My September Fast Food Fast

If you want to join me on this crusade, by all means come on board.

Well, all my life (I'm 31) I've loved fast food. I eat it a lot. My dad fed me it every week when I was a young kid and I got used to the taste. I was weaned on happy meals and later big macs. These days I do exercise, but my poor diet pretty much cancels out my work outs. I am overweight, and could stand to lose 20 pounds (but I'll start small with 5 to begin).

Why the change in lifestyle now?

Couple reasons

1. September 1st now. New month new leaf, I figure.

2. Early October is my brother's wedding, of which I am the best man. I'd like to go into that event feeling at least somewhat good about my body. Right now, my body makes me a bit self-conscious. I mean, I'm not obese or anything, but it's clear I've put on some weight and my face could be slimmer and nicer looking

3. I want to be able to say I did it for a month. Also, I want to make the most of my workouts by not cancelling it out with my fast food intake.

The main problem is, I get lazy and at the end of a long work day, it's really easy (and appealing) to swing by the local drive-thru. It's way too convenient. Hell, I'll admit the shame of sometimes leaving the home in my semi-PJs just to make a quick fast food run via the drive-thru. After all, no one's going to really see me or what I wear.

I've got to retrain my taste buds to not crave fast food so much. I just like getting that hot greasy bag, popping a few fries in on the drive home and then stuffing myself with my favorite fast food burger.

It is unhealthy especially the rate at which I do it weekly. So, this is a topic to hopefully keep myself accountable. In real life, also going to pass this along to my best friend. That way he can check up on me and I'll challenge him to take the challenge as well.

I guess I'll post everyday in this thread with either "I fell" or "Another day closer to the goal!"

Hopefully I can post 30 straight posts of the latter.

Edited by Teknoe
  • Like 2

This is why people fail cause they try to totally cut something out of their diet when really its more about moderation the more you deprive yourself of something the more your going to crave it and so on making your chance of "falling" even better most fast food places have some healthy options maybe try some of those? or treat yourself once in a great while long as its in moderation I think you will find you will succeed better that way..anyways best of luck..

• Author
This is why people fail cause they try to totally cut something out of their diet when really its more about moderation the more you deprive yourself of something the more your going to crave it and so on making your chance of "falling" even better most fast food places have some healthy options maybe try some of those? or treat yourself once in a great while long as its in moderation I think you will find you will succeed better that way..anyways best of luck..

I don't intend to cut it out completely forever. But I think to refrain from eating it for a month (cold turkey for a month) is a goal I want to reach. I also think it's manageable.

Once the month is over I can re-evaluate my stance and feelings on fast food and how often I will partake.

• Like 2
sdrawkcaB ssA
If you want to join me on this crusade, by all means come on board.

Well, all my life (I'm 31) I've loved fast food. I eat it a lot. My dad fed me it every week when I was a young kid and I got used to the taste. I was weaned on happy meals and later big macs. These days I do exercise, but my poor diet pretty much cancels out my work outs. I am overweight, and could stand to lose 20 pounds (but I'll start small with 5 to begin).

Why the change in lifestyle now?

Couple reasons

1. September 1st now. New month new leaf, I figure.

2. Early October is my brother's wedding, of which I am the best man. I'd like to go into that event feeling at least somewhat good about my body. Right now, my body makes me a bit self-conscious. I mean, I'm not obese or anything, but it's clear I've put on some weight and my face could be slimmer and nicer looking

3. I want to be able to say I did it for a month. Also, I want to make the most of my workouts by not cancelling it out with my fast food intake.

The main problem is, I get lazy and at the end of a long work day, it's really easy (and appealing) to swing by the local drive-thru. It's way too convenient. Hell, I'll admit the shame of sometimes leaving the home in my semi-PJs just to make a quick fast food run via the drive-thru. After all, no one's going to really see me or what I wear.

I've got to retrain my taste buds to not crave fast food so much. I just like getting that hot greasy bag, popping a few fries in on the drive home and then stuffing myself with my favorite fast food burger.

It is unhealthy especially the rate at which I do it weekly. So, this is a topic to hopefully keep myself accountable. In real life, also going to pass this along to my best friend. That way he can check up on me and I'll challenge him to take the challenge as well.

I guess I'll post everyday in this thread with either "I fell" or "Another day closer to the goal!"

Hopefully I can post 30 straight posts of the latter.

