As you get older. Do you really feel different from when you were in your 20's. I just don't feel 43. I feel like I am 10 yrs younger.

I say that as I feel most people should basically shave off 10 yrs. My reasoning is that at age 10 and before that. A person really does not go back that far with critical thinking. So I see most people emotionally at least 10 yrs younger than they really are.

Also. Do you feel funny if someone asks your age? What age do you feel you are. I feel like I am more 33/34.

The only thing that I have noticed is that when I let my stuble grow out. I have a little bit of grey. My metabolism has slowed down. Yet I am now just cleared up my fridge and have no junk in my food at the moment.

Any thoughts.

• Like 4

I'm the same as you. I'll be turning 37 in a week but still feel/think like I'm 20. Sometimes I have to stop and think about what my age actually is. lol. My husband is the same way, so I'm guessing it's pretty normal.

• Like 3

I'm almost 33 and often forget that I'm not in my mid 20's. Nothing about my life says that I'm a 30 year old man. That fact that my ex GF was 21 doesn't really help.

GorillaTheater

This is pretty standard, I imagine. I'm 52, am a grandfather, and have a heavy load of work and other responsibilities.

But I also have a 19-year-old smartass kid still inside of me that pops out now and then. Especially around here.

• Like 4
Smilecharmer
This is pretty standard, I imagine. I'm 52, am a grandfather, and have a heavy load of work and other responsibilities.

But I also have a 19-year-old smartass kid still inside of me that pops out now and then. Especially around here.

:lmao: Me too. I still can be such a smarty pants. You have kids at home still, don't you? I love to play with mine and be silly. Having small kids is the best for that because you can color and play with paper dolls or army men and covered wagons all you want and no one notices.

I feel about nineteen most of the time except when responsibility gets in the way.

• Like 2
GorillaTheater
:lmao: Me too. I still can be such a smarty pants. You have kids at home still, don't you? I love to play with mine and be silly. Having small kids is the best for that because you can color and play with paper dolls or army men and covered wagons all you want and no one notices.

I feel about nineteen most of the time except when responsibility gets in the way.

We do still have kids at home (the youngest just turned 8), and I agree. Between the younger kids, and matching wits and comebacks with the teenagers, it definitely helps keep you young mentally. And physically, if you're keeping up with them in that arena, too.

• Like 2
melodymatters

I hear this a lot from people of all generations, so I think it's kind of a universal truth. For me, it's that I have no physical problems, at all, and still have and wear some clothes from my teen years, so I can honestly say PHYSICALLY I don't feel any different than I did at 16.

My husband is 20 years younger, is REALLY tall and does physical labor so he is ALWAYS in pain somewhere or other on his body.

So, he's the slow creaky one, lol and I'm the one popping up saying " I'll get that honey... don't hurt your back !"

My parents are both in their 70's, VERY active and neither take one pill or medication.

It pisses me off when people in their 40's act like it's inevitable to feel "old" and achy out of shape. Sure genetics has a lot to do with it, but SO DOES weight, diet and physical activity !

Edited by melodymatters
spellin'
  • Like 4

What makes you feel older is having children and that's not even always the case. My mom, though, used to say she's the same as she always was. But when you do start feeling older (for me it was after 50), it's usually because of aches and pains and just not having the energy for a big social life, etc.

After working out hard earlier today in the gym, I definitely realized that I'm not as young as I used to be.

I used to never be sore right after a workout.

learning_slowly

You shouldn't overthink it. How does age matter?

If you get aches and pains you could be blaming them on your age, but it could be something else. Have you had your blood checked for vitamin deficiencies?

Some people have genes that make themselves feel older at a young age, but they don't stop living.

Never use age as an excuse until it actually causes you to stop.

A talent show on TV had an 81 year old dancing like a teenager, so it shows you that a lot of things are still possible.

• Like 1
My boyfriend and I are both approaching 60. Neither of us have aches, pain or on any meds.

We went dancing Friday with my daughters and their partners...hiking yesterday.

I lead a healthy lifestyle...don't feel any different than when in my 20's.

As for energy..it is self fulfilling. The more you do, the better you feel, the more energy it gives you. I always feel way better after being active.

This is good to hear. :). I am in my early 40s and I think "use it or lose it" is the motto to follow. You will feel better if you stay active. You don't have to run marathons but try walking, gardening, playing golf, etc.

The same principle applies to mental health. Learning keeps your mind agile.

• Like 2
  • Author

Learning Slowly. Was the show with the 81 yr old dancer. Was it the Ex Factor and it was like a 1930's Dance skit?

As you get older. Do you really feel different from when you were in your 20's. I just don't feel 43. I feel like I am 10 yrs younger.

I say that as I feel most people should basically shave off 10 yrs. My reasoning is that at age 10 and before that. A person really does not go back that far with critical thinking. So I see most people emotionally at least 10 yrs younger than they really are.

Also. Do you feel funny if someone asks your age? What age do you feel you are. I feel like I am more 33/34.

