Mr Nate's Self Improvement Thread For Men!

This was a long time coming.

I've decided to create this thread for a few reasons. The main one serving as a central place where I can document my journeys on improving myself in all aspects of my life. As well as keeping good documentation of my progress.

Some big goals I personally have for the immediate future at the time include getting my business off the ground, building my wardrobe, relocating to a different state and leaning out a bit.

I'll be personally keeping track of that here.

However, I also invite other men to document their progress here as well. If this site shows you anything, it's that it's way to easy to complain about something, rather than do something about it. So I invite you to list your goals and document your progress as well.

I'd prefer the progress reports be limited to just men because the prevalent belief that women apparently 'just have it easier' that exists here. So this will help keep the excuses away. Though I would like the women to offer insight/advice/encouragement for any man who chooses to participate as well. (Even if it's just me here:cool:)

With that said.. here. we. go.:cool:

• Like 4

Well done, Nate. :)

I look forward to reading how you address your height challenge.

All the best.

• Like 3
  • Author

So the last few nights I've been waking up with some serious cramps. (No not those) in my legs, particularly in my inner thigh and yikes, it hurt so bad. It's also happened a few times already.

I think it's a tell sign that my body is in some form dehydrated. So after dealing with a particular bad one this morning, I think I will be cutting off on the soda for a while. Admittedly, I have been drinking a lot more than I should, so I'm wondering if it was my body telling me it was time to cut back a little.

It's gonna suck (lawd a good coke is good) but it's necessary. My body really doesn't need them.

So the last few nights I've been waking up with some serious cramps. (No not those) in my legs, particularly in my inner thigh and yikes, it hurt so bad. It's also happened a few times already.

I hope that it is indeed dehydration. I know a guy who gets terrible spasms at the drop of a dime. We're talking down on the ground sweating in extreme pain. Hydration doesn't seem to help any, and doctors just shrug.

• Author
I hope that it is indeed dehydration. I know a guy who gets terrible spasms at the drop of a dime. We're talking down on the ground sweating in extreme pain. Hydration doesn't seem to help any, and doctors just shrug.

So I've managed to narrow it down to possibly being a deficiency in potassium. I've managed to stock up on some gatorade/powerade and sure enough, everything feels better already.

I know I'm probably feeling like this due to taking a certain diuretic for a month so I hear those can really deplete the minerals that keep cramps away. So I guess in the mean time I'll have to make sure I keep my supply up in my body.

I hope this helps me out.

• Like 2
  • Author

So I found out my aunt has a brain tumor and she's not holding up well.

She's getting surgery on Thursday.

And here I am worrying about little **** in my life that really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Maybe it's time I rethink some things over.

I really hope her procedure goes well. I don't want to lose another person I knew in just 30 days.

• Author
I'm very sorry to hear that Nate.

Are you very close with her?

Not supremely, but she's been around since I was a very young boy.

She's my ma's sis in law. Actually one of the few in laws who did not give my mom stress. Others would give her hell year in and year out. While this aunt was one of the few who would drive way out to check on her.

I really, really hope she pulls through.

• Like 3

I really, really hope she pulls through.

I really hope so too. She sounds like a sweetheart.

• Like 2

And here I am worrying about little **** in my life that really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Maybe it's time I rethink some things over.

I know what you mean - whenever we've had a crisis, I wonder why I get tangled up in such stupid things and thoughts, but I've found that if I don't, and I'm too focused on the fact that I could lose someone at any moment (so appreciate this, and don't let that upset you too much), then I have trouble getting out of bed, too depressed at the idea that life can be so short, and/or so cruel.

As my Dad says, when we see an ambulance or fire truck rushing through the streets, "Well, we're having a better day than someone." It tends to cut complaints short. I'm still trying to find a balance between getting too upset by things, and being all too aware, you know?

I hope that she will pull through. ♥

Edited by Anela
  • Like 4

I really hope her procedure goes well. I don't want to lose another person I knew in just 30 days.

Don't be hard on yourself, Nate.

There's nothing wrong with self-improvement. You're trying to be your best self.

