2nd Bachelor's degree at 28?

most_distant_galaxy

Hello :) I will try to be short.

I was always an artistic person. quite creative and intuitive. When I was in high school, I wanted to be a graphic designer or a photographer. But when the time came to pick a field of studies, I was influenced by my parents and chose something "safer". Of course my parents meant well, and they have always been very supportive, in the sense that I can do a second degree after I finish the "safe" one.

So, now, I have a Bachelor's degree in computer science and a Master's degree in the same field. At the moment I am working for a small company. The hours are long, the working environment is nice, the pay is allright. I'm good at my job, but the thing is that I am realizing more and more that this field is not for me. And I know in my heart, that even though I am good, I will never be amazing at what I do.

I am more interested in beauty than in functionality. I am absolutely crazy about beautiful packaging and smart branding. I love reading design books, learning about colors, design principles, user experience. So, as you may imagine, I feel the urge to change completely field of studies and work, and jump to graphic design. I want to pursue a bachelor's degree and then continue from there.

Unfortunately, I just decided this, and registrations for the college I want are closed. So I will have to go next year. But that's allright. I have my job for now to keep me occupied.

The thing is, that the contract with the company expires in June. So, I'm thinking that after summer, I would like to concentrate on my new bachelor's degree. My best friend thinks that I should find another job and study at the same time, so my change won't be too risky.

Money is not a factor to consider. But do you think it's too great a risk to invest 3 years only on my studies at the age of 28? Shall I be romantic and concentrate on my dream with the danger of having less working experience in case graphic design doesnt work out? I am afraid that I will burn out if I work and study at the same time. I was working throughout my master's studies and it was very tough. I almost collapsed because I also had some health problems and a lot of stress.

I would love to hear your opinion. Feel free to share experiences and advice about complete career change, 2nd bachelor's degree and everything you think is related.

Oh, I'm so scared and so excited at the same time!

Edited by most_distant_galaxy
  • Author
most_distant_galaxy

Thank you for your encouraging words Donnivain. I appreciate them very much.

Of course more opinions/experiences regarding this topic are most welcome. :)

Sure do it if you can. Don't see why not.

Isn't there a masters program you can enrol in with your previous study? I have no clue about your field but isn't graphic design fairly IT related. Game design maybe? That has a lot of elements you are looking for.

• Like 1
skydiveaddict
Hello :)

Hello.:) yourself. Hell I didn't even get one 'till I was 34. Don't sweat it. I'm sure you will do very well.

• Like 2

Life is short. If you have the financial means to support yourself and to pay for your second bachelor's degree in a field that interests you and is a passion for you, then why not go for it? There should be no doubt in your mind that 3 years is really a short period of time in the whole scheme of things.

• Like 1
  • Author
most_distant_galaxy
Sure do it if you can. Don't see why not.

Isn't there a masters program you can enrol in with your previous study? I have no clue about your field but isn't graphic design fairly IT related. Game design maybe? That has a lot of elements you are looking for.

Hallo Priv! Thank you for your encouraging words. Are you in the game design field? It s a wonderful field indeed, but I don't have the curiosity for it, as much as I have for graphic design. The fields of Graphic design I am interested in the most are User Interface Design, packaging and corporate identity. Unfortunately, the masters I have found in my area are research masters. The thing is that I feel the need for a solid foundation from the start, since I never had any art education (only a little bit at school - it was my favorite time of the week, and in my free time as self-taught). So I think I should start from the basics.

• Author
most_distant_galaxy
Hello.:) yourself. Hell I didn't even get one 'till I was 34. Don't sweat it. I'm sure you will do very well.

Thank you skydiveaddict (nice dangerous nickname)! Your words are encouraging. How was the degree in your 30s as an experience? Did you go full time of part time?

• Author
most_distant_galaxy
Life is short. If you have the financial means to support yourself and to pay for your second bachelor's degree in a field that interests you and is a passion for you, then why not go for it? There should be no doubt in your mind that 3 years is really a short period of time in the whole scheme of things.

I really appreciate your realistic and at the same time dreamy view writergal. You are right, 3 years is nothing in a lifetime of let's say 60-70 years the least. I don't know why the idea of indistry change is so stressful for me. I guess it's a small fear of change.

