Brain is working at optimum levels?

learning_slowly

How do people ensure their brain is working at optimum levels?

Here are some ways that I know of:

1) there was brain training a few years back.

2) there are drugs you can buy now if you want to go down the cheating route.

3) by repeating what you want to do pathways will be created that will make you faster at that task.

Does anybody know any other suggestions to improve brain power?

sterlingarcher

Why ensure it's working on optimum levels if it's not necessary?

I'm sure I could get alot quicker/smarter with my brain if I tried, e.g. by doing math puzzles daily, but I don't. Its not necessary. I function in everyday life.

What is the context of your question? Anyway here are some brain-boosting tips:

- Get enough sleep

- Stay in great physical condition

- Challenge your brain regularly (read books, math, puzzles, learn something new, play a game that requires thinking etc)

- Don't do drugs

Just...stay healthy and use your brain.

• Like 2
Eternal Sunshine

By having intellectually challenging job, you stretch your brain to its limit and beyond, every day :cool:

By having intellectually challenging job, you stretch your brain to its limit and beyond, every day :cool:

Having your brain work at "optimum levels" every day is stressful, man.

• Author
learning_slowly

I have to do a lot of programming and so its easy to make miss things if you're not alert. I know IDEs help, but it's more about remembering the architecture of different systems / languages, e.g the differences in java and c#.

So ideally I want my brain to run as well as possible to reduce my reliance on googling what I already know.

Has anybody actually did anything and noticed a significant difference?

I have now got a blackout blind to reduce the sun waking me up too early and that has definitely helped.

todreaminblue

My brain is not working properly.Constant migraines i'm on pain meds now pretty much every four hours..... I think ,I have been thinking too much ....not good headaches suck....right about the time i decided i should go back to school do my hsc..... ....got a headache.......deb

1) there was brain training a few years back.

2) there are drugs you can buy now if you want to go down the cheating route.

3) by repeating what you want to do pathways will be created that will make you faster at that task.

#1 has worked for some people but I've found most of it to be bunk.

#2 sure, it's called caffeine. ;)

#3 is pretty standard, and applies to your context (programming) greatly.

I have to do a lot of programming and so its easy to make miss things if you're not alert. I know IDEs help, but it's more about remembering the architecture of different systems / languages, e.g the differences in java and c#.

Why do you need to 'remember' the differences in architecture? Regardless, most programmers that I know, try to avoid constantly switching languages for this reason. So what we do is try and focus on one project for as long as possible, then only switch languages for another project when absolutely necessary. Sometimes this is beneficial even if it involves some down-time, i.e. waiting for a person to respond to you, as switching languages does seem to involve a drop in efficiency for a short while as you readjust.

That being said Java and C# are two of the more similar languages out there, so perhaps you might not need to go down this route.

Has anybody actually did anything and noticed a significant difference?

I have now got a blackout blind to reduce the sun waking me up too early and that has definitely helped.

Yes, sufficient sleep is the most important factor for me. Aside from that, general good physical/mental health (eating well, good emotional state, etc). As well as a good environment to work in - a comfortable workstation, a window you can look out of and rest your eyes for a while, appropriate sound levels (some people like white noise, I prefer either instrumental music or perfect quiet). Edited by Elswyth