It takes plenty of effort to refrain from what you have grown accustom. Food, sex, online gambling, and drinking are all the same when battling addiction. You must know there is more to it than just taste and smell of fast food. It is a comfort thing more than nourishment. Something you are missing is allowing for this addiction to take over.

You can thwart the pangs by using high potency pepper powder in pill form if your use to spicy foods. Stay away from TV, too many fast food ads, and finding some activity will keep your mind away.

As for taste buds raising hell... there is not one fast food item that can be made at home with less calories. I toast fries in a toaster oven. They are less greasy but are crispier than what you get normally. As for catchup, try using pepper or other tasty spices.

Remember grease is your enemy... chicken, fish and veggies are your friend. There is some health food sausage made for vegetarians some are as good as the real thing. Haven't looked for sometime being far and away from Trader Joe's.

Looking up online helps for nice ways to lean up on homemade foods that are quick and easy to prepare.

Good luck! I always applaud anyone's plans of bettering themselves, and sometimes, little challenges like this one make you feel so much better about yourself.

I am also lazy when it comes to cooking. Try planning your meals for the week. Also, you can take your last week end day to fix parts of your meals ahead of time. I find it much easier to eat my vegetable when they are already washed and cut. If you google it, you will find neat ways of making sure they stay good and crispy for the week (for example, leave celery in water...)

I cook quinoa for a few days and alternate whatever I mix with it (beans, nuts, chicken etc)

I buy a BBQ chicken and freeze it in small portions - when I'm ready to use it, I simply take it out of the freezer (you can also buy a chicken and cook it yourself over the week end...)

I also have a few frozen diners handy. Not the best, I agree but still better than McDonalds...

:)

• Like 1

Try eating regularly before you even get a hint of being hungry. I use to just stry-fry chicken/beef/sausage/Spam with some veggies and rice. It's really easy and doesn't take much time. Usually ...chicken and rice. I had that everyday. Never got old. I didn't really try to control portions. Still lost weight. I still don't really control portions, still very lean.

You can try using a t-fal actifry. A friend of mine has one. Watched her cook on it. She just puts chicken+veggies in, turns it on and walks away. Then adds rice and sauce...walks away. And then magically there's some pretty good tasting stry-fried food ready to eat. I was amazed how easy she made it look and the quality of the food from that contraption. If I was a lazy cook, I'd buy it too.

• Like 1

Good luck! The longer you can go, the more of a turn off fast food will become. I agree w/ planning your meals ahead, preparing and freezing them so you have easy stuff to heat up. You can even just make a quesadilla or tortilla pizza or something if you are feeling lazy.

To avoid driving through the drive through after work, plan in advance. For example, go to the store now, and come home and prep your lunches and dinners for the next few days. Repeat until the month is done.

• Author

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yeah, chicken and rice. That's the way to go. Get my protein, and it's relatively healthy. I also do enjoy the occasional fried Spam and rice, which is less healthy, but still better than fast food.

Good luck! The longer you can go, the more of a turn off fast food will become.

That's part of my reasoning for doing one month cold turkey. There have been a few times in my life where I went months without eating FF, but then a friend would insist, I would cave and then the old habits are reborn. I just want to go through a stretch where the taste and desire is out of my system, so that the longer I go without it, the less I desire to go back to it.

So far, so good a quarter of a day into my goal lol. For lunch I'm having a leftover gyro from a greek restaurant I went to last night. I don't count that as fast food. When I say fast food I specifically mean Mickey D's, BK, Wendy's, Carl's Jr., Jack in the Box, pizza chains and Taco Bell.

Pizza is my weakness. During the summer there were days where I bought a whole large pizza and would eat it over the course of 2 days. Not healthy. But so yummy and a simple guilty pleasure. Those days are over. At least, for September.

"Wake me up when September ends"

• Author

Tonight's dinner is mapped out so I don't feel the urge to make a run to the drive-thru... 2 slices of fried spam and egg whites (I love egg whites... I actually don't really like the yolk, never did!) on dutch crunch bread. Yum! A little hot sauce and it's a simple easy meal.

sdrawkcaB ssA

Here is a neat trick to do with chicken breast. Marinade 50/50 in lite beer and fat free Italian dressing over night.

Also lean beef strips can be done 50/50 red wine and fat free Italian dressing for 3 to 5 days. Grill til browned as the vinegar cooks and tenderizes the beef.

Once you develop a taste for home cooked foods, fast food will be lacking on the taste buds. It will take a good 4 to 6 months for you to get over temptation. Though once you try fast food again after such time, it will feel too greasy in your tummy.

