I've been considering for a while that I may have depression. I've done my research and it seems the best plausible explanation for how I've been feeling for the last couple of years. I just have no idea how to ask for help. For a while I thought getting help was weak, and I could do it alone, but now I don't see another way out.

Also, I've done something rather bad, I lied to those closest to me, they think I've already been to the doctors but the truth is I have no idea how to go about doing that. What do I say when I can barely comprehend how I'm feeling? I know I need help but I don't know what to make an appointment for (obviously they ask what you want to see your doctor for when you make one) and what to say when I get there.

I need help, I just can't ask for it! Any advice?

You could simply tell "them" that you want to see a doctor because you believe you have depression. However, maybe do some googling ahead of time to determine what treatment options you might be interested in.

• Like 1

Hi lyndaaxo, good thing you're looking at how to get help. You could check online for a psychiatric ambulatorium near you, a place that's a) already specialized in psychiatric medicine and b) allows for people more or less to just walk in, or at least to get an appointment easily and within a short time.

Otherwise go to your normal doctor, or any doctor for that matter, and tell him you want to be examined by a psychiatrist. He can refer you to one.

I hope you will be better soon, with or without treatment.

Umirano

What do I say when I can barely comprehend how I'm feeling? I know I need help but I don't know what to make an appointment for (obviously they ask what you want to see your doctor for when you make one) and what to say when I get there.

I need help, I just can't ask for it! Any advice?

What do you say to whom? Your loved ones?

When the office asks why you want to be seen, say "To be assessed for possible depression."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Just thought I'd update everyone. I wrote down of everything I've been feeling recently, in order to hand it over to the doctor. I just need to work up the courage to book in and keep the appointment. Wish me luck when I (eventually) do it!

• Like 1