Hi folks.

I officially wear glasses as of today. Never worn them before.

A bit dizzying getting used to this. Anyone have any tips or tricks? Maybe a lil Dramamine? Also odd getting used to having something brushing my eyelashes, and even just seeing myself in the mirror is a bit odd!

I figure we can make this thread fun and talk about different glasses styles as well, if everyone would like :)

I have some simple black frames but would like to try out some other styles in the future!

I've had them since I can remember, so no tips/tricks for accommodation. However, always make sure to put them in a hardshell case when you go to sleep at night.

• Like 4

Can you get crystals in your eyes? My aunt just got them and sees perfectly now but she's bummed because she really liked wearing glasses but she didn't think that through.

She misses her glasses.

• Like 1
  • Author
I've had them since I can remember, so no tips/tricks for accommodation. However, always make sure to put them in a hardshell case when you go to sleep at night.

Already got the case right next to my bed, I know my cat would likely knock the, otherwise.

Can you get crystals in your eyes? My aunt just got them and sees perfectly now but she's bummed because she really liked wearing glasses but she didn't think that through.

She misses her glasses.

Crystals? I've never heard of crystals in eyes. Is it a new thing?

• Author
On second thought, maybe get yourself a Carmen Sandiago outfit? Pull off the sexy spy look?

I do have a trench coat that will be getting plenty of use soon!

My boyfriend said I look like a sexy librarian :lmao:

• Like 1

I have a low power, so I occasionally use glasses for work and stuff, but I don't need to wear them in daily life.

It's totally normal to take a few days to get used to it. I usually just suck it up and keep them on, by 1-2 days time it feels normal. But don't drive or anything while wearing them during the initial period.

It's odd that your eyelashes are constantly brushing against them though! Are you wearing them very high on your nose? Or you mean fake lashes?

(Edit: Great, now that you mention it I'm feeling the occasional brush... dammit! :laugh:)

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 2
  • Author
I have a low power, so I occasionally use glasses for work and stuff, but I don't need to wear them in daily life.

It's totally normal to take a few days to get used to it. I usually just suck it up and keep them on, by 1-2 days time it feels normal. But don't drive or anything while wearing them during the initial period.

It's odd that your eyelashes are constantly brushing against them though! Are you wearing them very high on your nose? Or you mean fake lashes?

I've gotten more used to them over the course of the day, but my depth perception is still off. I am stumbling with curbs and steps, and did bump into a wall. Left them off while driving since I was scared, haha!

My eyelashes are naturally crazy long. It's the first thing the nurse said when I was born. May need to try an eyelash curler -____- groan.

• Like 1

Crystals? I've never heard of crystals in eyes. Is it a new thing?

I don't know if it's new or not but she was going on about how her and my uncle both went and had the doctor put these crystals in their eyes and neither one of them need glasses anymore.

Yay glasses!!!! I love wearing glasses. Helps me see, and gives the illusion of intelligence ;). As for the eyelashes, as you wear them more often the frames get a bit looser and slide forward on your nose out of reach of the eyelashes. And you just get used to it.

leavesonautumn

I had to get glasses about 8 years ago, wore them for a year and never again after that! Made my migraines worse and really, I'd only have to wear them if I drove, which I don't :D. I also wouldn't wear contacts because I can totally see myself falling asleep with them in. I've slept with teeth whitening strips on before and those are super obvious when you have them on so nothing is impossible hehehe.

I'm okay with not being able to see too well :bunny:

CrystalCastles

Congrats! :D Glasses are great! I've been wearing glasses since I was 7. I have a pair of thick-framed ones that I love so much, they made me stop wearing contacts.

Depth perception is just something to get used to. I've had the same problem whenever I've changed my prescription. Or when I got contacts. Things seemed weirdly closer or further away than they actually were. I would stumble too, and trip on curbs or stairs. It doesn't take too long to get used to it though!

I used to wear glasses and contacts. But no more because I got lasik :D I had to get used to waking up and not reaching out for my glasses lol.

If you have super long eyelashes, make sure you clean your glasses often with lukewarm water since they'll get dirty quicker :)

And of course, try out different shapes of glasses - round ones (like Harry Potter :laugh:), oval ones, rectangular ones, thick-rimmed ones...Have fun!