For a quick Pizza fix... low fat tortilla with a wee slathering of Ragu and skim milk cheese shreds and turkey pepperoni will allow you to have a lite nibble to satisfy your pizza craving and not have the extra pizza calling to you.

I usually put it in a pan and toast each side. While one side is already toasted I put a brushing of Ragu and cover with sprinkles of cheese and 6 or so turkey pepperonis. If you want your pepperonis to be baked, you can toaster oven them separately while preparing the pizza and place them as a topping when done. The calories will be much less than any pizza from a store or shop.

Either eat some veggies before a meal or after to take up space... as we can get use to eating a wee more being alone and all.

• Like 1
  • Author
Here is a neat trick to do with chicken breast. Marinade 50/50 in lite beer and fat free Italian dressing over night.

Also lean beef strips can be done 50/50 red wine and fat free Italian dressing for 3 to 5 days. Grill til browned as the vinegar cooks and tenderizes the beef.

Once you develop a taste for home cooked foods, fast food will be lacking on the taste buds. It will take a good 4 to 6 months for you to get over temptation. Though once you try fast food again after such time, it will feel too greasy in your tummy.

For a quick Pizza fix... low fat tortilla with a wee slathering of Ragu and skim milk cheese shreds and turkey pepperoni will allow you to have a lite nibble to satisfy your pizza craving and not have the extra pizza calling to you.

I usually put it in a pan and toast each side. While one side is already toasted I put a brushing of Ragu and cover with sprinkles of cheese and 6 or so turkey pepperonis. If you want your pepperonis to be baked, you can toaster oven them separately while preparing the pizza and place them as a topping when done. The calories will be much less than any pizza from a store or shop.

Either eat some veggies before a meal or after to take up space... as we can get use to eating a wee more being alone and all.

Wow thanks for the great tips. I gotta try that pizza idea sometime. It sounds yummy yet still not too fattening. You da man :)

ok, i am joining, but not for fast food. i desperately need to kick the coffee habit and want to give it up for the month of September.

• Like 1

Good luck! I'll join you for fast food fast September :D

I managed to give up fast food for about 4 months at the beginning of the year, but couldn't resist the temptation of a McDonald's breakfast run at work one day... Now that my sport has ended for the year, I guess I better try to be a bit more healthy.

• Like 2

trekno:

well it is off to a good start

you have a achievable plan

keep track -- keep a few granola bars in your car and a water

next time your hungry snack on something that is not crap

good luck - -keep me updated

• Author

1 day in the books successfully! LOL :)

Also, I've now done DDP Yoga 3 nights in a row. Haven't done 3x in a row in a while now. I won't be able to do it every night, but the 3 day weekend helped ;)

I aim to do it 3-4x a week. Did it 4x last week and this week am off to a banging start having done it 2x already with 5 days to go (did it Sunday and Monday).

Want to do the workouts AND eat healthy and see the results!

• Like 1
  • Author
Good luck! I'll join you for fast food fast September :D

I managed to give up fast food for about 4 months at the beginning of the year, but couldn't resist the temptation of a McDonald's breakfast run at work one day... Now that my sport has ended for the year, I guess I better try to be a bit more healthy.

newmoon and varonny, glad to have you aboard as well :)

• Like 2

Teknoe:

don't expect 100% fast results

set the bar low -- feels good each time you step over it with your goals

Keep us posted

Always Pondering

I'm not sure if you classify Chipotle as part of your definition of "fast-food" (my local one has a drive-thru) but if you ever have no time or pre-cooked food and really want to get a quick bite to eat, you could go there instead. When I do go to Chipotle, I usually just get a bowl that has rice, grilled chicken, lettuce, sometimes beans. If I remember correctly (I may be wrong), my usual there isn't made with any hydrogenated oils or GMOs because I avoid the tortilla, sour cream, corn, etc. It also tastes really good. If I'm starving and don't want to cook, I usually either do this or make a protein shake.

I also agree with chicken and rice being very convenient and tasty. My rice cooker usually always has rice in it, warm and ready.

• Like 2

one day for me too! i don't drink coffee past 12pm so i am in the clear too for day 1.

Teknoe... i printed a simple calendar today for just September so i can mark off the days i have success. maybe a calendar would work for you too?

• Author
one day for me too! i don't drink coffee past 12pm so i am in the clear too for day 1.

Teknoe... i printed a simple calendar today for just September so i can mark off the days i have success. maybe a calendar would work for you too?