• Like 1
Hallo Priv! Thank you for your encouraging words. Are you in the game design field? It s a wonderful field indeed, but I don't have the curiosity for it, as much as I have for graphic design. The fields of Graphic design I am interested in the most are User Interface Design, packaging and corporate identity. Unfortunately, the masters I have found in my area are research masters. The thing is that I feel the need for a solid foundation from the start, since I never had any art education (only a little bit at school - it was my favorite time of the week, and in my free time as self-taught). So I think I should start from the basics.

Nah, no experience at all. Just thinking in practical terms since you already have a masters that it shouldn't be problem to do another one in a slightly related field. Would save you 3 years if also going for a MA in design and a higher qualification. A research masters actually doesn't sound too bad to me. You learn a ton about whatever you are doing as project, and like you said you already do know a lot about design through self study.

Would actually make for a great CV. Not sure what the word is, maybe pyramid CV, where you have broad knowledge in computer science with a specialization in design (user design interfaces for example).

But that's my opinion, and I am not at all knowledgable about design and/or computer science. Not trying to discourage you doing a bachelor first. Just trying to think along :)

• Like 1

The first question I'd ask you OP is where you live, or rather, do you live in a populated enough area that there will be graphic design jobs?

I have two good friends who went to four-year universities for graphic design. Both have been chronically unemployed with some freelance work on the side.

• Like 1
  • Author
most_distant_galaxy
Nah, no experience at all. Just thinking in practical terms since you already have a masters that it shouldn't be problem to do another one in a slightly related field. Would save you 3 years if also going for a MA in design and a higher qualification. A research masters actually doesn't sound too bad to me. You learn a ton about whatever you are doing as project, and like you said you already do know a lot about design through self study.

Would actually make for a great CV. Not sure what the word is, maybe pyramid CV, where you have broad knowledge in computer science with a specialization in design (user design interfaces for example).

But that's my opinion, and I am not at all knowledgable about design and/or computer science. Not trying to discourage you doing a bachelor first. Just trying to think along :)

The truth is that if you know a bit of programming as a designer it can be an asset, because you know how to collaborate better with programmers, if you go to the UI/UX pecialization; or be a one-man/woman show. Design is for beauty and usability, and programming is for functionality. It's two entirely different jobs and fields, with different sets of principles. I only worry that I may not have enough foundation from self-study alone. On the other hand, I have read stories from people who became designers without having a degree.

Pyramid CV? That's something I never heard about before. Thanks for mentioning it :) I certainly appreciate you sharing your point of view, and I take into account as many opinions as I can get!

• Author
most_distant_galaxy
The first question I'd ask you OP is where you live, or rather, do you live in a populated enough area that there will be graphic design jobs?

I have two good friends who went to four-year universities for graphic design. Both have been chronically unemployed with some freelance work on the side.

The area is not densely populated, unfortunately. There are jobs for graphic designers though, especially the ones that specialize in web design. And they make good money.

Are your friends good designers? What are their specialties?

Well, I don't believe in abruptly leaving your career to pursue a "dream"...I mean, jobs are to put food on the table. If you find something you enjoy doing and it pays the bills - wonderful, but if you don't I think there's other ways you can live out your dream...

Maybe you can seek out volunteer work in the field you're trying to pursue...That way you still have your 9 to 5, but can see what working in the new field is like, get free experience, and make professional connections.

Maybe you can seek out internships...Sometimes going back to school helps cuz to qualify for internships they are looking for current students and/or recent graduates.

Also, you can look at freelancing. Some people go to websites where they advertise their skills and sorta take on work as it comes. Again, you can end up keeping your 9 to 5 and pursue your dream job/career at your own pace.

Age doesn't matter for me...I went back to school recently cuz although I have my Masters and Bachelors, where I work now, I needed more classes and/or certification in that field to be considered for promotions. Also, I still had money in my G.I. Bill to take advantage of. So, I went back, completed some certifications, another Associates, and almost competed my fourth Associates (lol).

I mean, regardless of age, you gotta be ready to face possible changes in your career. When the economy failed, many people got hit cuz they were doing the same thing for 20 years.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!!!

Edited by Gloria25
  • Like 2

I think that provided that you devote a good chunk of your efforts in school towards securing gainful employment for when you complete the program then you should do just fine, especially considering that the "work" will be driven by genuine passion.

Is there any way you can continue to work while pursuing your degree? Even a consulting or part-time role in your field will help keep you still grounded in your current profession. Money aside, it will also help to keep your confidence bolstered as you'll have a more readily available fallback plan. Sometimes just the knowledge of having one can prevent a tremendous amount of stress and allow you to focus on your studies.

