Moving to Europe?

LoveIsMyReligion

I've lived in the US my entire life and enjoyed it for the most part. I'm in my mid-twenties and recently settled down into a cushy job that pays well.. I even bought a pretty house!

Now that everything is in-place the last puzzle piece is to find "the one" and settle down.. But after doing some research and dating a few people I've come to the realization that even if I had the pretty girl, beautiful home, and great salary I wouldn't be happy...

Something inside of me is telling me to move to Europe and experience some of the things I've always wanted to experience there.. I need something new because this 9-5 business is eating me alive.

Currently I'm looking for jobs overseas and am willing to take a pay cut if it means moving to northern Europe or even Scandinavia... Someone tell me I'm crazy?

sdrawkcaB ssA

They are different people so brush up on their culture.

If you are from the mid-west, Scandinavia will be almost as warm as home. heheheheeh!!!

I would move to the UK if I were able to, but my SM is married and to be near by would damage her home life with her family. The way things are going here in the states, if I had not met my SM, I'd make an effort to move.

The only thing that draws tourism in the states is big cities and western culture. Most everything else can be found abroad, and some ways without as much interference with commercialization. Like lets go see the Goodyear Colosseum in Rome. HA!!!

most_distant_galaxy

No, you are not crazy! You need new experiences. Go ahead and do what you want. I am also in a transitional phase right now and I understand how you feel!

• Like 1

Don't get hungup on salaries. Check the salary compared to the national average, not your current salary in the States. On these boards I often hear people speak 6 figure + salaries. I can only speak for the Netherlands but f.e. a CEO/director usually doesn't make more than 200k (euro). A sales manager at google makes about 80k, so barely scratching the 6 figures taking in mind conversion rates. Average here is I believe around 30-35k. This does not mean a lower living standard though compared to the US.

International positions usually call for the local language + English + preferrably a third one. So brush up on your language skills. Local positions you will need to master the local language. Does your present company have a European HQ, that would be easiest. I believe hiring a non-European has some laws regarding hiring non-EU personnel, including having the position open to European citizens first before hiring outsiders. But I am no expert at that.

Besides that, do it! It is fun and you will grow living in a foreign country.

• Like 2

If your career is mobile, no reason to deny yourself the experience of exploring the world while working. Lots of people do. IMO, when you're young, that's the best time to do it.

The main thing I noted when considering ex-pat'ing was my lack of language skills, especially in the FSU/CIS, as very few people spoke/wrote English amongst those I interacted with. In northern Europe, perhaps less so, but language skills are still important, especially for work.

I haven't been to Scandinavia, but did notice in Germany that things were more 'regimented', at least compared to the laid-back atmosphere here at home in Cali. Other cultures had other differences, hence such differences are something to watch for and be accepting of.

Have fun!

• Like 1
  • Author
LoveIsMyReligion

Thanks for the advise all!

It's definitely a scary move seeing that I've always had friends and family to fall-back on but I feel like if I don't do it now I never will.

@Priv

Having EU and US citizenship should make things much easier I presume. :D

Try before you buy.

Europe has a vast array of cultures and languages, some of which you may fall completely in love with and others that will have you racing back to the train station.

What's your heritage? That should give you some idea of where to visit first.