Taking a 90 degree turn

Hello,

I am 59. I have been a workaholic all of my professional life. I am getting out of a 37 year marriage that has been very damaging to my self esteem which has put me on the brink of suicide more than once. Since I have decided to divorce my wife, I feel like I have just been let out of jail. Now I can find myself and discover out who I am.

Here are my issues: I'm bipolar type 2, I'm 5' 7" and weigh about 195. I have hypoglycemia and severe asthma. I have a fused ankle which limits the type of physical activity I can do. I am allergic to abut 33 different foods, and I should eat 6 times a day (small amounts of course) to manage my hypoglycemia. The last time I did any real exercise was in college. I am a true workaholic. A 12 hour day is normal for me. When necessary I can work 30+ hours straight without a break.

The decision to leave my wife was very recent and my children (20 and 27 with a child) are thinking that I am frivolously leaving them just to "find myself". This hurts a lot.

My goal is to 1) Exercise 4 or 5 times a week, 2) Take better care of my Asthma, 3) Put the effort in to have the diet I should have and 4) Not the least, find out who Joe is.

I am sure that exercising and eating better would help me in eliminating some of my problems (opportunities some would say).

I am working with my therapist to understand what the male ego is all about. I am reading a book called Iron John by Robert Bly and I intend to get deeper into the philosophy of Joseph Campbell and Michael Mead.

I am looking for someone with whom I can share this journey.

I love Joseph Campbell and can definitely identify with being a workaholic.

I have successfully found more balance in my life but for a time, work was thrilling but all-consuming.

I am not in your age bracket and enjoy pretty good health (knock wood) but I would welcome hearing about your journey and would offer any support I can.

Hope you keep posting.

• Like 1

Hi Joe,

You will find mixed and diverse opinions here so give it a go.

GL

Hello,

I am 59. I have been a workaholic all of my professional life. I am getting out of a 37 year marriage that has been very damaging to my self esteem which has put me on the brink of suicide more than once. Since I have decided to divorce my wife, I feel like I have just been let out of jail. Now I can find myself and discover out who I am.

Here are my issues: I'm bipolar type 2, I'm 5' 7" and weigh about 195. I have hypoglycemia and severe asthma. I have a fused ankle which limits the type of physical activity I can do. I am allergic to abut 33 different foods, and I should eat 6 times a day (small amounts of course) to manage my hypoglycemia. The last time I did any real exercise was in college. I am a true workaholic. A 12 hour day is normal for me. When necessary I can work 30+ hours straight without a break.

The decision to leave my wife was very recent and my children (20 and 27 with a child) are thinking that I am frivolously leaving them just to "find myself". This hurts a lot.

My goal is to 1) Exercise 4 or 5 times a week, 2) Take better care of my Asthma, 3) Put the effort in to have the diet I should have and 4) Not the least, find out who Joe is.

I am sure that exercising and eating better would help me in eliminating some of my problems (opportunities some would say).

I am working with my therapist to understand what the male ego is all about. I am reading a book called Iron John by Robert Bly and I intend to get deeper into the philosophy of Joseph Campbell and Michael Mead.

I am looking for someone with whom I can share this journey.

• Like 1

The workaholic tendencies can work for you and against you. On one hand, you can direct some of that energy towards taking better care of yourself. OTOH, you have to have to have the time to take care of yourself.

That means (1) having the time to exercise, (2) having the time to prepare and eat healthy meals, and (3) getting enough sleep.

Unless you make enough money to afford not having to cook, you will need to cut back on your work hours. Direct that energy toward exercise.

I recommend posting a thread in the physical health forum asking for suggestions of exercises you can do despite your ankle. There are plenty of upper body exercises that won't involve the ankle at all. The trick could be finding adequate cardio, but even walking will help tremendously in the long run.

Welcome aboard.