Update: Saw the Doctor today

I went to the doctor today and she told me that she is putting me on medicine for Bi-Polar Disorder and that I have it.

I am getting this medicine tomorrow and I will let you all know.

I'm a little down about it, but at least I know I guess... :(

You will be one of several LSers who, since joining, who have gone to docs and found themselves on meds. All the ones I know of so far have ended up feeling better. Sometimes people can have a bit of trouble getting dosages straight and some can have side-effects but they are manageable. Above all, keep in close touch with your doc and report any problems right away. Congratulations on seeking help - and very best of luck with your treatment!

I am confused about what behavior makes a person Bi-polar? I would really like it if you could explain what you have gone thru if you don't mind.

I do hope all goes well for you with the medication

Bipolar disorder is manic depression. I'll admit I'm surprised, supermom. In your posts you described symptoms of depression but not of mania (elation accompanied by extreme over-activity). Does that sound familiar?

Psychiatric diagnoses are labels that describe certain types of behaviour. They do not indicate anything about the nature or causes of the experiences. There is also a continuum between different conditions with some areas of overlap, rather than a distinct break.

I tell you this so that you don't react too strongly to the label until you've been on the meds long enough to know that the diagnosis is right. Also, given that you've had one bad experience with drugs, it's important that you know that getting the right type of drug and the right dosage can take some time as different people react in different ways. It's often a process rather than a one off.

Try not to worry too much. The most important thing is that you are getting the help you need and that it will make you feel better able to cope and happier about life. It's far too soon to know what the future holds other than that.

• Author
I'll admit I'm surprised, supermom. In your posts you described symptoms of depression but not of mania (elation accompanied by extreme over-activity). Does that sound familiar?

Meanon, I am surprised myself. She is prescribing me bi-polar medicine to see how I do as she feels strongly that I am bi-polar. The elation accompanied by extreme over-activity does happen, but not as often as the depression.

I have to admit I'm more down because of the diagnosis. I thought she'd just diagnos depression, but she didn't. I have to go back on the 30th for a check up. I pick up the meds today so I don't know what the name of it is but I'll let you know.

I thought it was possible I had OCD, and that's why I was taking Zoloft (my moms, yes not a good idea) but it helped me for a little bit, then made me want to commite suicide for no reason. I recognized this and stopped. I have a daughter to raise you know! I was told that OCD medication is not good for bipolar people because of the suicidal effect. My doc is even talking about a medication that has prozac in it if this med doesn't work. I am scared about this.

I either really happy or really sad, never just "normal" state. I'm depressed more than happy though. I don't understand. I have a wonderful husband at home and we don't fight - maybe an argument once in awhile but you'd think that I'd be happy right? It's like now I know something is wrong with me, which makes me depressed in itself.

My grandfather, mom, 2 sisters, and my brother all are bipolar and on meds. I was the only one who didn't go to the doc until now, until I really started getting depressed, having anxiety, and started yelling at my daughter in a way that I don't want to.

AAAAGGGGHHHH!

You can always get a second opinion - maybe by a doctor that's not so quick to just prescribe a drug instead of working with you to understand why you feel this way? Drugging someone doesn't fix the problem - it just makes them to oblivious to worry about it anymore.

The elation accompanied by extreme over-activity does happen, but not as often as the depression.

this is typical of type II bipolar disorder (it's the definition of)

i'm glad you're getting help. be very careful about rejecting your diagnosis. suicide rate is 19% for bipolar disorder-it's scary stuff.

the biggest problem for people with bipolar disorder is staying on medications. they either want to feel the mania again or they deny that anything is wrong. be careful there.

and if you ever need to talk to an off-key southern belle... ;)

These are early days, supermom. Try not to get too hung up on the label. Keep in close contact with your doctor who will revise and fine tune the meds as necessary. It must be frightening to be diagnosed with a mental illness, is there anything else that scares you? You mentioned prozac, it's a very commonly prescribed medication for a number of illnesses.

