Are you a feminist?

Sure. I agree that everyone has the right to make their own choices regardless of gender. Nobody should tell me I can't do something just because I'm a woman (I guess unless I wanted to be a sperm donor). :D

• Like 2
KeepCalmCarryOn

No. I HATE feminism with a passion. I like it killed chivalry and I think that if feminism never existed I would be able to easily be a wife and mother.

• Like 4
No. I HATE feminism with a passion. I like it killed chivalry and I think that if feminism never existed I would be able to easily be a wife and mother.

You can still be a wife and mother. If you get pregnant and give birth, are are a mother, if you get married you will Be a wife. Don't see how feminism is stopping you.

I know plenty of wives and mothers none of them think feminism stopped them from becoming so, plus we still have the freedom to vote, own businesses and be independent.

If we had zero choice and were FORCED to be dependent and our only choice was to become a wife or mother I would be miserable.

It's ridiculous how hostile people can become towards a movement hat ensured women independence and general equality(ability to vote, own land, etc). No one except for a very rigid few say or feel the same about the civil right movement in America. Everyone generally believe it was and still is a good thing. But women fighting for those things? Terrible! It goes to show how mich we take our rights(NEVER given to us, only fought for) for granted.

• Like 13
Sure. I agree that everyone has the right to make their own choices regardless of gender. Nobody should tell me I can't do something just because I'm a woman (I guess unless I wanted to be a sperm donor). :D

Agree.

I am a feminist. Shame it's become a dirty word.

Look at places in the world untouched by a successful feminist movement. No way no how would I want my daily life to be like that.

• Like 7

To answer this question, I guess I can say I'm a "Classic Feminist"

Coming from a childhood where my father was the king of jerks, I now realize how a lot of feminists are created...I think a lot of them have misplaced anger at the male gender after some negative experiences.

I can't tell exactly when I became a Femenist. All I know is that one day I bought a T-shirt that says "This is what a Feminist looks like"

Now, I still believe in women having certain rights. I mean, if I couldn't go to school and/or become independent what would my life be like? I'd be stuck in my abusive home? Would marriage to some guy be my only out?

What I don't believe with is all this "equality" crap. I think men and women have their own strengths and they come together and form a "team". I mean physiologically we are not built like men. They have upper body strength, testosterone....they have that for a reason. And, we are emotional, we have breasts....that's for a reason.

Equal pay? Well, if I owned a business, why would I pay a woman more? I pay based on what I think that employee is worth (unless you work in the military and/or government - where salary is based on the grade you work in). More than likely, a woman is gonna get married and/or need time off for kids. Why should I pay her more for that?

I was watching SVU last nite and Olivia was having a hard time concentrating on her job and needed to step away at times cuz the foster baby was in the hospital. So please, don't tell me a woman can just go to work and ignore her kids (well, some actually do).

I also don't like the hypocrisy. I mean, Feminists tell women that they are not to be objectified by men. Yet, you have Beyonce's (the latest advocate for Feminists, I mean she claims Feminism is "misunderstood") Twitter avatar of her pushing up her breasts and she trots around on stage in her underwear. Oh yeah, that's "woman power" - the power to give men free previews of your body and to sleep around. But, if a man cat-calls a woman, OMG, he's a pig.

And, then there's the hatred for men. In the schools, boys are drugged for just "being boys" - they say they have ADD, or whatever. Any form of male aggression is frowned upon - but males are aggressive naturally. They need to be like that to be fighters, leaders. In schools, if a boy is being bullied, he should pop the bully in the face - that's how males establish dominance and learn to stand up for themselves. They even come out to stereotype our veterans as ticking time-bombs.

Men are being discouraged from going to school because the Feminists are coming out saying that there's not enough females going to school. Then, you have women who shack up with guys and help them with their bills - so men are losing their opportunity to "be" men. So, they are in a state of perpetual adolescence. They just wanna sit around and play video games cuz women no longer place expectations on them.

I could go on and on, but IMO, Feminism has gone to an extreme that I no longer want to be associated with. But, just like how people use religion and/or political views to control people and get support - I believe that is what Feminism has evolved to. Getting a group of people riled up under a "cause".