I've quit my high paying yet unsatisfying job to pursue a career in psychology, though I'm arranging my course load in a way that leaves me open to more easily pursue a medical degree. I'm 33 and inspired by my older sister, who at 31, dropped her dreadful job as a technical writer to pursue a career in medicine. I know plenty of other people with similar stories.

So long as you're honest with yourself about the job and earnings potentials, which does require research, discussions with school program & career advisers, connecting with mentors, staying within the industry loop and pushing your comfort zone, your chances of success are very high.

• Like 2

My observation is that graphic design is not something you genuinely need a degree for, especially if you already have a primary degree in a semi-related field. I know several people without graphic design degrees who eventually got into UX, web, and computer design by starting out on the tech side. A good compromise is a junior web designer position for a small company. Chances are you will still need to do front-end coding (which is why they hired you), but if they are small and don't have a dedicated graphic designer then you may be making the design calls as well.

IMO doing those gigs and gradually branching into design will help you more than a degree will, because you will actually have a portfolio to show for it. If money TRULY isn't an issue, an option is to start your own web design company and do a one-man show for simple websites (minimal coding, more design). But that has its own risks.

Good luck!

• Like 2

Life is far too short to have a dream and not try to chase it...

Stop farting about and go for it.

You have the finances to do it, the will to do it, no reason why you shouldn't do it, so why are you asking us if you should be doing it... Tell us you are doing it!

Good Luck!

• Like 3

Life is too short to do something you don't want, just to be ''safe.'' I mean what's more important? Have a lot of money and be unhappy, or maybe have less money for some time but having your hobby as your job?

We live once OP. ONCE.

I started a 2nd bachelors' at 26. English literature..was my hobby since I was 15 or something. I never regretted it. Many people tried to discourage me because according to them soooo many people have studied English blablablabla. SO WHAT? It is I who is going to be happy right? What do I care if many others have studied the field before me :S. People can be so narrow minded sometimes. I think that's because their own spirit isn't free.

Go for it.

• Like 2

"Money is not a factor to consider. But do you think it's too great a risk to invest 3 years only on my studies at the age of 28? Shall I be romantic and concentrate on my dream with the danger of having less working experience in case graphic design doesnt work out? "

Why is money not a factor to consider? If you don't need an income, perhaps you could just pursuit it as a hobby? At least until you can get good enough at it to acquire customers and go out on your own and have your own business.

• Like 1
  • Author
most_distant_galaxy
Well, I don't believe in abruptly leaving your career to pursue a "dream"...I mean, jobs are to put food on the table. If you find something you enjoy doing and it pays the bills - wonderful, but if you don't I think there's other ways you can live out your dream...

Maybe you can seek out volunteer work in the field you're trying to pursue...That way you still have your 9 to 5, but can see what working in the new field is like, get free experience, and make professional connections.

Maybe you can seek out internships...Sometimes going back to school helps cuz to qualify for internships they are looking for current students and/or recent graduates.

Also, you can look at freelancing. Some people go to websites where they advertise their skills and sorta take on work as it comes. Again, you can end up keeping your 9 to 5 and pursue your dream job/career at your own pace.

Age doesn't matter for me...I went back to school recently cuz although I have my Masters and Bachelors, where I work now, I needed more classes and/or certification in that field to be considered for promotions. Also, I still had money in my G.I. Bill to take advantage of. So, I went back, completed some certifications, another Associates, and almost competed my fourth Associates (lol).

I mean, regardless of age, you gotta be ready to face possible changes in your career. When the economy failed, many people got hit cuz they were doing the same thing for 20 years.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!!!

Hello Gloria. Thank you for your post and your wish. It's quite helpful to get feedback from a fellow lifelong learner. Yes, ideally I would love to do internships while on school, and this is one of the reasons I want to go back there (+networking/mentors/opportunities from companies and contests). Freelancing is good and would be as nice for me as working for a company. While looking for opportunities, I would like build a portfolio, which I'm doing, with what I've learnt so far. Making small projects for myself and showing them off. I am trying to build an identity, and I think I can at some point acquire identity as a professional. Thankfully, graphic design can be combined with both my Bachelors and my Masters at the workplace. I'm also certainly looking for volunteering opportunities, but I have not seen many in the field till now. But I don't stop looking.

