I need some help beyond myself.

• Like 1

I gave in and went with medication. Have been on it seasonally for out 15 years now. Last winter was especially bad, so I got started on the antiD early this year.

Have you tried a light box? And if your can get the cardio exercise in despite the lethargy, it'll do you a world of good. Energy breeds energy. Best of luck to you, I know exactly where you're at. Travel isn't an option for me, so I do what I can. It made my day to see snow yesterday. Just something about the whiteness/brightness of it. And as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's going to be cold, it might as well snow. :bunny:

• Like 4
  • Author
Standard-Fare
I gave in and went with medication. Have been on it seasonally for out 15 years now. Last winter was especially bad, so I got started on the antiD early this year.

Have you tried a light box? And if your can get the cardio exercise in despite the lethargy, it'll do you a world of good. Energy breeds energy. Best of luck to you, I know exactly where you're at. Travel isn't an option for me, so I do what I can. It made my day to see snow yesterday. Just something about the whiteness/brightness of it. And as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's going to be cold, it might as well snow. :bunny:

The reason I've been resistant to meds is not b/c I think I don't need them during the winter, but b/c I don't think I need them during the SUMMER. And I don't like the idea of being on meds for only one part of the year. It seems unstable for the brain's chemistry?

Is that really what your doc recommends for you? How do you find the tapering off/going back on, etc?

The reason I've been resistant to meds is not b/c I think I don't need them during the winter, but b/c I don't think I need them during the SUMMER. And I don't like the idea of being on meds for only one part of the year. It seems unstable for the brain's chemistry?

Is that really what your doc recommends for you? How do you find the tapering off/going back on, etc?

My go to drug has been Wellbutrin. I seem to do better with the only drug that affects dopamine (SSRIs increase your serotonin). Altho right now, I am on an SSRI, which I needed back in June, for other reasons. I may or may not have to add the Wellbutrin this winter.

When I was just doing it during the winter, I'd start in early October. As far as weaning off, Wellbutrin gave me no withdrawal effects - I'd simple kinda forget to stop taking it here and there. As for an SSRI, such as Celexa or Prozac, I'd imagine it would be a quick taper off and on. I went from three weeks of 10mg/day to 20mg, and that's where I am now. Tapering off isn't a horribly long process. The exception might be Effexor, I had a horrible withdrawal time from that one.

Docs are familiar with prescribing them for the season, and I'm sure there's a wealth of info online about it.

• Author
Standard-Fare

Here'a a very basic question: What's the best way for me to go about finding a good psychiatrist in my area? I haven't done this before and just searching on Google is overwhelming. But I also don't necessarily want to talk about this with friends, so I'm probably not going to get any word-of-mouth suggestions.

try one of the natural light lamps like this: Rise & Shine Natural Wake-Up Light

Also make sure you got outside during the day with as much skin uncovered as possible -- hands & face usually -- to soak up the sunshine for at least 10-15 per day.

My screen saver on the computer is a tropical paradise which helps.

• Like 2
Lernaean_Hydra

This is a bit flawed. The reason you're feeling depressed is due to chemical changes in your brain to begin with. Only being on meds for one part of the year - the seasons in which you're experiecing depression - would basically help to "correct" that chemistry. Contrary to popular belief, antidepressants are meant to be temporary things anyway.

I'm currently battling the onset of S.A.D. without meds at the moment simply because this happens every year for me now but goes away once my body/mind fully adjusts to the seasonal changes and has been fairly mild in recent years. In the past though, I went straight for the meds at the first tickle of depression.

Now I'm also doing things like increasing my exercise and the amount of time spent outdoors - going for walks in the early morning and/or early evening (dusk) hours is really helping. Tomorrow I'm even going to a nursery to look into getting a few low maintenance plants to look after as well.

• Like 2
  • Author
Standard-Fare

Normally exercise is a great answer for me but recently it seems I don't even have enough energy to get started/committed with it. I do realize how pitiful that sounds but it's true.

For instance I try to do hot yoga regularly, but during my last session found myself too distracted/unmotivated to follow the class in a productive way. Also, physically I was struggling. (And I'm not necessarily out of shape.)

I forced myself to take a long walk (3+ miles) outside yesterday but it didn't necessarily brighten my spirits as it was a gray, grim day and I was too bundled up in winter gear to feel "light" in my step.

Ugh, winter needs to F off.

• Like 1

You don't need to see a psychiatrist to get on antidepressants. Most GPs will give them out like candy.

The reason I suggested Wellbutrin (and the reason it worked for me) is that it has a slight energizing effect. While some people say SSRIs make them feel like a zombie, Wellbutrin is more likely to put you a little 'on edge', which is often enough of a push to get you to keep moving and therefore exercising. It's not a good choice for anyone prone to anxiety for just that reason.