I wear glasses full time. I used to hate them but ever since I started getting stylish glasses I feel really good about myself when I'm wearing them! It's great to be able to look stylish AND smart :laugh:

It will take getting used to. Whenever I get new glasses that are slightly stronger it feels strange for a bit, but your depth perception will get better.

I wear contacts when I'm going out or playing sports, and I've heard so many horror stories about people forgetting to take their contacts out - so I've always been fussy with taking them out. That being said, I have daily wear, so it would be difficult to forget those....

Are you far or nearsighted?

I'm nearsighted (well I was anyway ) I don't wear my glasses all the time just to drive , and do specific,long range tasks at work . I can still remember when I first got them how amazing it was to be able to drive at night and clearly read road signs without squinting.

I realized recently (maybe a year) I've been having trouble with small print now. I got a pair of reading glasses from the store. I find then very helpful at work and reading at home however, if I leave them on I start feeling queasy . My sister said that was normal and you get used to it. I obviously need bifocals now. ( yay?! )

Ninjainpajamas

People will think you are smarter just for wearing glasses, it's really common. Of course people might perceive you as a little nerdy too possibly depending on the situation just because you wear glasses.

I used to wear glasses when I was a teenager and in my early 20's before I got lasik eye surgery that corrected my vision (highly recommend btw, piece of cake operation and recovery)

I used to get a lot of compliments with wearing glasses however, in fact when I first stopped wearing them people preferred me with them on :p they didn't like it at first, and for me it was a bit awkward.

It took me a while to get used to seeing my face without glasses, even though I only wore them maybe 5 years or so out of my 34 years, but yeah it's normal to feel really awkward in the beginning...taking them off and on, anticipating others reactions and all that. You'll also get some headaches while your eyes adjust but it goes away, things will be smaller and at a different distance than you are used to...I remember that part. But overall you should feel better, I used to get headaches from squinting and trying to read things on the board in school...I'd get some huge headaches over it without glasses and in the beginning you might experience the same strain until your eyes adjust.

I still actually like glasses and at times miss them, but I enjoy it much more living without them for practical purposes...like not having to take them off while playing basketball or at the beach or lakes, rollercoaster or anything else involved wind, having to worry about scratching them or waking up and having to put them on...I did eventually switch to contacts for those reasons later on.

People will ask you if you even wear them asleep...I would always reply "Of course I do, so I can see clearly in my dreams"...then they realized how stupid of a question it was and laughed.

I used to also get called out in public "Superman" often, because at the time they had a superman show with Dean Cain who I looked a lot like at the time with my glasses...I used to have kids pointing at my in grocery stores saying "Look mom, it's Superman!" because of the damn tv show...or people would ask, "Do you know who you look like/remind me of!"...."yESSS!! THE GODAWN SUPARMAN I KNOW IT!!!ARGHGHGHAHG!"

SUPERMAN PIC

I wear glasses only to drive & when I'm at the movie theater. And once in awhile while watching TV I'll wear them. I still want to get contacts eventually, but I keep holding off on them. And possibly later on I'll get lasik surgery, but it's kinda risky since problems could arise. Have a cousin who got it years ago, & has had problems with his 1 eye. Not sure if it's completely related or not to the surgery though.

I've worn glasses since my early 20's and think I needed them even sooner...lol.

I guess I'm far-sighted? I can't see things clearly at a distance.

I tried lasik years ago cuz in the military I hated jumping from planes and trying to shoot and glasses getting foggy or falling from my eyes...Also, I would fall asleep with glasses and crush them all the time.

Well, lasik is so full of crap. I got it back in the early 2000's and went to a well-known clinic and paid for it (not no $500 in the newspaper nonsense). While they say you'll need glasses to read, years later I needed glasses for the distance!!! That's why I believe that God made you one way and surgery to "fix" something usually reverts into your body going back to what it was!!!

I used to wear color contacts, but just reserve my contacts for going out on dates or on the town...Now I keep a pair of glasses to wear at work, one for sun, and another to wear to bed and so far have crushed it several times. I don't wear my glasses much because I can see pretty well without them, but see better with them on.

