I have a hard time getting over grudges/past hurts

I have always tried to be a good person to people. I have always tried to do what's right by family and everyone else. But I feel that nobody truly cares how I feel. I have been flaked on, ditched, screwed, and hurt way too many times to count. I feel that I have become a doormat for everyone to step on and **** on. I try to move on, but the memories are still vivid. No matter how many times people tell me to just get over it, I just have a hard time putting it in the past. I don't know if there is anybody who has suffered from this problem, but I want to deal with it so I can have healthy relationships with people again.

I feel you man. I have the exact same issue - I'm particularly bitter about past failed relationships, all the rejections, the misunderstandings, the struggle to find someone and being rejected harshly again. That feeling of bitterness runs deep and has never truly gone away since I was in my early 20s almost 10 years ago when my a girl I was dating left me without saying a word.

I don't think it ever really goes away until your truly happy with your life and where you're going, so the solution is to use it.

The only way to move forward is to use that displeasure as a motivation to make yourself happier in your career, lifestyle, love life etc.

OR just go on a rampage and shoot everyone :-P

• Author
I feel you man. I have the exact same issue - I'm particularly bitter about past failed relationships, all the rejections, the misunderstandings, the struggle to find someone and being rejected harshly again. That feeling of bitterness runs deep and has never truly gone away since I was in my early 20s almost 10 years ago when my a girl I was dating left me without saying a word.

I don't think it ever really goes away until your truly happy with your life and where you're going, so the solution is to use it.

The only way to move forward is to use that displeasure as a motivation to make yourself happier in your career, lifestyle, love life etc.

OR just go on a rampage and shoot everyone :-P

Well that's the problem. I am not happy with my life and where I am right now. I don't like the college that I am in and I hate the classes. I have other dream I want to pursue, but I can't do them in this crappy college town. I think I need a semester off.

If people are treating you like crap, it's understandable to be resentful towards them. I've dealt with similar problems and it seems that if you're a nice, genuine person there are always people looking to take advantage of it.

I just cut toxic people like this out (Im talking people you've given the benefit of the doubt, just for them to start taking the p*ss again) and then I start to get over it. Plus, it means I avoid having to deal with their crap again in the future.

As you get older, you learn to put boundaries in place. Put yourself, and your happiness, first. If someone's bringing you down by trying to treat you like a doormat, don't put up with it and walk away. As you get some distance from them, any ill-feeling you have towards them will go away.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on the same boat. People are constantly telling me how I'm such a nice person and how they hope that I never change that trait, but most of these people are the ones using my niceness to their advantage/benefit.

I really wish I could tell everyone to just f*ck off sometimes but that's just not in my nature & I'd never want to willingly hurt someone so I refrain from telling people this, even though it can be REALLY hard!

What's worked best for me is writing down things that I like, love &/or dislike about myself. Sometimes I do it everyday, every other, once a week etc. It really depends on how I'm feeling and if I've successfully managed to make improvements to what I had previously noted that I disliked about myself.

My teacher in high school taught me this and told me that the purpose behind it was to; 1. Get YOU to identify what you felt your strengths and weaknesses are. 2. Help you see yourself in a better light by realizing that you really do have things about yourself you like, even if there's maybe just a few of them. 3. Help you see your weeknesses and devise a plan to improve them. 4. Get to know YOURSELF by actually having to think about yourself for once.

It actually had worked for me, when I've remembered to stick with it. It's worth a try for anyone willing.

• Like 1