LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

Update: Saw the Doctor today

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2004, 1:06 AM   #1
Established Member

Update: Saw the Doctor today

I went to the doctor today and she told me that she is putting me on medicine for Bi-Polar Disorder and that I have it.

I am getting this medicine tomorrow and I will let you all know.

I'm a little down about it, but at least I know I guess...
supermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 1:18 AM   #2
Established Member

You will be one of several LSers who, since joining, who have gone to docs and found themselves on meds. All the ones I know of so far have ended up feeling better. Sometimes people can have a bit of trouble getting dosages straight and some can have side-effects but they are manageable. Above all, keep in close touch with your doc and report any problems right away. Congratulations on seeking help - and very best of luck with your treatment!
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness that I can show to my fellow creatures, let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
moimeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 1:27 AM   #3
Established Member

What were your symptoms?? Your behavior?

I am confused about what behavior makes a person Bi-polar? I would really like it if you could explain what you have gone thru if you don't mind.

I do hope all goes well for you with the medication
Maria46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 6:46 AM   #4
Established Member

Bipolar disorder is manic depression. I'll admit I'm surprised, supermom. In your posts you described symptoms of depression but not of mania (elation accompanied by extreme over-activity). Does that sound familiar?

Psychiatric diagnoses are labels that describe certain types of behaviour. They do not indicate anything about the nature or causes of the experiences. There is also a continuum between different conditions with some areas of overlap, rather than a distinct break.

I tell you this so that you don't react too strongly to the label until you've been on the meds long enough to know that the diagnosis is right. Also, given that you've had one bad experience with drugs, it's important that you know that getting the right type of drug and the right dosage can take some time as different people react in different ways. It's often a process rather than a one off.

Try not to worry too much. The most important thing is that you are getting the help you need and that it will make you feel better able to cope and happier about life. It's far too soon to know what the future holds other than that.
meanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 1:33 PM   #5
Established Member

Quote:
I'll admit I'm surprised, supermom. In your posts you described symptoms of depression but not of mania (elation accompanied by extreme over-activity). Does that sound familiar?
Meanon, I am surprised myself. She is prescribing me bi-polar medicine to see how I do as she feels strongly that I am bi-polar. The elation accompanied by extreme over-activity does happen, but not as often as the depression.

I have to admit I'm more down because of the diagnosis. I thought she'd just diagnos depression, but she didn't. I have to go back on the 30th for a check up. I pick up the meds today so I don't know what the name of it is but I'll let you know.

I thought it was possible I had OCD, and that's why I was taking Zoloft (my moms, yes not a good idea) but it helped me for a little bit, then made me want to commite suicide for no reason. I recognized this and stopped. I have a daughter to raise you know! I was told that OCD medication is not good for bipolar people because of the suicidal effect. My doc is even talking about a medication that has prozac in it if this med doesn't work. I am scared about this.

I either really happy or really sad, never just "normal" state. I'm depressed more than happy though. I don't understand. I have a wonderful husband at home and we don't fight - maybe an argument once in awhile but you'd think that I'd be happy right? It's like now I know something is wrong with me, which makes me depressed in itself.

My grandfather, mom, 2 sisters, and my brother all are bipolar and on meds. I was the only one who didn't go to the doc until now, until I really started getting depressed, having anxiety, and started yelling at my daughter in a way that I don't want to.

AAAAGGGGHHHH!
supermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 1:37 PM   #6
Established Member

You can always get a second opinion - maybe by a doctor that's not so quick to just prescribe a drug instead of working with you to understand why you feel this way? Drugging someone doesn't fix the problem - it just makes them to oblivious to worry about it anymore.
Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 6:27 PM   #7
Unconfirmed Account

Quote:
The elation accompanied by extreme over-activity does happen, but not as often as the depression.
this is typical of type II bipolar disorder (it's the definition of)
lydiamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 6:31 PM   #8
Unconfirmed Account

i'm glad you're getting help. be very careful about rejecting your diagnosis. suicide rate is 19% for bipolar disorder-it's scary stuff.

the biggest problem for people with bipolar disorder is staying on medications. they either want to feel the mania again or they deny that anything is wrong. be careful there.

and if you ever need to talk to an off-key southern belle...
Old 17th September 2004, 8:01 PM   #9
Established Member

These are early days, supermom. Try not to get too hung up on the label. Keep in close contact with your doctor who will revise and fine tune the meds as necessary. It must be frightening to be diagnosed with a mental illness, is there anything else that scares you? You mentioned prozac, it's a very commonly prescribed medication for a number of illnesses.

If you had a physical illness you wouldn't be wondering why your wonderful husband hadn't made you immune. This is no different.

The most important thing is that you feel well again - and that you don't take anyone else's medication!!!!
meanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 9:29 PM   #10
Established Member

Drugging someone doesn't fix the problem - it just makes them to oblivious to worry about it anymore.

That isn't true. In fact, the drugs do what your body is supposed to but doesn't if you have an ailment of the brain - they regulate your neurochemicals so that they are balanced better.

This excellent article explains how neurotransmitters work, what they do, and what happens when they go out of whack. and what meds do to fix them when they're out of whack. He also talks about what the drugs do to fix the problems.
http://www.mental-health-matters.com....php?artID=160
moimeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 9:49 PM   #11
Established Member

Re: Update: Saw the Doctor today

Quote:
Originally posted by supermom
I went to the doctor today and she told me that she is putting me on medicine for Bi-Polar Disorder and that I have it.

I am getting this medicine tomorrow and I will let you all know.

I'm a little down about it, but at least I know I guess...
I am sorry supermom to hear about the disorder. I will pray that things go better for you and your little one. I read some of your posts here. It sounds like you have lots of stress. Hope you will feel better after medication.
Anais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 9:58 PM   #12

Hang in there supermom. There are several of us on this forum in the same boat. We're here to support you. Just keep reminding yourself that it's a condition that is totally not your fault, there IS treatment for it and you WILL get better. I promise.

What you described in your post definitely sounds like bipolar. When I got over the shock of my diagnosis, it was a relief to finally know what was wrong and to be told that I would get better. And I did. Much better. And you will too.
ladyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2004, 10:54 PM   #13
Unconfirmed Account

with such a strong family history, you must know a lot about bipolar already.

have you read anything by kay jamison redfield? she's wonderful.

what is the age of onset in your family? you might do well to read the book 'a bipolar child' by Demitri Papolos M.D. and Janice Papolos (about $18 on barnes and noble online) then you can be aware of symptoms in your darling child, should they occur.

LS should start a forum for bipolar. i bet we've enough people to keep it rather lively...

( ooh, and y'all could nominate me for moderator )
Old 17th September 2004, 10:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by lydiamarie
LS should start a forum for bipolar. i bet we've enough people to keep it rather lively...

( ooh, and y'all could nominate me for moderator )
I'd vote for ya!
ladyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2004, 8:57 AM   #15
yes
Established Member

Just wanted to say that I've been diagnosed with Bipolar too - Bipolar II, that is. I also feel down a lot more often than manic. I also tend to be either all down or all happy, and rlly wish i stayed just 'normal' for longer stretches. Which med didja get prescribed? I've been on anti-depressants for a while, and while they seem to have helped, i'm contemplating trying smth different...

Btw, it is so true that Bipolar's often have trouble staying on meds. The rollercoaster of being bipolar has it's attractive points. Plus in the all happy stages, it's easy to assume "I'm cured! Screw the meds!". Make a deal with yourself to take the meds until your doc approves you quitting.

good luck!
-yes
yes is offline   Reply With Quote