Learning A New Language

I've recently returned from Morocco and severely suffering from post-holiday blues. So in order to attempt to combat this I'm planning on teaching myself French - the language I heard constantly in the week I was there!

Now, I already speak conversational Spanish from my school days, but that was a few years ago now... and I'd like to avoid taking classes again as it wont be as fun.

Anyone have any tips on how to learn a language without going to classes?

Or does anyone speak/write French that could help?

I used to take those tape recorder courses back in the days, and found that useful. They must have been replaced by audio and video. I also subscribed to a French Language learning podcast for a while. If you live somewhere a bit urban, maybe you can also find some newly arrived Morrocans who'd be willing to do a French/English language exchange?

CrystalCastles
I've recently returned from Morocco and severely suffering from post-holiday blues. So in order to attempt to combat this I'm planning on teaching myself French - the language I heard constantly in the week I was there!

Wow how was it?

Now, I already speak conversational Spanish from my school days, but that was a few years ago now... and I'd like to avoid taking classes again as it wont be as fun.

Anyone have any tips on how to learn a language without going to classes?

Or does anyone speak/write French that could help?

I am learning to speak, read and write Arabic. I am taking a class right now at my university but before that I was learning on my own. I found the Pimsleur tapes to be very good. The subsequent tape always goes over the material from the previous tape so I found it easy to remember things. French is also not as tough since the letters are the same as in English.

You might also want to download some textbooks or check out what's in your library. I also know basic French, and I read children's books to keep things fresh. There aren't too many words in those books that I don't know so it doesn't take as long to get through them as with novels.

• Author
Wow how was it?

I fell in love with the place and the people! Didn't see all that much that wasn't touristy because it was mostly a relaxing holiday so we stayed in Marrakech, but I'd go back in a heartbeat! The stories I heard from others made me want to go a bit deeper next time.

I've seen some literature similar to those I used when studying Spanish so I could look down that route and just study it when I have some free time. Its mostly listening/speaking that I'd like to learn.

Watch some French films and switch off the subtitles. Or leave them on so you get a sense of what they are saying. French and Spanish are both romance languages so there are a lot of similarities, unlike German, for example.

Always Pondering

There's a website called Duolingo (also an app version) which I've been using lately to learn a new language. So far I just started so I'm not sure how well it does its job but I like it. You could check it out and see for yourself.

Many of my friends took overseas / study abroad trips and I'd have to say living in the country itself is an extremely great way of learning a language if not the best. Of course, that's not exactly free.

• Author

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I've started using Duolingo and I'm looking at buying an audiotape/book series but its not cheap!

• Like 1
Thanks for all your suggestions!

I've started using Duolingo and I'm looking at buying an audiotape/book series but its not cheap!

Rosetta Stone and the like are quite expensive--though I've heard good things about the former.

I've found immersion courses to be the most effective. So, while I know you want to do this on the cheap, consider also saving up for a course/holiday in France next year. :)

Okay, maybe the year after.

It's a fun way to learn, meet people, and holiday.

For online resources, a friend is learning through Mango Languages.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I've started using Duolingo and I'm looking at buying an audiotape/book series but its not cheap!

I heard... from a friend... that there are.. other ways to get software.

• Like 1

I'm currently using babbel (online language course)

One of things I like about it is having the option to repeat words into the mic & it kinda rates your pronunciation.

My boyfriends mum (I live in France with my French bf) suggested a site called ToLearnFrench.

It's free. I haven't tried it yet but, as far as I know, it's by a French teacher & they have a forum.

I also attended an 10 week beginners course at my local "université populair" I'm finding French so difficult that the only thing I managed to properly learn, on that course, are directions & how to tell the time.

I also watch French films with English subtitles & vice versa.

Bonne Chance!!

You can watch children shows and movies in French. French is spoken more slowly and clearly. No need to start off with complicated dramas.

But before you train your ears, I think you should still have basis in French grammar and vocabulary. Classes, books or tutors are required here.

And be sure to acquire the language without the aristocratic attitudes attached to it. French, like English, is spoken by millions of people outside of France in 2 dozen countries. Parisian French is not all that French is about You already got a taste of it in Marocco.

Bonne chance!

• Author
You can watch children shows and movies in French. French is spoken more slowly and clearly. No need to start off with complicated dramas.

I do like that idea as I struggle with pronunciation and listening to the words spoken on the website I use (doesn't sound very coherent coming from a robotic voice!)

Is there a library in your area? I get tapes from them and just check them back out again when they are due.

Pronunciation without definition can put you in a quandry. Until you get well versed in the language foreign films in that language will mean very little.

Our School systems have Adult evening class for foreign language, so long as you are in the district you are welcome to sign up and attend. Its a six week course and paid for thru the area tax...So just fly over here, and pretend your me :)