If you had a physical illness you wouldn't be wondering why your wonderful husband hadn't made you immune. This is no different.

The most important thing is that you feel well again - and that you don't take anyone else's medication!!!!

Drugging someone doesn't fix the problem - it just makes them to oblivious to worry about it anymore.

That isn't true. In fact, the drugs do what your body is supposed to but doesn't if you have an ailment of the brain - they regulate your neurochemicals so that they are balanced better.

This excellent article explains how neurotransmitters work, what they do, and what happens when they go out of whack. and what meds do to fix them when they're out of whack. He also talks about what the drugs do to fix the problems.

http://www.mental-health-matters.com/articles/article.php?artID=160

Originally posted by supermom

I went to the doctor today and she told me that she is putting me on medicine for Bi-Polar Disorder and that I have it.

I am getting this medicine tomorrow and I will let you all know.

I'm a little down about it, but at least I know I guess... :(

I am sorry supermom to hear about the disorder. I will pray that things go better for you and your little one. I read some of your posts here. It sounds like you have lots of stress. Hope you will feel better after medication.

Hang in there supermom. There are several of us on this forum in the same boat. We're here to support you. Just keep reminding yourself that it's a condition that is totally not your fault, there IS treatment for it and you WILL get better. I promise. ;)

What you described in your post definitely sounds like bipolar. When I got over the shock of my diagnosis, it was a relief to finally know what was wrong and to be told that I would get better. And I did. Much better. And you will too.

with such a strong family history, you must know a lot about bipolar already.

have you read anything by kay jamison redfield? she's wonderful.

what is the age of onset in your family? you might do well to read the book 'a bipolar child' by Demitri Papolos M.D. and Janice Papolos (about $18 on barnes and noble online) then you can be aware of symptoms in your darling child, should they occur.

LS should start a forum for bipolar. i bet we've enough people to keep it rather lively... ;)

( :p ooh, and y'all could nominate me for moderator ;);) )

Originally posted by lydiamarie

LS should start a forum for bipolar. i bet we've enough people to keep it rather lively... ;)

( :p ooh, and y'all could nominate me for moderator ;);) )

I'd vote for ya! :)

Just wanted to say that I've been diagnosed with Bipolar too - Bipolar II, that is. I also feel down a lot more often than manic. I also tend to be either all down or all happy, and rlly wish i stayed just 'normal' for longer stretches. Which med didja get prescribed? I've been on anti-depressants for a while, and while they seem to have helped, i'm contemplating trying smth different...

Btw, it is so true that Bipolar's often have trouble staying on meds. The rollercoaster of being bipolar has it's attractive points. Plus in the all happy stages, it's easy to assume "I'm cured! Screw the meds!". Make a deal with yourself to take the meds until your doc approves you quitting.

good luck!

-yes

do doctors ever approve a manic depressive quitting? i thought it was a mood stabilizer for life, antidepressant and antipsychotic as needed...

• Author

I picked up the meds yesterday and it's symbyax, which has prozac in it. Has anyone ever tried this?

It made me tired last night, but I'm sure that will go away. I am also keeping a close eye on my daughter as well.

This is something my doc is trying, and I go back on the 30th for another checkup.

I hope I hope I hope to be happy again (but not too much). I would just like to be on a normal level.

I'll keep you all posted on how it's working for me.

with such a strong family history, you must know a lot about bipolar already

I don't know a lot unfortunately. I live states away from my family and don't really get to see them alot so I know what my mom tells me. I am going on some websites my mom gave me and get more educated. My husband wants to get more educated as well.

Thank you all for your support :)

i'm in the process of looking this drug up, and it doesn't look like it's the right drug for you if it's used alone.

this is the webmd drug site where i'm getting my information:

http://my.webmd.com/hw/drug_data/d04917a1.asp?bn=Symbyax

' Fluoxetine is in a class of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Fluoxetine affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause depression, mood disturbances, or other psychological symptoms.

