random street encounters

esteem-jam

Where to start. Somethings been getting on my nerves.

Imagine a bitter, upset, moody person. Thats me on a bad day.

Ill get to the point. Sometimes, when I will be going for a walk outside something happens. I pass people, on pedestrian/sidewalks, naturally, no avoiding that.

And sometimes I pass some persons and they say "hi".

But its not and friendly how-are-you-doing-hi. It is a "hi" with a bullying laugh. Sometimes there is laugh. Mostly it`s girls, but happened with boys too. I think these persons sense my insecurity and feel like its OK to throw a "hi". This summer it already happened 3 times. And I get this mostly (always) from people younger than me, even preteen kids.

Today I took a bus ride to-and-back to some city. I returned back to home town, and was walking home. On pedestrian walk I observed some dude (first), then his girlfriend. When I was passing them I overheard (I think) the girl mentioning something about my looks, and a faint laugh. I felt insulted. (granted, the bus rides do bad stuff to my looks) I walked further, but I think maybe I should have returned, stopped her and asked if she said something.

When I am in a good mood this never happens. When I am down I get these "hi`s"

I dont feel like starting a fight with small girls, but maybe I should? To stand up for myself, in a way.

I dont know what to do, but when this happens, I am upset.

I know this sounds retarded, but welcome to my world.

Edited by esteem-jam

I think you should be able to brush things like these off without them touching you. I occasionally had to face this stuff too (teens pulling out pranks etc.), sometimes I managed to made them realize they were being ridiculous, sometimes I just shrugged and walked away. I agree that it can be annoying, but the world is full of idiots. Don't stop arguing with them or you'll fall to their level. I think it's not worth it.

• Like 1
Mr Scorpio

Who says "hi" in a bullying manner? I have never encountered such a thing. And starting a fight? With small girls? Over words? Dude.

Consciously have a little smile on your face if they are only harassing you when you are scowling. Maybe one of those fake smiles with your lips tightly closed. Wear sunglasses so they can't see you are faking it.

There was at least one experiment where people who fake smiled actually became happier because the muscles triggered a certain part of the brain. So fake it till you make it.

What I hate, and I can usually spot these guys a mile off, is beggars (usually) who say, "Excuse me, miss." That is not a conversation I want to be part of.

Who says "hi" in a bullying manner? I have never encountered such a thing. And starting a fight? With small girls? Over words? Dude.

This. I really can't even imagine the tone here. I also cannot believe that you're not misinterpreting their intentions.

• Author
esteem-jam

I dont think faking a smile will work for me. More like working towards better overall mood.

I think one reason why it happens is because there is a period of looking at each other - eyes, clothes. I dont stare, but maybe sometimes the interest gets me and the period of looking is too big and they are compelled to say something?

It never happens one on one. It happens one-two, one-three.