I am wishing you also a lovely graduation ceremony. :D

• Author
most_distant_galaxy
I think that provided that you devote a good chunk of your efforts in school towards securing gainful employment for when you complete the program then you should do just fine, especially considering that the "work" will be driven by genuine passion.

Is there any way you can continue to work while pursuing your degree? Even a consulting or part-time role in your field will help keep you still grounded in your current profession. Money aside, it will also help to keep your confidence bolstered as you'll have a more readily available fallback plan. Sometimes just the knowledge of having one can prevent a tremendous amount of stress and allow you to focus on your studies.

I've quit my high paying yet unsatisfying job to pursue a career in psychology, though I'm arranging my course load in a way that leaves me open to more easily pursue a medical degree. I'm 33 and inspired by my older sister, who at 31, dropped her dreadful job as a technical writer to pursue a career in medicine. I know plenty of other people with similar stories.

So long as you're honest with yourself about the job and earnings potentials, which does require research, discussions with school program & career advisers, connecting with mentors, staying within the industry loop and pushing your comfort zone, your chances of success are very high.

OwMyEyeballs :laugh: Im laughing with your nickname.

Thank you for your advice. I like your and your sister's stories. They are quite inspiring. I do feel strongly graphic design is the field for me. I'm daydreaming about doing this job. I never had this kind of sentiment for my current field, and I never felt like myself with it, even though I enjoyed it at times.

I volunteer as a consultant in my free time, to people who have done things for me in the past, so I don't take any money from them. It would be great to find a part time job though, after June. There aren't many part-time jobs in my field, but I have been in touch with some old managers of mine and let them know that I would gladly work with them part time if they ever needed support. This would be truly ideal indeed.

• Author
most_distant_galaxy
My observation is that graphic design is not something you genuinely need a degree for, especially if you already have a primary degree in a semi-related field. I know several people without graphic design degrees who eventually got into UX, web, and computer design by starting out on the tech side. A good compromise is a junior web designer position for a small company. Chances are you will still need to do front-end coding (which is why they hired you), but if they are small and don't have a dedicated graphic designer then you may be making the design calls as well.

IMO doing those gigs and gradually branching into design will help you more than a degree will, because you will actually have a portfolio to show for it. If money TRULY isn't an issue, an option is to start your own web design company and do a one-man show for simple websites (minimal coding, more design). But that has its own risks.

Good luck!

Hello Elswyth. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it.

You are right, I don't really need a degree to do this job. Even though there are benefits when following a program, and not only educational. Networking and building connection with other designers is quite important in fields with a lot of freelancers. Money isn't an issue for covering the studies. I have worked hard the last years, so I can "treat" myself. But I have also thought of looking for a web designer job opening. Thank you for mentioning that. I would love this as an internship for sure. This is a kind of job I would gladly do while studying, because it wouldn't be as distracting and irrelevant as the one I do right now. For now I just want to build a portfolio and see where I can go from there.

• Like 1
  • Author
most_distant_galaxy
Life is far too short to have a dream and not try to chase it...

Stop farting about and go for it.

You have the finances to do it, the will to do it, no reason why you shouldn't do it, so why are you asking us if you should be doing it... Tell us you are doing it!

Good Luck!

Hey toodaloo, thank you for the encouragement. This "farting about" phrase made me laugh.

No, I don't ask you permission to do it. I just wonder whether I should work in parallel in my current field or not.

• Author
most_distant_galaxy
Life is too short to do something you don't want, just to be ''safe.'' I mean what's more important? Have a lot of money and be unhappy, or maybe have less money for some time but having your hobby as your job?

We live once OP. ONCE.

I started a 2nd bachelors' at 26. English literature..was my hobby since I was 15 or something. I never regretted it. Many people tried to discourage me because according to them soooo many people have studied English blablablabla. SO WHAT? It is I who is going to be happy right? What do I care if many others have studied the field before me :S. People can be so narrow minded sometimes. I think that's because their own spirit isn't free.

Go for it.

Hey Sercay. Thanks for your reply. Yes, my thoughts exactly. I only live once and will DIE. So at least let's die doodling. I definitely prefer less money and spending my time HAPPY.

Im glad you studied something you were passionate about since so young. I relate, because I liked to draw since I was 4. Are you studying right now, or have you graduated? How is it going with you?