Olanzapine is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the actions of chemicals in the brain.

Together, fluoxetine and olanzapine are used to treat depression associated with bipolar disorder.' (from the site listed above)

so it doesn't look like this medication is designed to treat bipolar disorder-just depression associated with bipolar disorder.

what i would guess is the reason why it specifically says 'depression associated with bipolar disorder' is because there is some argument whether people with bipolar should EVER go on antidepressants because there is evidence that it leads to mixed moods and rapid cycling-two dangerous things. possibly the olanzapine (the antipsychotic) is meant to guard against that, so this medication was specifically tailored for people like us.

but it worries me that there is no mention of it being used alone for the treatment of bipolar disorder, so i am going to look up the manufacturer's website and wade through the pages of information there...i'll let you know what i find out.

also, be really careful with any other medications that you are taking, prescribed or over the counter. very few over the counter medications are okay to take with this medication, you aren't supposed to take ibuprofin, aspirin, aleve, sudafed, benadryl, etc. no nyquil or dayquil, no excederin migraine...

about all you can take is tylenol (acetamenophin). talk to your doctor about this.

Try this site. It has lots of good info.

http://www.symbyax.com/understanding/index.jsp

Here's what they say about symbyax:

SYMBYAX is a combination of two medicines in one capsule. One of the medicines is a common medication used to treat depression. The other belongs to a group of medicines called "psychotropics", and is approved for the treatment of the manic and maintenance phases of bipolar disorder. The two medicines in SYMBYAX work together to help treat a specific kind of illness known as bipolar depression.

It is the first medication approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of bipolar depression.

Also, about bipolar depression, one part of Bipolar:

What is Bipolar Depression?

Bipolar depression is just one part of bipolar disorder (also known as manic-depression), an illness millions of people have.

Most people experience changes in their mood and feelings as part of everyday life. But for people with bipolar disorder these changes are more dramatic. They may cause problems at home, at work or school, and in relationships.

While no one really knows what causes bipolar disorder, scientists believe it is caused by chemicals in the brain that become unbalanced. It's important to remember that bipolar disorder is an illness, just like heart disease or glaucoma. You didn't do anything to cause it, and you can't "snap" yourself out of it.

How is Bipolar Disorder Different from Depression?

Bipolar disorder and depression do share some symptoms. What makes bipolar disorder different from depression is the fact that bipolar disorder has two main phases: a depressive phase (sometimes referred to as bipolar depression) and a manic phase.

If you're experiencing the depressive phase of bipolar disorder, you might feel sad and hopeless. Things you once enjoyed don't seem fun or interesting anymore. You may be sleeping too much or too little. Maybe you feel anxious or guilty. People are more likely to talk to their doctor during this part of the illness because they feel so down.

The manic phase of bipolar disorder (or bipolar mania) is very different. There might be times when you have lots of energy or don't need to sleep as much. You might talk quickly and have "crowded" thoughts. Maybe you plan lots of complicated projects. You might feel irritable and lose your temper easily. You might go on spending sprees or make reckless decisions.

People with bipolar disorder have experienced both the depressive and manic phases of the illness at some point in their lives. People with depression (sometimes known as unipolar depression) have never experienced a manic episode.

Symptoms of Bipolar Depression

Symptoms that are associated with the depressive part of bipolar disorder include:

Sadness

Tearfulness

Hopelessness

Withdrawal from family and friends

Lethargy

Anxiety

Difficulty thinking, concentrating, or making decisions

Notable changes in sleep and eating patterns

Inability to enjoy things as you usually do

Feeling worthless or guilty

Suicidal thoughts

Good luck with the new medicine. Keep us posted.

i've been wading through the symbyax website and finally found what i was looking for in the section 'prescribing information' and the part of the site labeled for 'healthcare proffessionals'. all the other sections dumb things down and sum them up, but it leaves out the sorts of important information that they think only doctors should worry about. arrg.