I am sorry this has happened. :(

• Like 1
  • Author
Don't be hard on yourself, Nate.

There's nothing wrong with self-improvement. You're trying to be your best self.

I am sorry this has happened. :(

I know what you mean - whenever we've had a crisis, I wonder why I get tangled up in such stupid things and thoughts, but I've found that if I don't, and I'm too focused on the fact that I could lose someone at any moment (so appreciate this, and don't let that upset you too much), then I have trouble getting out of bed, too depressed at the idea that life can be so short, and/or so cruel.

As my Dad says, when we see an ambulance or fire truck rushing through the streets, "Well, we're having a better day than someone." It tends to cut complaints short. I'm still trying to find a balance between getting too upset by things, and being all too aware, you know?

I hope that she will pull through. ♥

I really hope so too. She sounds like a sweetheart.

Thanks, ladies. I just don't understand why this happens to good people like her.

• Author
Bananas & Water > Gatorade

Yeah. I picked up some bananas as well.

I figured that may be a better idea than ingesting too much sugar.

• Like 2
Thanks, ladies. I just don't understand why this happens to good people like her.

It doesn't make sense to me either but I hope your family is faithful and realizes that God is the Master Planner and He only creates Masterpieces.

Call on Him. He will be right by your side if you do.

• Like 2
  • Author
It doesn't make sense to me either but I hope your family is faithful and realizes that God is the Master Planner and He only creates Masterpieces.

Call on Him. He will be right by your side if you do.

Thanks, babe. I'm not as much of a believer as I used to be, but I'll do my best to keep my head up.

• Like 3
  • Author

So today, I am off to tackle fashion.

This is probably one area where I can stand to benefit a great deal from. I guess like most men, I've been raised to choose comfort and practicality over actually being fashionable.

Whether I like it or not, little things like that can make the world of difference with things like how I feel about myself, and how women perceive the kind of guy I am. Essentially, I think this is a change I can benefit from all around. So I'm making a change.

I have a basic idea of things that match, but I never did 'experiment' too much.

So I guess a question for the ladies/fashionable fellas out there. Are there any particular rules of thumb that I absolutely must follow in the fashion world?

• Like 1
  • Author

Made more progress with the business yesterday. Given my inconsistent work schedule, I'm finding it's best for me to outsource as much of the work as I can.

The biggest one being the leads. I should start to see some leads from interested business owners coming in next week. My only hope is that I have time to go out on the scheduled days and close some deals!

Edited by MrNate 2.0
  • Like 1

Hello,

I am really sorry to hear about your aunt. I will keep her in my thoughts.

Yeah. I picked up some bananas as well.

I figured that may be a better idea than ingesting too much sugar.

Gatorade also has a lot of salt - something I've never understood since it's supposed to hydrate you. I also suffer from leg cramps and what I do is drink mineral water. Its a bit more expensive, but you dont have to drink it exclusively, just add a glass to the water you already consume in a day.

So today, I am off to tackle fashion.

This is probably one area where I can stand to benefit a great deal from. I guess like most men, I've been raised to choose comfort and practicality over actually being fashionable.

Whether I like it or not, little things like that can make the world of difference with things like how I feel about myself, and how women perceive the kind of guy I am. Essentially, I think this is a change I can benefit from all around. So I'm making a change.

I have a basic idea of things that match, but I never did 'experiment' too much.

So I guess a question for the ladies/fashionable fellas out there. Are there any particular rules of thumb that I absolutely must follow in the fashion world?

I think that one should worry less about what matches - and give an eye to what fits. So many times I see men with shirts that are too tight and smaller built guys in clothes that swim on them.

My advice would be to take the time to try on multiple sizes of clothes when you go shopping, keeping in mind that sizes vary between brands.

Another tip would be to find out what colors suit you. Do you have blue eyes and get compliments when you wear blue? Do you find you like the way brown looks on you more than black?

Men in some ways have it easier when it comes to shopping but once you know what fits and what colors you look good in and prefer, you will find that you will come away with a closet of clothes you feel comfortable in.

• Like 1
  • Author
Hello,

I am really sorry to hear about your aunt. I will keep her in my thoughts.