And, just like I suspected, that's gonna be Hillary Clinton's "angle" (I can't think of the right word to use right now). She's calling out to all the "disadvantaged women" out there who are being abused. What, ever....There are women in places like the middle east who are in real trouble. American women are doing pretty well. I mean, they have "choice" yet get knocked up by so and so and/or go shacking up with guys. :rolleyes:

• Like 6

Coming from a childhood where my father was the king of jerks, I now realize how a lot of feminists are created...I think a lot of them have misplaced anger at the male gender after some negative experiences.

I can't tell exactly when I became a Femenist. All I know is that one day I bought a T-shirt that says "This is what a Feminist looks like"

Now, I still believe in women having certain rights. I mean, if I couldn't go to school and/or become independent what would my life be like? I'd be stuck in my abusive home? Would marriage to some guy be my only out?

What I don't believe with is all this "equality" crap. I think men and women have their own strengths and they come together and form a "team". I mean physiologically we are not built like men. They have upper body strength, testosterone....they have that for a reason. And, we are emotional, we have breasts....that's for a reason.

Equal pay? Well, if I owned a business, why would I pay a woman more? I pay based on what I think that employee is worth (unless you work in the military and/or government - where salary is based on the grade you work in). More than likely, a woman is gonna get married and/or need time off for kids. Why should I pay her more for that?

I was watching SVU last nite and Olivia was having a hard time concentrating on her job and needed to step away at times cuz the foster baby was in the hospital. So please, don't tell me a woman can just go to work and ignore her kids (well, some actually do).

I also don't like the hypocrisy. I mean, Feminists tell women that they are not to be objectified by men. Yet, you have Beyonce's (the latest advocate for Feminists, I mean she claims Feminism is "misunderstood") Twitter avatar of her pushing up her breasts and she trots around on stage in her underwear. Oh yeah, that's "woman power" - the power to give men free previews of your body and to sleep around. But, if a man cat-calls a woman, OMG, he's a pig.

And, then there's the hatred for men. In the schools, boys are drugged for just "being boys" - they say they have ADD, or whatever. Any form of male aggression is frowned upon - but males are aggressive naturally. They need to be like that to be fighters, leaders. In schools, if a boy is being bullied, he should pop the bully in the face - that's how males establish dominance and learn to stand up for themselves. They even come out to stereotype our veterans as ticking time-bombs

Men are being discouraged from going to school because the Feminists are coming out saying that there's not enough females going to school. Then, you have women who shack up with guys and help them with their bills - so men are losing their opportunity to "be" men. So, they are in a state of perpetual adolescence. They just wanna sit around and play video games cuz women no longer place expectations on them.

I could go on and on, but IMO, Feminism has gone to an extreme that I no longer want to be associated with. But, just like how people use religion and/or political views to control people and get support - I believe that is what Feminism has evolved to. Getting a group of people riled up under a "cause".

And, just like I suspected, that's gonna be Hillary Clinton's "angle" (I can't think of the right word to use right now). She's calling out to all the "disadvantaged women" out there who are being abused. What, ever....There are women in places like the middle east who are in real trouble. American women are doing pretty well. I mean, they have "choice" yet get knocked up by so and so and/or go shacking up with guys. :rolleyes:

Wow. I really think you need to research feminism more.

• Like 11
  • Author
Thegreatestthing

I had that feeling to that it was no longer acceptable to want to stay home and raise children which I would want,but at least feminism gave us options. I would call myself a feminist,I was just thinking of it a lot lately because I was visiting my younger teenage male cousins and they listen to nothing but gangsta rap,hip hop etc and every second phrase is how some women is a bitch or a slut it's just mind numbing that it's acceptable to constantly refer to women as bitches over and over again.

The strange thing is he listens to it,but is still very respectful towards women.ALthough he does refer to smashing women(sex),I think saying you want to smash a woman is so cruel and violent.

I also feel like women have far too much emphasis placed on their appearence but we can't say this is just men's fault because I think most women want to look beautiful.I was watching morning tv this morning and they did this long long segment on Renee zwelleger aging it's just beyond me that it could be so important.

You read ancient history texts like on the old Germanic tribes and women were so respected Tacitus says:

"They even believe that the female sex has a certain sanctity and prescience, and they do not despise their counsels, or make light of their answers. In [the emperor] Vespasian's days we saw Veleda, long regarded by many as a divinity. In former times, too, they venerated Aurinia, and many other women, but not with servile flatteries, or with sham deification."

"The Germans traditionally regard many of the female sex as prophetic, and indeed, by an excess of superstition, as divine. This was a case in point. Veleda's prestige stood high, for she had foretold the German successes and the extermination of the legions."