The only thing that I have noticed is that when I let my stuble grow out. I have a little bit of grey. My metabolism has slowed down. Yet I am now just cleared up my fridge and have no junk in my food at the moment.

Any thoughts.

It all depends - this is a big concept. Over six years ago, when I was 42, after the birth of my last child, I was in horrible shape -felt like 65. Knees in pain, back in pain, overweight, huffing and puffing, cholesterol in high zone. With a new born, and other issues in my life, I decided to get in shape. I can say I am stronger and more flexible than in my 20's.... I can bench press 300 lbs and I recently took up MMA.

That's due in large part I think to the amazing advancements in medical and sports and nutritional science out there -having money to take advantage of it.. and the internet for making this information available to me. ....but it is harder now. Its like it used to be a open road to feeling healthy - but as I aged - more and more hurdles are thrown down, medical issues, energy, injuries and recovery time, appearance issues, that I have to be smarter and better at leaping over or side stepping certain road blocks. Even minor vanity corrections/enhancements I have taken advantage off to help me continue down that road outward and inward.

But yes to answer your question, I think in many respects I do feel 10 or more years younger. I think our society we are seeing this more and more 40 is the new 30 and so on. Train smart, and don't give up. Will What you want.

Edited by dichotomy
learning_slowly
Learning Slowly. Was the show with the 81 yr old dancer. Was it the Ex Factor and it was like a 1930's Dance skit?

Yes it was britains got talent or one of those things.

I never feel my age. Unless I'm hungover... then I'm reminded, the hard way, that I am no longer 20 years old and that the 30s are a lot less forgiving!

• Like 1
Ninjainpajamas

The only time I feel my age is when I'm out at night and suddenly find myself surrounded by a bunch of teenagers..

The only time I feel my age is when I'm out at night and suddenly find myself surrounded by a bunch of teenagers..

Were they ninja? And turtles?

That's why I take care of my body, keeping up with the latest in health, antiaging, exercise, fashion, etc. I don't fanatically follow every fad, though, just do what works for me.

Walk behind someone and try to guess their age. You may be pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised. It's how you dress and move that gives you away or lets you fool people. I can't tell you how many times I've heard coworkers or even strangers, depending on the circumstances, say, "Well, wait until you get to be my age." I am so tempted to reply, "Honey, I was your age at least fifteen years ago." It would only make them hate me so I keep my mouth shut!

I'm 55 going on 25... and I often feel like I'm 25 again. It is amazing what exercise and diet [and great sex] can do for you. Ten years ago I was ten years older... at least! The fact is that I had one foot in the grave.

littleplanet

When I was 43, I was still working a rock&roll band, and still had the energy I had at 19.

The secret?

I was still as clean as I was at 19. Combined with all that energy and sweat onstage.

I still believe music is the secret elixer of youth. Aches and pains and complaints disappear in front of a microphone.

(and it just gets too cute when people try guessing my age)

But seriously: I think stress has got to be one of the biggest aging factors going. So de-stressing has its own just rewards. And I think your physical, mental and spiritual health all thank you for it.

Oh - and one other thing. Kids keep you young, no doubt about it.

Seems the devil's in the details, though. They can give you gray hairs, if you let 'em. Trick is to not let 'em!

(and kids is kids to me....all the way from babies to college students.)

I see roughly 80,000 of those every year, on the job.

I figure every giggle-fit bestowed shaves at least a month off the aging process.

But the aches and pains? My own giggle fits are still the best medicine.

Beyond that, a soft-shoe shuffle and a good riff work wonders.

And when all said and done, perhaps it is passion, after all......that tames that relentless ticktock.

• Like 1

Any thoughts.

I'm 45 and yes I do feel my age. I can't spend all day at the gym taking classes like I use to when I was 22. When I'm out in public I no longer get the attention I used to when I was in my twenties. Our western culture isn't kind to middle-aged women. At this point, I've given up trying to compete with who I once was and am learning to accept this is who I am now.

• Like 2

Honestly, I'm smack dab in the middle of my 40's now & some days I have the energy of a 20 year old, while other days my true age reminds me that was some 20 plus years ago! :laugh: I'm thankful to look more like 30 but I can't say I always feel like it.

Mea :-)

Ninjainpajamas
I'm 45 and yes I do feel my age. I can't spend all day at the gym taking classes like I use to when I was 22. When I'm out in public I no longer get the attention I used to when I was in my twenties. Our western culture isn't kind to middle-aged women. At this point, I've given up trying to compete with who I once was and am learning to accept this is who I am now.

Women often gripe about western culture which is supposed to be more strict about fitness, health/weight, looks, and youth, but when I hear about other cultures, it seems out of all the cultures, western culture "entitles" women to the most rights...or is there a culture out there I'm unaware of that is far ahead of western culture? because everything else I've heard has been worse.

I see women in their 30's, 40's, 50's, going out and partying and having a good time, getting dressed up, hitting up the local bar/pub festival, being single and "wild", not necessarily being "oppressed" by western culture, subjected to wearing thick pants and sweaters forcing them to hide their bodies and faces as all the hot bodied youthful women spit on them walking by.

• Like 1