My crazy abusive sister died yesterday morning.

On top of that, I'm homeless now, leaving my small town. Family's become abusive.

Have any of you ever been on the streets...how did you deal?

Sorry to hear this.

I was homeless for a short time once, after being chased out of the home by my abusive grandfather. I slept in my car during that time.

I stepped up to the sidewalk :)

Seriously , sorry about your relative.

Are you at a library where you can get online? Any shelter place for you?

Oh my, sorry for your loss. Do you mind if I ask what happened, no worries if you decline sharing.

Do you have transportation? can sleep in your car? At the very least a friends couch. If not then a shelter.

• Author

No...

No money...

No car...

nothing but an EBT card and my social security card.

I'm gonna be hitchhiking 150 miles to the nearest city.

• Author
Oh my, sorry for your loss. Do you mind if I ask what happened, no worries if you decline sharing.

Do you have transportation? can sleep in your car? At the very least a friends couch. If not then a shelter.

Well as you know, my sister died last night.

For the past 3 months she put me through hell....she put me in jail on a false charge. Called the police on a domestic violence charge, charges were later dropped. And then she lost her home due to a nervous breakdown.

She ditched me in another state and left me homeless with no money, ID, food, or anything. I got out, eventually.

I came back home, since I have no ID, no license, no birth certificate(mine is in New York City) I stayed, again with my mom and 7 other people in a trailer park till I got my ID back. We live in a town of 600 people, where the nearest city is 50 miles away.

She lost her home and came to live with us. I couldn't come out of the room because my presence, she threatened to call the police because me being in the house was a danger. My mother believed her for a while and I was shunned from the family.

Well, when she died, I decided to keep her tablet. My mom found out about it and said I was stealing from her children(who are in their 30s and have a laptop, cell phone, and tablets each between them) They said what I was doing was against the law....

I said that she's dead, so it legally(the tablet) belongs to no one.

Then my mother said that if I don't comply that she would never get my bc back from NY...I said that I needed it...see, I don't have any ID. without a BC, I can't get a state issued ID or a license...that is IMPERATIVE in order to work.

So I've been jobless for over a year. I've been hounding her to get it back but it's been excuse after excuse after excuse for over a year. I've done yard work but it isn't a part time or full time job and 10 dollars per job isn't cutting it if I'm only working once a week, and in a town of 600 people, you can imagine how that is.

Today she said I was lucky to ever get it back from her.

For that reason alone...I am leaving.

I gave back the tablet after they threatened to call me over "stolen property" and started packing.

This has been going on for months. I'm not getting anywhere in life in this town. So I'm leaving.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation...

Have you considered "bartering" (i.e. getting a room at someone's place, but in exchange you do work around their house and/or caring for their kids).

Also, I know the military isn't for everyone, but have you considered that option?

Another may be doing contract work overseas. You get shelter, pay, and an opportunity to save.

Check with local churches/shelters. If they don't have room and/or things to give you. They may have resources to guide you to.

Call a hotline like the United Way. I used to volunteer on the phone lines and they gave us lists of places to recommend to people who were having trouble.

Ever considered being a long-haul truck driver? Some places may even pay for your training and again, you get shelter and while you won't make much starting out - you can save the little bit of money you make.

Good luck, hang in there...be careful out there.

• Like 1

That sucks dude.

How come you don't have an ID?

Have you tried to order a copy of your birth certificate?

• Author
That sucks dude.

How come you don't have an ID?

Have you tried to order a copy of your birth certificate?

I was in college till recently. So I used my college photo ID and opted for cheaper purposes. I had two copies. I used that to get jobs and whatnot.

I got out of college around last year and lost my ID in a storm. I let my mom carry my birth certificate, but she lost it.

I was forbidden to drive because my mom told me that my ADD made me too clumsy and that I would wreck her cars(when I never was taught) So I took some private lessons from friends.

She also told me, constantly, that I was too clumsy and hard-headed to hold down a job. Three times she wanted me to apply for disability and I refused, wanting to work my way up instead.

I was abused as a kid...

by both my mom and sister.

Now my sister's dead and mom's yelling at me, saying I'm a drug addict

I also tried to order my birth certificate, but without ID you can't do that.

My BC is in NYC

Edited by Natsu21

I feel for you, man. :(

If you were Canadian I could offer to do something, but feeling a bit stuck on what to give other than my best wishes and some advice:

Reach out for support from those willing and able to give it to you.

If you have been diagnosed with ADD there are very basic and inexpensive medications can do you wonders.