• Like 1
Wow. I really think you need to research feminism more.

Agree. From what she is writing it does t seem as though she understands what feminism is about. Everything seems colored by anger and misinformation.

Also, She says she is feminist but all of her beliefs seem very traditional (men "need to be men", women need to stay home to tends to kids, etc).

Honestly, most of the people who dislike feminism seem to have traditional values and resent the fact that the world is changing. So many of the factors around changing social dynamics are complicated, but they just chalk it up to "angry feminists who hate men". When in fact many feminists would like a balanced, positive change for men as well, like maternal leave for men, because *gasp* some men want to spend time with their children! Or equal opportunity custody for kids(just because someone is biologically a woman does not mean she is a better caretaker or born with a "maternal instinct").

It's sad that this idea that all feminists are angry and hate me has somehow become popular. In real life, I don't know a single feminist who hates guys. Many of them have boyfriends, finances, or husbands and they are lovely couples. Even if I did know one, that would be one in maybe 50 or more.

I don't even know where to start in her post. I mean, she cites SVU as a point of reference.

• Like 4
fortyninethousand322

Can I be a feminist and support unregulated free markets, an end to the welfare-warfare state, and just peoples' general right to be left alone? Or do I have to support things like single payer healthcare, birth control mandates and equal pay legislation?

A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.

No, feminism is not just about women.

Feminism supports the equality of both genders, those who reject genders, sexual orientations, etc.

The bad stereotype that feminism is about females is a huge problem.

• Like 4
No, feminism is not just about women.

Feminism supports the equality of both genders, those who reject genders, sexual orientations, etc.

The bad stereotype that feminism is about females is a huge problem.

Agree 100%

Feminism was supposed to be about "choice"...now, if you want to stay home with your kids, you are told you are wasting your life and being a worker bee is better.

It's my "choice" if I want to be childless and a career woman...It is also a SAHM/Wife's "choice" to have a husband, kids, and put her career/education on the back burner.

So, just cuz I respect the "choices" of women that want to stay home, I am no longer a Feminist, but a "traditionalist"? Gimme a break already.

• Like 2

Sure I am

and I am tired of the war on Feminism these days!

I am too lazy to write why I am a feminist, but can't understand why wouldn't any woman be a feminist!

Why am I not surprised that you would be hating on Feminism! :cool:

• Like 1
Feminism was supposed to be about "choice"...now, if you want to stay home with your kids, you are told you are wasting your life and being a worker bee is better.

It's my "choice" if I want to be childless and a career woman...It is also a SAHM/Wife's "choice" to have a husband, kids, and put her career/education on the back burner.

So, just cuz I respect the "choices" of women that want to stay home, I am no longer a Feminist, but a "traditionalist"? Gimme a break already.

You're 100% right in that if you want to be a SAHM, you should have every right to do so. Some people want that for themselves. I have people in my family and circle of friends who want that for themselves, they are great caretakers. I respect them regardless. I don't think of them as SAHM or "working mothers"(blech), to me they're just people doing what they want or what they do best.

When I said you have traditional values I'm referring to what you said regarding gender roles:

"What I don't believe with is all this "equality" crap. I think men and women have their own strengths and they come together and form a "team". I mean physiologically we are not built like men. They have upper body strength, testosterone....they have that for a reason. And, we are emotional, we have breasts....that's for a reason."

"But males are aggressive naturally. They need to be like that to be fighters, leaders. that's how males establish dominance and learn to stand up for themselves."

So women are emotional and men are leaders? because someone is of a specific gender does not mean they have cookie cutter personality traits. That is a very right and traditional way of thinking ABOUT GENDERS, which is what I was referring to. The beliefs of specific roles in life based on gender is part of what feminist is fighting against. Not all women are suited to just be mothers, some women are terrible mothers, just like some men are better caretakers than their counterpart. If you don't have the very basic belief that roles in life are not and should not be based on gender then you are not a feminist.

I do agree that most males are physically stronger and physically larger than most females. However, that doesn't translate to aggression or leadership or what have you. I know muscular men who are basically gentle giants. They're not making sure everyone within a 50 ft radius knows that they have testosterone.