so here is what i found:

'the following symptoms, anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility (agressiveness), impulsivity, akathisia (psychomotor restlessness), hyomania, and mania, have been reported in adult and pediatric patients being treated with antidepressants for major depressive disorder as well as for other indications, both pscychiatric and nonpsychiatric. Although a causal link between the emergence of such symptoms and either the worsening of depression and/or the emergence of suicidal impulses has not been established, consideration should be given to changing the therapeutic regimen, including possibly discontinuing the medication, in patients for whom such symptoms are severe, abrupt in onset, or were not part of the patient's presenting symptoms.'

http://pi.lilly.com/us/symbyax-pi.pdf

'Mania/hypomania—Because of the cyclical nature of bipolar disorder, patients should be monitored closely for the development of symptoms of mania/hypomania during treatment with SYMBYAX.'

http://www.symbyax.com/common_pages/hcp_safety.jsp (the healthcare provider part of the site)

so it looks like this is an okay drug for type II bipolar disorder but not for type I bipolar disorder unless used with a well established mood stabilizer. as with all medications, and ESPECIALLY antidepressants, be VERY careful. make sure you and those close to you keep a close eye on worsening symptoms of depression or any of mania or hypomania.

wishing you the best

In many countries a diagnosis of bipolar disorder is not made until the manic phase has been observed, as it is quite difficult to describe it (I live in the UK). I have a close friend who is a very experienced psychiatrist and she has only once diagnosed it without observing the manic phase, in this case there was such a detailed descrition that she didn't need to see it.

Ladyangel has described some of the symptoms of the manic phase - sleeplessness, elation changing to anxiety/irritation, having many projects on the go simultaneously. Others include very grandiose ideas of ones abilities (the feeling that you have superpowers is very common), very rapid speech and radidly changing but interconnected thoughts (so called flight of ideas) that are difficult for observers to follow.

Bipolar disorder is fairly rare, about the same frequency as schizophrenia.

supermom, you will feel much happier soon, I'm sure you will :) . Your doctor will have made a diagnosis and selected a drug that most closely matches your symptoms but it's not an exact science and that's why the check up on the 30th is vital. If you are at all worried, go sooner.

P.S.

do doctors ever approve a manic depressive quitting? i thought it was a mood stabilizer for life, antidepressant and antipsychotic as needed...

Yes, sometimes people do successfully come off medication and stay off.

supermom, I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis and how you feel about it. It seems like problems that you can talk your way through don't exist anymore. There's a pill for everything. I hope that the medication will help you feel better about life. I REALLY hope that you can some day move on in your life without them so you don't have to suffer side effects and varying dosages. Either way, at least you understand yourself a little better now. Good luck.

Bipolar disorder is fairly rare, about the same frequency as schizophrenia.

Meanon, save me some hunting? What about Type II Bipolar? I get the impression that it's more common than Type I by a fair bit.

It seems like problems that you can talk your way through don't exist anymore. There's a pill for everything

There has been some success with 'talking' biochemicals back into order, but nobody's got a lock on how it works and I don't think it works for manic phases. It is difficult to talk your neurotransmitters into the proper balance. However, talk therapy is good for many, many things and I and others recommend it to folks who have problems they can't seem to get out of on their own. But something biochemical isn't that sort of problem.

Bipolar I is the one we hear about most, but it is not the most common. Milder forms of the illness are far more common than the classic Bipolar I type.

There are four classified types of Bipolar Disorder, with many variations of each.

Bipolar I (includes manic episodes)

Bipolar II (recurrent depressions without psychotic manic episodes)

Bipolar III-Medicated Mania - (this was me) - (manic episode precipitated by a drug, frequently an antidepressant because the person was mistakenly believed to have clinical depresssion.) He or she is really a misdiagnosed manic-depressive

Cyclothymes (Mild ups and downs)

Then there is "Mixed States," which is not a classification, but rather a description.