You may find that the lowest dose (75mg/day) gives you just enough of a boost to help you keep your other methods of coping in action.

Again, best wishes!

• Like 1
  • Author
Standard-Fare
You don't need to see a psychiatrist to get on antidepressants. Most GPs will give them out like candy.

I have a big problem with doctors carelessly overprescribing pills, and I've seen it completely transform a couple people if not destroy their lives. I have no desire to be a part of that system and I don't take lightly to the idea of medicating my depression. I want a doctor who puts thought into a prescription.

Lernaean_Hydra

You don't need to but you most definitely should. Some GPs treat their prescription pads like PEZ dispensers. The whole reason you go to a psychiatrist is not just because they can give you meds. Their background in psychology gives them the tools to talk to you an assess which meds would be best based on your current symptoms/issues as opposed to just giving you whatever the pharmaceutical rep has pitched to them as the hottest new drug.

The reason I suggested Wellbutrin (and the reason it worked for me) is that it has a slight energizing effect. While some people say SSRIs make them feel like a zombie, Wellbutrin is more likely to put you a little 'on edge', which is often enough of a push to get you to keep moving and therefore exercising. It's not a good choice for anyone prone to anxiety for just that reason.

You may find that the lowest dose (75mg/day) gives you just enough of a boost to help you keep your other methods of coping in action.

Ten years ago I was prescribed Wellbutrin (SR) for the first time and the first two weeks on the lowest dose made me lose my mind. I had never had anxiety in my life but I was having up to six severe panic attacks daily. Crying jags, fits, awful cold sweats, etc. It was a nightmare. Now, granted I was only 13 at the time and it's well known teens and young adults can react horribly to antidepressants but good grief.

On the other hand, after a couple weeks I felt much better than I had in years. You're absolutely right about the energy aspect. I don't remember ever feeling zombie like or as if I were noticeably "on drugs" and continued to take Wellbutrin until I was about 18. Unfortunately, one day, they just stopped working. My doctor increased the dose but after a while, I was at I think maximum dosage and still feeling no relief. I was told to give it time but I just didn't feel comfortable pumping something like 500+mgs in my body every day. The risk of seizure far outweighed any potential benefits.

After that I worked with my shrink and tried a handful of alternative drugs and finally settled on Cymbalta for about 2-3 years. It was amazing but the side effects and withdrawal symptoms were horrendous and became too much after a while. Some of them were very strange and made me feel disassociated from my body. I finally gave up on them altogether but honestly, I haven't felt a strong need for them since anyway.

I go with the feelings, to a point, when I can. After a while, I get into the shower, make some tea, and find something to watch that will distract me. I need as much daylight as possible, and when I can sit in the living room at certain times during the day, the light relaxes me.

This afternoon, I found a new(ish)-to-me show - Brothers and Sisters, on Netflix - and watched it on-and-off during the afternoon and night. I've just finished episode 6. In the meantime, I made some chicken broth, made a salad, threw together another recipe that's quick, and will feed me for a few days, made sure the cats were in, and am now trying to get things together, so that I can get a few more things accomplished tomorrow (like shredded coconut in the mixing bowl, covered with a plate, so that I don't have to dig through the cupboards for it tomorrow). I showered again this evening, to wake me up a bit, and relax me again. It just makes me feel better, unless I'm dealing with a crying episode that lasts for a day or two (even then it helps for a little while). Friday and Saturday, I was in a bad way. I've been iffy since then, but am trying to make sure that tomorrow, I'm better than iffy.

I also get out of the house when I can - I go to the bookstore or the mall, if I want to be around people, or ask if we can sit down to eat somewhere (rather than rushing into a place for yet another burger). I'll go to the pet store, and talk to the cats and kittens they have for adoption, talk to the birds, cringe at the spiders, snakes and scorpions they have way too close to the birds and hamsters (even if they are in tanks).

Sometimes, I just need to walk, whether it's through a store, or around the neighbourhood.

OP, I don't think your situation sounds pathetic at all. It's just a reality that some of us face these less-than-peppy feelings; you're not alone. Best thing to do is face your problem head on, and don't be ashamed of who you are. I think you're awesome for looking for solutions, and not letting the SAD take over.

Have you considered St. John's Wort? I'm not sure about it's effectiveness, but maybe it's something over-the-counter you can look in to.

Lernaean_Hydra

This afternoon, I found a new(ish)-to-me show - Brothers and Sisters, on Netflix - and watched it on-and-off during the afternoon and night. I've just finished episode 6.

Oh man, a couple years ago I was going through it really bad and stumbled upon Brothers & Sisters. I ended up binging on the series to completion and surprisingly, it really helped me ride out the depression.

skydiveaddict
I have a big problem with doctors carelessly overprescribing pills, and I've seen it completely transform a couple people if not destroy their lives. I have no desire to be a part of that system and I don't take lightly to the idea of medicating my depression. I want a doctor who puts thought into a prescription.

