Afraid of bleaching hair 0_0

xxxDantexEmmelixxx

hehe, so I want to bleach my hair to a platinum/white, cuz I like it, and my girlfriend likes it.... but I'm scared of bleaching it.. I've heard of chemical burns and massive scabs and bald spots that can happen if its done wrong... anybody on here have experience with getting there hair bleached successfully or unsuccesfuly? ^^ thanks!

MidwestUSA

Go to a reputable salon, they do it all the time. To go truly platinum, you'll most likely have to pull your color out and deposit the platinum.

And if it falls out, it's just hair. It'll grow back. :)

• Like 2
  • Author
xxxDantexEmmelixxx

thanks ^^

but yeah, the pics I saw wouldn't grow back, it was horrifying and they pretty much could lift most of the scalp off 0_0 icky..

• Like 1
MidwestUSA
thanks ^^

but yeah, the pics I saw wouldn't grow back, it was horrifying and they pretty much could lift most of the scalp off 0_0 icky..

Well, I'd say those types of reactions are few and far between, but definitely possible. How dark is your natural hair? The more it has to be lightened, the more likely there is to be damage.

My stepdaughter had long, black hair (dyed, she is naturally brown). She opted to go platinum (with a turquoise streak :eek:). It only lasted as long as the blow out they gave her at the salon that hid the damage to her hair. (No scalp damage, just fried hair).

Now, for the first time in twenty years, she has short hair, she had to cut it off. But, that was a lifetime of damage from chemical processes. She's a stripper, and the hair is a big part of that, so she bought several wigs. Not what I'd want to wear in summers around here!

Ask people you know with processed hair that looks good who they use. Don't go blindly into anyone willing to do it for you. Get a consult first and ask what the risks are. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Author
xxxDantexEmmelixxx
Well, I'd say those types of reactions are few and far between, but definitely possible. How dark is your natural hair? The more it has to be lightened, the more likely there is to be damage.

My stepdaughter had long, black hair (dyed, she is naturally brown). She opted to go platinum (with a turquoise streak :eek:). It only lasted as long as the blow out they gave her at the salon that hid the damage to her hair. (No scalp damage, just fried hair).

Now, for the first time in twenty years, she has short hair, she had to cut it off. But, that was a lifetime of damage from chemical processes. She's a stripper, and the hair is a big part of that, so she bought several wigs. Not what I'd want to wear in summers around here!

Ask people you know with processed hair that looks good who they use. Don't go blindly into anyone willing to do it for you. Get a consult first and ask what the risks are. Good luck!

well mine isn't too dark, it's kinda medium brown? maybe slightly on the darker side, but it isn't oak-dark or anything ^^

owch, I've heard some pretty bad stories with stuff like that 0_0 should have used coconut oil ^^

nothing wrong with short hair though ;) still, I'd be heartbroken (used to have about 10-11 inch hair) if I had to cut it all off 0_0 well mine is growing down to just under my eyes, and gonna brush it down, maybe with bangs ^^

and I will do, I'm pretty bad at approaching random people in the streets haha, but I should find someone ^^ my grandma is a professional hairdresser trained by swarskopfh (however its spelt xD) but yeah... since she can't do a simple hair trim without cutting your ears off, I wouldn't trust her to bleach it for me :D

thanks! ^^

Candy_Pants

Scalp lifting off? Nah. Most likely the strongest hydrogen peroxide (developer) you can get your hands on (as a non professional) is 40 volume. Unless you've got baby fine hair it will have minimum damage if left on for one application of 45 minutes.

If you do more than 45 minutes, or multiple applications, YES, your scalp will be damaged. It'll be like a sunburn and will slowly flake off (like dandruff).

Depending on the color it lifts to (for platinum you need pale yellow) you'll have to correct what the eye sees with a semi permanent color (toner).

Pale yellow + pale purple = platinum

Yellow + purple = blonde

Yellow/orange + purple/blue = darker blonde

And so on. I recommend a liquid (not a cream) semi permanent applied to evenly damp hair, massage throughout. You'll need a diffrent liquid developer for the semi permanent, most likely 5% or 9%. The higher the developer, the faster the process.

Apply bleach to dirty hair, but not hair with products in it. The natural oils will help protect your scalp.

• Like 1
Photofinish

I did it to my hair and the purple color came off and now im stuck with this rusty red color. I cant wait to grow it out and cut he bleached pieces. Never again.

• Like 1
  • Author
xxxDantexEmmelixxx

@candy pants, I'd post the pic if I could, but tbh I think it was kind of a worst case scenario, or severe allergic reaction or something, it was icky ^^

thanks by the way, so that mix for platinum, is that platinum blonde, or like white? ^^

so what? should I just go for a few days without washing my hair to let it get greasy or something? ^^

@photofinish (love the profile pic btw :3 ) oooh, what shade of purple was it? ^^ nothing wrong with red, but I'd be gutted if that happened 0_0 I wanz an electric blue fringe on my hair ^^

• Like 1
Photofinish

Your profile picture is awesome as well! xD

It was like a lavender purple actually. Now it's a yucky fainted red. I dyed over it in brown and it didnt catch it all so now I have 3 colors in my hair and it looks terrible =/

• Like 1

Go to a top-rated salon and ask questions about your concerns before committing.

• Like 1
  • Author
xxxDantexEmmelixxx

@photofinish hehe thanks ^^

pfft rainbow hair ftw! *O* xD

@solemate will do ^^

Candy_Pants
I did it to my hair and the purple color came off and now im stuck with this rusty red color. I cant wait to grow it out and cut he bleached pieces. Never again.

If you want to correct the red you'll need an ash (green based) brown.

@candy pants, I'd post the pic if I could, but tbh I think it was kind of a worst case scenario, or severe allergic reaction or something, it was icky ^^

thanks by the way, so that mix for platinum, is that platinum blonde, or like white? ^^

so what? should I just go for a few days without washing my hair to let it get greasy or something?

Platinum blonde IS white. When you think of platinum what color do you see? When I was at my blondest I had white hair with a slightly silver tint. That happens when you leave the purple toner on for longer than is needed. I loved that, you might not.

Yes, I would let your hair get greasy. Honestly I think you ought to go to a professional. Platinum hair is no easy task.

Is your hair virgin? Or colored?

• Author
xxxDantexEmmelixxx
If you want to correct the red you'll need an ash (green based) brown.

Platinum blonde IS white. When you think of platinum what color do you see? When I was at my blondest I had white hair with a slightly silver tint. That happens when you leave the purple toner on for longer than is needed. I loved that, you might not.

Yes, I would let your hair get greasy. Honestly I think you ought to go to a professional. Platinum hair is no easy task.

Is your hair virgin? Or colored?

well when I think platinum blonde, I always think of a really light, silvery blonde, and by platinum, I think of kinda silvery/white ^^ so yeah, I'd propably love it :3

I shall take your advice ^^

erm, well, I have died my hair black twice in the past, but I shaved it, and my current hair isn't coloured, so virgin I think? ^^

Candy_Pants

Virgin hair is the easiest to lift, and lifts evenly.

Pictures plzzzz!! I want to live vicariously through you!!

• Like 1