Gatorade also has a lot of salt - something I've never understood since it's supposed to hydrate you. I also suffer from leg cramps and what I do is drink mineral water. Its a bit more expensive, but you dont have to drink it exclusively, just add a glass to the water you already consume in a day.

I think that one should worry less about what matches - and give an eye to what fits. So many times I see men with shirts that are too tight and smaller built guys in clothes that swim on them.

My advice would be to take the time to try on multiple sizes of clothes when you go shopping, keeping in mind that sizes vary between brands.

Another tip would be to find out what colors suit you. Do you have blue eyes and get compliments when you wear blue? Do you find you like the way brown looks on you more than black?

Men in some ways have it easier when it comes to shopping but once you know what fits and what colors you look good in and prefer, you will find that you will come away with a closet of clothes you feel comfortable in.

Hey. Thanks for the input!

1. Thanks for keeping my aunt in your thoughts. She's a great woman and I know she'll pull through.

2. Yeah gatorade is an interesting thing. I drink it more so for the potassium, but apparently the salt helps as well. All in all I guess it's the electrolytes going at work to help with the cramps.

3. In terms of the fashion. Yeah, it's starting to sink in that this will definitely be a process lol. I'm definitely more of the business/casual type. More so casual. I guess one big start may be starting with some nice shoes..like some black/brown ones and then maybe grabbing a few belts that go along with that. Then finding a few shirts/pants/jeans that go along with them.

It's also interesting you mention finding things that actually fit. I've been observing from my beautiful ladies that properly fitting clothes matters immensely more. Especially for guys who like to rock baggy stuff a lot because of the comfort. (guilty :o) So I'm willing to risk things fitting a bit more snug, and just getting use to what properly fitting clothes are supposed to feel like.

Does this mean I need to pick up a cosmo for men? :(

Does this mean I need to pick up a cosmo for men? :(

Oh this did make me laugh! No, not at all. Actually, what I would suggest is to go to a menswear store. It never hurts to have a nice pair of dress pants and shirt. Get some advice on fit from those who work there. What they say will translate into your more casual clothes.

A classic look for a man is always good. From what I've observed most men don't want to have to overthink about their clothes they want to put it on and go - and they want it to look good. To me, classic is the way to go. Don't worry about the trends.

• Like 1

I don't want to sound like a broken record, re: coconut products, but I've just read again that coconut water is great for hydration. If you don't like it by itself, you can blend it into a drink.

• Like 2
  • Author
I don't want to sound like a broken record, re: coconut products, but I've just read again that coconut water is great for hydration. If you don't like it by itself, you can blend it into a drink.

Thanks, beautiful. I'll definitely keep that suggestion in mind. Drinking the same two things does tend to get boring..

I also now have a little cold. I got some alka seltzer, and now I finally understand why it's called a cold.

You really do get cold. Fancy that.:laugh:

A classic look for a man is always good. From what I've observed most men don't want to have to overthink about their clothes they want to put it on and go - and they want it to look good. To me, classic is the way to go. Don't worry about the trends.

This is a good place to start. Some classic pieces, they don't need to be expensive but they have to fit you very well. It's all about the fit, that gives you style straight away. Be prepared that initially you won't have an eye for it and it will take you hours. However with practice and knowing different brands, this will get simpler. You need to worry about trends in the sense that please shop where young people shop (I'm sure I don't need to tell you this) rather than old guys.

Once you get the classics right, you can start experimenting. Looking at other dudes who have a similar build and you like their style. Or something that you would have never thought about wearing. Think what would suit your personality. What little touch would allow it to show through.

It's fun once you start getting the hang of it. When you start appreciating what a good cut does or understand how colours work and why contrast (as opposed to different shades of the same colour) is so much fun. You have the luxury of being able to wear pretty much any colour you want and you look muscular so you have far less to worry about than many men do.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

I'm adding some new clothes to the wardrobe this weekend.

Ohh lawd.

I'm also working on securing some new clients for my business.

This self improvement stuff is making me break a sweat:mad:

Thankfully I look good sweaty.:cool:

• Like 3