High heels... Silly question... Need !

Part of my recent self improvement is that I have decided to go out to more fun things and take care of myself more...

...all good so far but I found some boots with heels that I love and I want to wear them...

I can't walk in them... I am practicing but apparently I look like a pigeon... I work with a bunch of guys, I am not going to be able to see my girlfriends in time to ask for help. The concert I want to wear them to is tomorrow night. The only advice so far is take them off and stick your work boots back on... I live in my work boots. I really just want to be a girl just for one night.

Help!

I know its really silly and completely insignificant in the grand scheme of things and if all else fails I will just wear my work boots again but any advice would be really gratefully received!

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

2) What sort of heels are yours? How high are they? Are they stilletos, or a block heel, or wedges? Wedges are the easiest to walk in, most people can walk okay in them without much practice. Stilettos are crazy hard and I don't have the patience to practice enough to be nimble in them, so I don't wear them (outside the bedroom, that is :laugh:).

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 2
  • Author

I would describe them as block heals (I am crazy - but not so crazy to go stiletto)... Sorry I don't know the technical terms for these things but they are quite wide heals. They have the gap in the middle if that makes sense. they are not the sort that is one big chunk at the bottom of the shoe... I really must get better at this...

I can stand in them happily for ages and they are comfortable (and I will have somewhere to sit too if need be, also taking flats with me just in case) its just when I walk, that is it - game over. I look something akin to a drunk chicken on stilts... Even I know that is not a great look. :D I really do love these boots...

I did a google search and there is so much conflicting information do I put weight on toes or heals, bum in out (shake it all about) etc that I am now completely bamboozled... and it doesn't seem to be helping... The only thing they have all said is to stride out... Well at the moment my strides are about half of that they normally are... I feel like I am tippey toeing about...

I think I would have been easier setting myself the challenge of running 10k (from nothing) than this... thats on the list but this seemed to be a "quick" one to do while I get there...

leavesonautumn

I'm going to agree with central and recommend wearing something more comfortable. You'll be conscious of your boots the whole time! Practise wearing them and show your friends but don't torture yourself for a night :p.

I much prefer wedges over heels, more stability and comfort. After wearing them for a few years, they've become as natural as wearing sneakers. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to heels hehe.

I would describe them as block heals (I am crazy - but not so crazy to go stiletto)... Sorry I don't know the technical terms for these things but they are quite wide heals. They have the gap in the middle if that makes sense. they are not the sort that is one big chunk at the bottom of the shoe... I really must get better at this...

I can stand in them happily for ages and they are comfortable (and I will have somewhere to sit too if need be, also taking flats with me just in case) its just when I walk, that is it - game over. I look something akin to a drunk chicken on stilts... Even I know that is not a great look. :D I really do love these boots...

I did a google search and there is so much conflicting information do I put weight on toes or heals, bum in out (shake it all about) etc that I am now completely bamboozled... and it doesn't seem to be helping... The only thing they have all said is to stride out... Well at the moment my strides are about half of that they normally are... I feel like I am tippey toeing about...

I think I would have been easier setting myself the challenge of running 10k (from nothing) than this... thats on the list but this seemed to be a "quick" one to do while I get there...

Hmm, block heels never caused me to be unable to walk normally (although walking long distances in them is just torture on your feet and really not recommended!). But if you are still having trouble after a bit of practice, then I agree with the others - go with cute flats or cute boots without a heel. There are lots out there, the choice isn't solely between 'work boots' and 'heeled boots'. :)

• Author
Hmm, block heels never caused me to be unable to walk normally (although walking long distances in them is just torture on your feet and really not recommended!). But if you are still having trouble after a bit of practice, then I agree with the others - go with cute flats or cute boots without a heel. There are lots out there, the choice isn't solely between 'work boots' and 'heeled boots'. :)

LOL that means shopping... a. no time and b. I will avoid at all costs!!! I would rather wear my work boots than go shopping!

Yes I am a work in progress but baby steps...

When I say I am not girly I have about 4 pairs of shoes, 1 pair slippers, 1 pair riding boots, 1 pair work/ walking boots and my new girly boots. I also have my old dancing shoes which are gorgeous but they are very sparkley and a bit much! So I lied - thats 5 pairs!

I was ironing in them this morning with no problems so I think I will have another practice when I pick up my girl friend (bless her she is honest) and see what she thinks... and take my other boots which are like old slippers they are so comfy!

I'm going to tell you what my mom taught me when I was learning to walk in heels.

You don't need to just walk in them. You need to be able to function in them. That means, uneven surfaces, hills, gravel, getting in & out of cars, stairs, carrying things, bending down etc. It takes practice.

How high are they? That may be your problem. Start lower. Are you sure they fit correctly? Even 1/2 size too big or small will affect how you walk.

• Like 1

Practice in your house on carpet at least 2 weeks before going out in these. Daily at least 1 hour walking around. Your feet are wide because they are used to being flat, you need time to "reshape" your foot if you will to be used to heels.

Next, practice walking toe-heel. Step down on your toe and roll back to your heel, opposite of how you normally walk. I learned this in modeling school, it is how runway model walk (same with Native Americans, that's why they can sneak up on you, but that's besides the point). It eliminates bounce, give you a full sexy swagger to your hips, and makes you less likely slip and fall.

• Like 1
  • Author

Guys I managed!

I wasn't the most elegant but I was ok and didn't look like a duck/ chicken or anything else!

They were flung over my shoulder after a few hours... the music was great and the brandy was a contributory factor...!

Now just got to keep practicing so next time I will be in better shape!

Will try the toe heal thing!

Thanks guys!

• Like 2
There are plenty of cute boots that don't have fancy heels and are super easy to walk in. Why not start with a pair of those?

I bought these because they have lower heels but still look feminine.

• Author

Oh fitchick! They are about the same sort of heal on mine!!!

Now I feel a right berk lol!!!

Will keep practicing though. I have another air that I need to get altered that are more supportive round the ankle and a bit lower. I don't like them as much but they are nice and worth keeping hold of.

Going to have to come up with a new challenge...

Summerrose2013

Well done on your succesful night out!

I too recently decided I wanted to be more 'feminine' and start wearing heels - I love the way they look on a confident woman - and I think they make your legs look slimmer too.

I've started with a more wedgy heel but last week bit the bullet and got myself a pair of medium height stillettos!

BUT - they are a bit too big for me (size down was too small) - so I got some heel grips but they fell out during my first night out! Others have recommended insoles or gel inserts? It's a work in progress anyway but they made me feel great, which I really needed :).

Good advise from others on here regarding walking practices etc!

Health and comfort are key. You don't need a High heel pair of shoes to make you more lady like. You'd be amazed how posture and demeanor play a larger role. Glad you are enjoying these goals, Best to you!