You strike me as a kind soul who's grown up surrounded by some very difficult circumstances.

Take the one advantage you do have right now - a tablet and an Internet connection - and see what options you have in the area for shelters. Your main priority will be getting your most basic needs met - food, shelter, security - that can give you a stable enough footing from which to re-establish the basic admin - ID's, certificates and the likes.

You can rebuild. I've met many people who have come from similar situations who have built stable, loving homes from scratch.

Best wishes

I've been there man, your first step of you can't find anywhere to stay is a shelter. From there start brain storming. You'll make it out of this, just use your head, stay focused, stay away from drugs. It won't happen over night, I was thrown out on my ass at 20 , took til 23 to get a place with a room of my own and 28 til I got comfortable.

Yeah I had pretty fu*ked up up bringing too.

Hang in there, you'll know what to do.

• Like 3
  • Author
I've been there man, your first step of you can't find anywhere to stay is a shelter. From there start brain storming. You'll make it out of this, just use your head, stay focused, stay away from drugs. It won't happen over night, I was thrown out on my ass at 20 , took til 23 to get a place with a room of my own and 28 til I got comfortable.

Yeah I had pretty fu*ked up up bringing too.

Hang in there, you'll know what to do.

I'll figure it out. But I better get moving in the morning. This has been stressful...

Did you have your ID?

There is not a single shelter in my town. Nearest one is 50 miles away.

How about the nearest military recruiter?

I'll figure it out. But I better get moving in the morning. This has been stressful...

Did you have your ID?

I did, but there's gotta be something you can do. Call 211 (that's in Texas, I don't know what it is in Alabama) go down to the police station and explain your situation, they should at least tell you what need to do to get what you need.

Dude, one of your first priorities should be getting your ID situation sorted out.

That is really holding you back right now.

• Like 1
  • Author
Dude, one of your first priorities should be getting your ID situation sorted out.

That is really holding you back right now.

My ID situation is holding me back because of my BC situation.

Without my Birth Certificate, I can't get my ID, without my ID, I can't get my birth certificate.

It's a horrible loop. The original plan was to get to New York City personally and have my mother pick it up from the hospital, since her name is, in fact, on the BC.

But my sister's death has hindered the trip.

Future reference, folks. NEVER...LOSE... your birth certificate AND your ID at the same time...because it's absolute hell to get back.

Edited by Natsu21
My ID situation is holding me back because of my BC situation.

Without my Birth Certificate, I can't get my ID, without my ID, I can't get my birth certificate.

It's a horrible loop. The original plan was to get to New York City personally and have my mother pick it up from the hospital, since her name is, in fact, on the BC.

Future reference, folks. NEVER...LOSE... your birth certificate AND your ID at the same time...because it's absolute hell to get back.

There has to be a way to break out of that loop.

Have you tried to go to the nearest DMV and speak to somebody?

Also, is there any chance of getting another ID from your old college?

• Author
There has to be a way to break out of that loop.

Have you tried to go to the nearest DMV and speak to somebody?

Also, is there any chance of getting another ID from your old college?

^Tried that, I'd have to enroll.

I did...said that they couldn't do anything without either a caseworker or someone representing me who could get my ID's back.

It's a really tough sitch but I know there's a way. Has to be. While I still got battery life I'm researching things to do.

• Like 2

I'm sorry for everything you're going through.

Can you get a new BC? I've known some people who were in a similar situation and they managed to work it out. If you have a SSC that's definitely something. Call them, ask them what they can do, if they say nothing, ask for a manager. There's zero way you can't get your major paperwork. Some people lose everything in a fire or something, how do they get their identification back?

The world may be annoyingly bureaucratic sometimes but you can make it work for you. I mean, you were born in the us and have a ssn, there's no way you can't get that stuff.

• Like 1
  • Author
I'm sorry for everything you're going through.

Can you get a new BC? I've known some people who were in a similar situation and they managed to work it out. If you have a SSC that's definitely something. Call them, ask them what they can do, if they say nothing, ask for a manager. There's zero way you can't get your major paperwork. Some people lose everything in a fire or something, how do they get their identification back?

The world may be annoyingly bureaucratic sometimes but you can make it work for you. I mean, you were born in the us and have a ssn, there's no way you can't get that stuff.

Amen. :D There are ways, that's why I haven't lost hope.

But I would hope someone sees this page who has been in this situation and give me some good advice.

I guess I'm just looking for something relatable. I wanna get out of my toxic home environment.