Edited by camillalev
  • Like 4

And, then there's the hatred for men. In the schools, boys are drugged for just "being boys" - they say they have ADD, or whatever. Any form of male aggression is frowned upon - but males are aggressive naturally. They need to be like that to be fighters, leaders. In schools, if a boy is being bullied, he should pop the bully in the face - that's how males establish dominance and learn to stand up for themselves. They even come out to stereotype our veterans as ticking time-bombs.

So wait, for more than 3000 years men have been shacking up with many girls at the same time, raping, and forcing themselves on other women, and you had no problem with that

now feminism made it Ok and not actually shameful for women (as well) to have sex with other guys now it's a bad thing, Now it's a problem?

how?

If you are against sex without marriage! So be it, but please don't make it feminism's fault that people now are more into sex than anything else!

You are either against sex without marriage because it's immoral or wrong or irreligious

or not

It's wrong for both men or women

not solely wrong and shameful for women!

We are equal, it's just that you are not ready to believe that!

Years of religious and political brain washing made you believe that men work harder than women!

They both work hard.

They both deserve same amount of salary.

Saying they don't betrays all women, I am so sad to read this coming from another woman!

They don't deserve to have more than their female colleagues, unless they are better worker! Which in many cases they are not

and so now what?

OMG guys are depressed and playing video games because of feminism

are you serious?

Some Guys are playing video games because video games is addicting, and because they find it easier to turn into slobs

It's not Feminism fault, it's how the new generation are raised

Its all about me, fun, sex, money, and let's drink and get high!;)

You are not feminist at All!

You think like any girl I knew back home, who they weren't feminists at all

and since I know the hell I came from

I can recognize who is feminist and who is anti feminist

Thank you because you believe we have the right to study, vote, and work!

Edited by Noproblem

Yes, and no.

I support certain definitions of feminism, namely equality and freedom for all.

I do think that some people take it to an extreme, to either justify misandry or to pigeonhole women into a different sort of constraint. Vilifying men and vilifying women who use their freedom of choice to participate in traditional roles. I want nothing to do with these people.

• Like 2
todreaminblue

I am over the moon to be a woman......i dont believe in feminism i do believe in being feminine...i also believe i can shoot an slr rifle wear combat boots and be feminine because i love being a woman......doesnt mean i have to be helpless.....

i feel there are some jobs that women are not suitable for....one is having to slice a guys throat open in war time.....i dont mind following a chain of command where a man is leading............i believe in the sisterhood...i also believe in peoplehood brotherhood and any other type of hood that unites people as one peoples...in unity there is strength, unity exists and can be had somewhere between a fond hello and a sad goodbye....still doesnt mean i want the job of slicing a guys throat open in war time...feminism in my mind has done damage to a delicate equilibrium and gone in the opposite direction....too much is as bad as too little......deb

• Like 3
Nikki Sahagin

Yes, I am. I believe in equality between the sexes. To me, feminism is by definition a belief in equality. I do believe there are differences between the genders but I also believe that there are differences between individuals meaning that rules/judgements based purely on gender are wrong, limiting and unfair on individuals. I am proud to consider myself a feminist but I perhaps belief that there should be an updated word: humanist - designed to mean the respect, care and rights of ALL people.

• Like 1

I`ve always been in touch with my feminine side. Can i say that as bloke in skinny jeans? Mind you i always feel more comfy in a floral dress.;)

• Like 2

My feelings towards feminism are perfectly described by Roxane Gay in her essay "Bad Feminist"... I strongly recommend all of you to google for the pdf and read it.

Imo, I believe feminism should be about equal rights for both sexes, and the ability of women and all other genders (if you know what I mean) to do what they want, whether that be traditional, ambitious, both of these things etc. I think it's supposed to create some freedom for ANYBODY who felt under pressure by a (come on we cannot deny this is the truth:) male-dominated world.

• Like 3
My feelings towards feminism are perfectly described by Roxane Gay in her essay "Bad Feminist"... I strongly recommend all of you to google for the pdf and read it.

Imo, I believe feminism should be about equal rights for both sexes, and the ability of women and all other genders (if you know what I mean) to do what they want, whether that be traditional, ambitious, both of these things etc. I think it's supposed to create some freedom for ANYBODY who felt under pressure by a (come on we cannot deny this is the truth:) male-dominated world.

Your definition is perfect. One thing I would correct: that's not what feminism "should be" that's what feminism IS.

It's a bad stereotype that feminism is only about women's rights. Women's rights can't exist without the balance of equal men's rights.

• Like 3