Quit trying to talk yourself out of this.

Midwest is right. There are meds that will help you

Do you really want to keep living like this?

Edited by skydiveaddict
  • Like 1
Thegreatestthing

Honestly does anyone ever ask themselves why people in Africa,Tahiti,the Amazon etc etc don't have SAD ,that it doesn't exist.

That they don't need giant lights to function that they pass through the seasons easily for thousands of years.

I'll never forget when I went to the us,the first thing I saw on tv was a drug ad,are you shy are you anxious? I'd never seen a drug ad before,and still to this day have never seen one again,completely drug mad over there.

Medicalisation of misery to blame for soaring use of antidepressants, say GPs | Society | The Guardian

Edited by Thegreatestthing
Honestly does anyone ever ask themselves why people in Africa,Tahiti,the Amazon etc etc don't have SAD ,that it doesn't exist.

Uh, it exists, most of them just don't have the resources to diagnose or treat it to begin with. So those people suffer in silence.

• Like 1
skydiveaddict

That they don't need giant lights to function that they pass through the seasons easily for thousands of years.

It's because there is no such thing as winter in those places genius. Do you even know what sad is caused by?

I'll never forget when I went to the us,the first thing I saw on tv was a drug ad,are you shy are you anxious? I'd never seen a drug ad before,and still to this day have never seen one again,completely drug mad over there.

Antidepressants are very popular now because b4 they existed there was no effective treatment for depression.

I suppose you would have condemned penicillin and the polio vaccine as well.

• Like 3
skydiveaddict
Uh, it exists, most of them just don't have the resources to diagnose or treat it to begin with. So those people suffer in silence.

Not in those places it doesn't. SAD is caused by an absence of sunlight and cold cloudy weather.

• Author
Standard-Fare
Which aspects of winter bother you most? Is it the reduced outdoor activity, or the cold, or lack of sunlight, etc?

For me it's not necessarily about the cold, although I don't love that.

It's the darkness. When the sun sets at 4:30 as it has been lately, I feel like the walls are closing in on me. To my body/mind, that signals that the day is over, yet in practical terms I realize I "should" be awake for another six-plus hours, doing productive things. I feel guilty and worthless when I end up just binging on Netflix and falling asleep as early as I possibly can.

The inability to exercise outdoors is also stifling to me. In the warmer months I'm always riding my bike, hiking, etc. That simply can't be replaced by a pitch-black walk to the gym and an hour on the elliptical.

And for those who are urging me to try meds -- I never said I was completely opposed to it. I said I didn't take it lightly. I'm also serious about not wanting some pill-schilling doctor who doesn't give a damn about giving me the right prescription/dosage.

I wouldn't say that I suffer SAD in its full-blown form, but I do miss the light. I bought a light box a few weeks ago and I think it makes a difference to how I feel. I've got more energy from using it, I think.

Well, you already know what's wrong with you. A GP or a psych isn't going to know which AD is most likely to work for you. So either of them is going to use the hit and miss method. But, of course, play it safe.

For me, it worked to go in with knowledge behind me, knowing the doses of various drugs, knowing the more severe side effects, and knowing how long to give it. Noncompliance is the biggest factor in failure with ADs. I also consulted friends regarding what worked best for them. Read up on dopamine vs serotonin.

Go in with the knowledge in YOUR hand, and you'll come out safely and on top. (If you decide to go that route). Meanwhile, keep pushing the exercise. And music! Music really helps me.

Again, good luck!

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through...

I don't know much about SAD, but, I was diagnosed with my first Major Depressive episode when I was 7 years of age (it's reoccurred over the course of my life, each time, I've become stronger and better equipped to handle/manage it. Too much anxiety internalized seems to be the culprit).

Like you, I was at times anti medication for many reasons. The wrong approach, Doctors who prescribe without complimenting it with therapy in tandem. A good Doctor is someone who knows your life history and medical history and who is a responsible.

What worked/works for me? Ongoing therapy combined with an antidepressant, reading, and doing activities to get me out of my comfort zone (dance classes, acting classes, parasailing, skeet shooting, target practice, tons of activities:)). When I feel tense I enjoy transferring the negative energy to something productive, like reorganizing things around the house, my closet, etc.

Life is one big journey, one day at a time.

I've also found helpful (maybe you can too) is when feeling the onset, don't freak out. Let the wave carry you back to shore. It will pass.

Discover methods helpful to you, what works for you?

Above all, be kind to yourself.

You're not perfect and THAT IS okay. It's okay to extend your hand for help from time-to-time, doing so means taking care of yourself and those around you. ((hugs)) :bunny: