What's makes a man?

Taking responsibility, to act instead of talk, ability to love instead of just need. Considering one's actions before acting them out. I guess this goes for women too.

• Like 2

From what I can tell: a rusty truck, a bloodhound, a large belt buckle, worn out blue-jeans, and a job that involves wearing boots.

• Like 1
  • Author

So I should ride my rusty pickup truck onto a beach, launch a loogie into the nearest empty, take back the volleyball and other sports equipment I lent to my girlfriend then get shot in the head?

That's pretty extreme. She really likes that volleyball.

thefooloftheyear

Total indepenence....A desire to provide for and protect others ..Confidence....Unwavering strength in times of adversity..

TFY

• Like 1

a man has to be comfortable in his own skin...height....penis size....and no that isnt the sum of who he is.......to stand up for what he believes in without putting others down to do it......a man knows a woman when he sees one.....and he treats all women that he sees with respect regardless of how they look, how they dress or how others perceive them to be,a man knows a girl when he sees one and treats her as a girl should be treated with love and compassion that is pure, a man knows a boy when he sees one and teaches him by his words and actions to respect women...to stand up for what he believes in...so he is a role model fro all boys that are in his life..........

men dont have it easy......the true mark of a man is one who steps up to the plate regardless of how hard it gets....and yes ...as carhill showed that picture...i do believe when a boy leaves home and goes to war or out into the world and learns to stand on his own two feet and be supportive of all around him........the boy is left behind......and a man takes his place in the world...a force to be reckoned with.........deb

• Like 1

When he's physically able to impregnate a woman. So probably around age 12. The rest is just nonsense society uses to shame men. In fact, being a man sucks. Then won't regard you as a man until they've stripped away all your emotions and the entire world is cold and tasteless.

Also note the relative absence of concepts like "becoming a woman", or "when does a girl become a woman". Women don't have to prove anything; they just hit puberty and they're regarded as women. Men on the other hand will be spat on for any number of reasons. That's why our suicide rates are 4x higher than women.

Edited by NGC1300
And knowing how to spit properly, especially chew into a beer can.

I petition that we add:

How to properly throw a spiral

Shuffle/deal/play cards

Play billiards

Fishing

Navigation by sextant

Lumberjackery

Rebuilding a transmission (on a Harley)

Smoking or grilling various cuts of meat

Smoke a cigar

Know the difference between bourbon and whiskey

Having a favorite old oak chair

Safecracking

Opening a beer bottle with a lighter

Striking a match on any flat, solid surface

• Like 2

Transitioning from merely taking life to honoring it (hunting/fishing tradition) was part of the right of passage from boy to man when I was a kid. I don't know if it is anymore. I first learned of this when fishing catch and release with my mom, who was the family outdoors person and animal husband, having grown up on a farm.

Also, somewhat akin to 'walkabout' in Aboriginal culture, part of a young man's right of passage to manhood when I was young was learning to survive in the wilderness and then trekking out on his own. I learned this primarily in the Boy Scouts. That ties in with 'navigating by sextant' though I used a compass and map with a basic understanding of astronomy as guidance.

• Like 1

I always thought loyalty and strength. The kind of iron clad will that can endure just about anything and pop out the winner or at least stronger on the other side.

• Like 2

really a man is man when he actually feels like one..rites of passage and preferences on men.......being a good man......i guess thats what i would want a man to be....deb

Edited by todreaminblue
  • Like 1
Total indepenence....A desire to provide for and protect others ..Confidence....Unwavering strength in times of adversity..

TFY

This must be a woman's perspective, no offense.

I hate when people say sexist stuff like, "men don't cry or men work while the woman is at home" ... I believe the only thing that differentiates a man from a boy is a man takes responsibility for his actions and doesn't run away from challenges or obstacles. Men like challenges and are open minded to learning new things every day & aren't stubborn and stuck in their pride like boys are. Men know right from wrong and have sympathy for the human species. Those are really the only differences (in my opinion).

Taking responsibility over their own lives. This applies to women too.

Someone here said girls are automatically considered women at a certain age. I would disagree. Children love to play around - they don't expect to be held accountable for all of their actions. Adults take responsibility - for good or bad, and act accordingly.

My friend who was looking after her sick mother and young siblings while she was still a teenager was already a woman in my eyes. My former colleague who asked the office in a dead serious manner, "****, you don't get pregnant after having sex once right?" and is now married to this old rich oil baron is a girl is my eyes.

Responsibility is what separates adults from children.

"You learn to take a good licking, and not cry about it. You learn to hand one out, and not go bragging about it." This was one of life's lessons early on for me.

#1 Getting your butt whipped and taking it like a man.

#2 Dishing out a butt whipping and not bragging about it like a punk.

• Author

Thanks for the replies.

From what I've read and experienced so far in life it seems to boil down to taking responsibility both for one's self and for one's tribe (be that community, town, nation, humanity).

Not really any different for women.

All the same, I'm still going to learn how to navigate by sextant and learn how to properly shuffle a deck. Maybe some magic tricks, too. :D

• Like 2

Well, this all opinionated, of course. So IMO, I think what makes a man a man and not a boy is, obviously maturity. Emotionally as well as physically.

Mostly I think the main difference is that a man takes care of himself and is totally independent from family or friends for financial assistance and he is also able to make his mind up for himself.

Boys are the opposite of all that. Especially mama's boys.