Good idea. I'll print a September calendar too.

Always Pondering, thanks for the tip. I wouldn't consider what you order from Chipotle fast food. In a pinch, I might resort to a salad from a fast food joint. Maybe the one you mentioned at Chipotle. Somehow, I don't get the feeling that the salads at say Wendy's or Mickey D's are particularly healthy compared to other salads?

Thruster, I'm not expecting immediate fast results. By October I'd be happy to lose 3-5 pounds. I don't plan to weigh myself necessarily. For me, I just want to feel better about my body, and I think when I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror that's all I really need to know. The ole "eyeball test" lol.

So, I'm finding out I get pretty hungry at work around 3:30. It's a reason why when I leave around 6 on some nights that I'm really hungry and lazy that I tend to pull up at the drive-thru. To help remedy this, I need to buy some snacks to bring from home. I'm looking at naturebox.com which I hear some good things about, but my friends said I could just go to Trader Joe's and pick some up. However, I might try Naturebox.com. You get 5 packs for 20 bucks a month. I cancelled Netflix last night and might sign on with Naturebox.

Nuts are pretty filling, but I tend to like the salty ones. Are there healthy nuts that have a bit of salt or salty flavor to them? I could keep a box of nuts to munch on during the day.

I heard the secret is to snack more. Healthy snacks, that is. That's why naturebox.com appeals to me. There's over 100 choices I think, and some of them actually look really appealing.

Edited by Teknoe
  • Like 1

How many kms of running, walking, cycling, swimming, etc are you doing? Yoga isn't something that'll aid on fat loss very much.

Also fried spam?!? Are you serious? :sick:

I knew American cuisine was far from stellar but is garbage like that seriously passed on as food?

Forget those gimmicky food websites, they're a rip off. Get yourself a good Mediterranean cook book and start learning ASAP! This is the best way to eat healthy... Cook your own food.

• Author

Did yoga tonight... now done it 4 nights in a row. Going for 5 tomorrow :)

How many kms of running, walking, cycling, swimming, etc are you doing? Yoga isn't something that'll aid on fat loss very much.

Also fried spam?!?

I like fried spam, but it's a once in a while treat. I grew up on it so I like the taste. But I know not everyone does.

Not running or walking much. Just eating better and doing DDP Yoga.

Before you say yoga isn't something that will aid on fat loss, please google "DDPYoga Arthur" and watch that video. Pretty nuts. I just want to lose 20 pounds in the next 10 months or so. I think if I eat healthy and do DDPYoga at least 4x a week, I should be OK. Cutting out all the burgers, pizza, soda and candy I consume in a year's time oughta help me tremendously alone. Add in the yoga workouts, and I should be good for some weight loss. My poor diet really hampered my weight goals earlier this year.

• Like 1
sdrawkcaB ssA
Did yoga tonight... now done it 4 nights in a row. Going for 5 tomorrow :)

I like fried spam, but it's a once in a while treat. I grew up on it so I like the taste. But I know not everyone does.

Not running or walking much. Just eating better and doing DDP Yoga.

Before you say yoga isn't something that will aid on fat loss, please google "DDPYoga Arthur" and watch that video. Pretty nuts. I just want to lose 20 pounds in the next 10 months or so. I think if I eat healthy and do DDPYoga at least 4x a week, I should be OK. Cutting out all the burgers, pizza, soda and candy I consume in a year's time oughta help me tremendously alone. Add in the yoga workouts, and I should be good for some weight loss. My poor diet really hampered my weight goals earlier this year.

Yoga is great for loosing fat... Men in general mock it, and don't realize when performing Yoga properly will be a lot of work on the muscles.

You may want to try Palladis, there are a few shared positions from Yoga, and allows for some cardio along with variations of exercises most have done in school through the years.

Great plan and glad you are attempting you best. After the 2nd week you should find some results in both how you feel and in eating habits.

One thing to remember... you must eat normal portions, no fasting or skipping between meals. Even if you snacked... the reason for it is your body will go into starvation mode.

Peeps don't realize it is not how much you eat, it is what you eat. You can eat all the raw veggies you want for snacks and not upset your eating habits. Snacking on carbs or pure protein as most muscle builders do, will add weight worse than before.

In order to use protein bars or supplements you must really burn and work out. That is something you can do once you get into shape. Don't rush, as it took years to get where you are at, no sense in undoing it all in a month or two. Just does not happen.

• Like 1