I like how glasses look on me or on guys I'm seeing (I guess I like the whole "Superman" thing too - the sexy guy behind the glasses. A combination of strong and smart ;) ...I have no shame in wearing them, I just don't cuz it's a hassle and I get tired of losing or crushing them.:D

Seems like now a days, people are shelling out a lot of money on stylish glasses. There are even some people who are all into the "fake nerd" look...I want to kick them in the face.

Are you sure you got the right prescription? I mean, you shouldn't be having difficulty when wearing them.

Ohh the stories!! Here are a few: Went jogging and my glasses got steamed up, I looked at my running mate and said, we better run for cover, I think a storm is brewing (I seriously thought that!)...He said here, let me fix the weather conditions, and he cleaned my glasses.

Another time I freaked myself out because as you get used to your glasses- any Side glance motion can spook ya! I thought for sure someone had come along side me and here it was my drapes fluttering!

Night time driving did create a challenge- The highbeams and low beams leave a Light trail.....Now I simply go...Cool its like being on (insert infamous Timothy leary drug of choice) without the coming down :)

I'm sure you look charming and studious. Enjoy all the new sights :)

Ninjainpajamas
I've worn glasses since my early 20's and think I needed them even sooner...lol.

I guess I'm far-sighted? I can't see things clearly at a distance.

I tried lasik years ago cuz in the military I hated jumping from planes and trying to shoot and glasses getting foggy or falling from my eyes...Also, I would fall asleep with glasses and crush them all the time.

Well, lasik is so full of crap. I got it back in the early 2000's and went to a well-known clinic and paid for it (not no $500 in the newspaper nonsense). While they say you'll need glasses to read, years later I needed glasses for the distance!!! That's why I believe that God made you one way and surgery to "fix" something usually reverts into your body going back to what it was!!!

You don't know even know if you are near-sighted or far-sighted at your age? how in the world.

If you can't see things from a distance then you are near-sighted, meaning only up close are things clear.

I used to have 20/400 vision...which means that someone standing 20 ft away from a wall can see it perfectly if they have good and normal/young vision. In order for them to see like I did, they would have to run backwards 380 feet more, and then they'll know how I see looking at the same wall they were only 20 ft from before...it's nearly blind.

Secondly, I had a astigmatism in both eyes...therefore not only would you have to stand 400 ft from that wall, you'd also have to cut the bottom of two glass coke bottles out and put them over your eyes, so that you can see blurry and everything in doubles.

Basically, I couldn't see worth a damn...and I played sports like that, at night in the dark with just stadium lights on which only blurs the vision even more it seemed.

Now I have 20/15 in one eye (which is better than 20/20), and the other eye is about 20/30 to 40...it's not as good but I can't tell the difference. On top of that, my vision does not double anymore...which means no more squinting or pulling my eyes like a Chinese person in order to focus my eyes (yes it actually worked and used it often).

So I don't know where you got your lasik vision, but mine has been working for over 10 years without a problem.

Most people are scared from the stories...as was I, I drilled the hell out of doctors and did my research, my GF at the time who worked in the medical field was also doing her research to help me out...we both asked every question under the sun...but they did say that after 40 the vision will naturally regress, as it's normal with everyone.

Anyway, I'm not saying you're lying or that I haven't heard the stories...but I paid $1500 dollars for the surgery at the time for both eyes, the operation took me 5 mins if even that, it was painless and I could see better in seconds...it almost brought a damn tear to my eye, I was grinning like a psychotic clown for days...at the point where I was, hell...that money was worth just seeing normally for a year, I also have a contract that states if the vision goes poorly again they will correct it again for nearly free.

At any rate, just giving my story to this for anyone thinking about it...I'm not saying it works for everyone, but the people I've known have had good results with it. I don't personally know anyone who's gotten bad results or had issues, but it's a medical procedure, it's the risk you take...you've got to decide if it's worth it for you.

I'm not attacking you Gloria, but I really wonder what your experience was like.

I had my eyes tested when i was 25 and was told i needed glasses, so straight away i started wearing contacts, i also tried glasses a while after but i really dislike them.

For a start your field of vision is awful, i always seem to be looking under or over the frame, you cant wear shades with them, you always sit on them or lose them, and most of the time when you lose them they are on you head ha.

Most of all the vision for me is so much sharper and better with contacts, so i say get some contacts and use the glasses as a back up!