paxil and weight gain

Ive been trying to manage my anxiety attacks and my dr prescribed Paxil.

I googled it and heard nothing but negative info, esp about weight gain.

Is Paxil guaranteed to make me gain weight or if I continue to eat and exercise as I normally do, will I be ok?

Medication effects are different on everyone. I recommend buspirone for daily anxiety maintenance. A lot of people say birth control makes them gain weight, but I've never had that issue.

if I continue to eat and exercise as I normally do, will I be ok?

Theoretically, yes, but meds affect the brain and the brain runs the body, regulating aspects like metabolic rate and appetite.

IMO, if the med works for your anxiety, then dealing with the side effects relevant to weight gain can be managed. If you have consistent dietary and exercise programs in place, you should be able to deal with any changes. Your doctor may have some specific recommendations. My only bit of advice is, once you're on the drug, don't stop it without consulting with your doctor first. This is especially common when people begin to feel 'better'.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Carhill is correct.

Speak to your doctor.

A note. The issue is rarely the specific drug. It is the change of your motivation, sexual drive, etc. You can't gain weight if you consume less calories than you expend but your perception of your lifestyle can get fuzzy.

It's a plus that you are asking this question and have the initiative to take charge of your lifestyle.

I've been on Celexa for depression and generalized anxiety. So far, my up-off-the-couch time has offset my calorie intake (which has increased, as I was too lazy/depressed to fix anything to eat). So, I've lost about five pounds.

If one drug has a specific side effect, another very closely related drug may not. Keep open communication with your doctor, and good luck!

As another poster mentioned...a lot of depression and anxiety drugs can lower your sex drive. :(

melodicintention

I took paxil in the mid 90s after developing Panic Disorder my Sr. year of college. I was also a diagnosed clinically depressed in third grade. I went from 110 lbs to 150 lbs very quickly. I was pretty chunky looking for my frame.

I think it happened because I used to be a VERY picky eater and basically didn't eat much due to my anxiety and was underweight. Once I took the paxil it unknowingly at the time made me go manic (several years later I was diagnosed Bipolar II and now am only on Lithium which completely manages both my depression and mania...I rarely have any anxeity out of the norm) and I ate like I hadn't eaten in years.

It took me 6 painful months of shaving bit-by-bit off my pills till I could wean off of them, and about 2 months to shed the weight walking over 10 hrs a day doing split shifts as a waitress.

Paxil is the most evil of anti-depressants. I would NEVER recommend it. Feels like you are trippin' acid going on it, and worse coming off it. I wouldn't personally recommend any anti-depressants after trying so many and finding that Lithium actually treats depression better with little to no side effects along with a combination of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

• Author

well, been on paxil for a week now and so far have lost 2lbs, not gained

I know its only been a week, but it still is helping me w social anxiety.

Im hoping it will help me date better, as some of my relationships fail due to my own anticipation anxiety and creating self fulfilling prophesies w my doom and gloom mentality

well, been on paxil for a week now and so far have lost 2lbs, not gained

I know its only been a week, but it still is helping me w social anxiety.

Im hoping it will help me date better, as some of my relationships fail due to my own anticipation anxiety and creating self fulfilling prophesies w my doom and gloom mentality

I'm so happy for you! Did you start on a half dose to be raised a little later? (Like in three weeks?) That's when I found it really kicked in for me.

Everything gets better. :)

Google natural treatments for anxiety and depression. Just by changing your diet and increasing various supplements you won't need Big Pharma drugs. Helluva lot cheaper and safer.

Or get initiated in Kriya Yoga meditation. You will have calmness and peace. I did a whole weekend and feel great. Need to stick with the program and practice daily, as with other good habits. I put a thread about it on the Spirituality forum.

Even combine regular yoga exercise with kriya meditation for a double dose of peace!