I can't get out of bed in the morning.

I used to be the type of person who would get up with the alarm. No snooze button for me. I'd be up at 5 am and out the door to exercise, and shower, and breakfast before work at 8.

Then I had a panic attack and got really depressed. Suddenly, I was sleeping all the time, hitting snooze for about an hour and a half after my first alarm, and I lost a lot of weight, to the point of unhealthiness, so I quit going to the gym.

Well, the depression has cleared up, I'm back up to a healthy weight, and... I still can't get out of bed in the morning, so I miss my morning gym time. I don't really have much time during the rest of the day to work in a work out. I have zero motivation to get out of bed at 5 am and drag my sorry behind to the gym, aside from setting an alarm and promising I will go- almost every morning, and every day I let myself down.

I've tried working backwards by setting my alarm earlier each day, but I will still snooze through it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have similar issues. I try scheduling stuff I can't blow off in the morning so I'm forced to get moving.

TouchedByViolet

Sounds like you still feel some type of depression. What is bothering you?

• Like 1

I have the exact same issues.

Though what I often do is get out around 7 or 8. Have a bowl of cereal. And then get back in bed for a couple of hours.

There is absolutely nothing I look forward to each day, so to me it really sucks getting up early.

It's depression.

• Like 1
learning_slowly

Can you not do something you enjoy first thing e.g. buy a boxset you like the look of and watch 10 minutes before doing anything else. Get something to look forward too in order to overcome the lethargy.

Once the habit is formed you should start to be your old self. The exercise will help with the depression, but you may need a blast of medication / counseling to overcome it completely.

I have the same problem. I am shocking at getting out of bed. Partly because I stay up late.

I find it extremely difficult to wake up unless I've had 9 hours of sleep, and have to use music to wake myself up.

I think the biggest factor is that I'm on holidays at the moment and don't have anything to wake up for. My mind has gotten lazy.

I have never, ever been a morning person, and in my case it isn't depression, just the way I am. Given that you have a history of depression, might be a good idea to talk to a doctor/therapist about it though.

Is exercising after work instead an option?

• Like 1
Justanaverageguy
I used to be the type of person who would get up with the alarm. No snooze button for me. I'd be up at 5 am and out the door to exercise, and shower, and breakfast before work at 8.

Then I had a panic attack and got really depressed. Suddenly, I was sleeping all the time, hitting snooze for about an hour and a half after my first alarm, and I lost a lot of weight, to the point of unhealthiness, so I quit going to the gym.

Well, the depression has cleared up, I'm back up to a healthy weight, and... I still can't get out of bed in the morning, so I miss my morning gym time. I don't really have much time during the rest of the day to work in a work out. I have zero motivation to get out of bed at 5 am and drag my sorry behind to the gym, aside from setting an alarm and promising I will go- almost every morning, and every day I let myself down.

I've tried working backwards by setting my alarm earlier each day, but I will still snooze through it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I had something similar happen to me about 2 years back. I am a naturally positive and energetic person. Never had any issues like this previously but I had a very very busy and stressful time at work. Literally worked myself to the bone for a 12 month period which resulted in me burning myself out .... and culminated in me having a anxiety attack one night. (only every had one - scary as ***** when you don't know what it is).

I had symptoms almost exactly the same as you. I found I struggled to get to sleep at night, would wake up frequently during the night .... but then could not get out of the bed in the morning. Was snoozing my alarm constantly but never felt rested. I stopped exercising and it almost became cyclic. The less energy I had - the harder I had to work, the less time I had for exercise and sleep. The problem got worse and worse.

My advice - you need to break the cycle you are in - take a proper break. Even just for a week if you can - visit a spa for a day or 2 .... or more. Don't drink any alcohol and make it purely about getting yourself back in balance. I found massage, meditation and exercise were unbelievably helpful for me. But exercise is definitely the most important - while on the break try to exercise at least a couple of times a day so you start to build some momentum you can bring with you into your regular life so it doesn't feel like you are starting from scratch and digging yourself out of a hole.

I know how hard it is to get motivated and find energy to exercise because when you are anxious and not sleeping right you are always tired and the last thing you want to do is work out - but it is the best cure for anxiety/depression. Seriously no pill can help as much as regular exercise does.

Oh and I also switched from lots of coffee everyday - to Chineese herbal tea. Caffeine is bad for anyone who has anxiety problem. I would suggest a tea like Pu-erh. Lowers blood pressure and helps calm the body.

Those are my tips

Else:

control what you eat after 6:00pm (no sugar --no coffee)

get in the sack by 9:00 -- snooze - -toss turn -- just get under the covers

set the alarm - 30: minutes prior - smack the snooze twice

Then get up and get to the gym!

by week 2

the cycle will be set (very similar to jet lag)

Did i mention get to the gym