Newlyweds having issues thanks to snoring?

I am new to the forum but I was hoping someone could help us out .After getting married a few months ago my wife and me never lived together before getting married (traditionalist upbringing). We have spent time in the same room together (trips etc.) but never anything long term.

Apparently, I am a heavy snorer and my wife is a light sleeper. This is something that my wife thought that she would get over in time, but apparently this is not true. She has been sleeping in the bed while I have been sleeping downstairs on the sofa.

Because we only have a one bedroom, this is something that we cannot resolve right away with separate beds. I was wondering if there is anything that you could recommend that might have worked for you? We are sleeping separately and it is not great for the marriage (yeah, imagine that). I am to the point where I am worried that I might never get this issue resolved.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • 2 weeks later...

I have friends with the same problem and they do sleep in separate beds for many years now. I think you might have to put other bed downstairs until you can get more bedrooms. sleeping well is very important.

I meant to say, that good night's sleep is more important to good marriage and good life than sleeping together in one bed.

Are you overweight or do you have allergies?

A friend sewed tennis balls onto the back of a T shirt for her husband to wear to bed. Prevents him from turning onto his back and snoring.

• Like 1

Yep, I knew my exW was a snorer (she hated it too, as it woke her up) when we were dating and she decided to get surgery before we were married. It helped but she still snored, though not as loud, so I wore ear plugs and had no issues. That had to stop when I was caregiving so I could hear my mom or the phone so sleep deprivation became a way of life during that time. Still, the ear plugs (I used the same ones I use in the shop with machinery) worked great. I use them to sleep on airplanes too.

whichwayisup
I am new to the forum but I was hoping someone could help us out .After getting married a few months ago my wife and me never lived together before getting married (traditionalist upbringing). We have spent time in the same room together (trips etc.) but never anything long term.

Apparently, I am a heavy snorer and my wife is a light sleeper. This is something that my wife thought that she would get over in time, but apparently this is not true. She has been sleeping in the bed while I have been sleeping downstairs on the sofa.

Because we only have a one bedroom, this is something that we cannot resolve right away with separate beds. I was wondering if there is anything that you could recommend that might have worked for you? We are sleeping separately and it is not great for the marriage (yeah, imagine that). I am to the point where I am worried that I might never get this issue resolved.

Get her to try ear plugs. Also, she should go to bed first, try to fall asleep before you get into bed. Keep the intimacy going no matter what! Once cuddling after is done, and you're both ready to go to sleep, it's not the end of the world if you two sleep in separate rooms once in a while.

Many couples do this and it's not an issue. It's hard to function properly if one or both of you aren't getting enough sleep, day after day after day...

Have you thought about seeing your Dr to see if there's way of fixing your snoring?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 1

snorning is my deal-breaker. I 'test' all boyfriends before it gests too far, seriously. I grew up with my dad and brother who were HEAVY snorers and it was awful. all those years the best solution(s) I found

a) sleep in another room or have them do that

b) try to fall asleep before them

c) turn on a rotating fan and aim it right at the person who snores - it drowns out the sound and something about the air circulating helps them sleep better too

d) get a white noise machine

e) earplugs or your own relaxation music you can listen to

I've tried earplugs that I bought at CVS or Rite Aid. None of them worked very well. I need to block out city sounds. Too many sirens and police helicopters, barking dogs, people partying -- especially now with warmer weather. I feel like I'm always in a daze from lack of sleep.

Try the kind that factory workers and industrial employees use. That's what I use. They're made out of flanged silicone and insert into the ear canal. Last I bought were about ten bucks a set and they come on a cord so they don't get lost. I use them for shooting too; they're that good, but I don't shoot large caliber (everything .40 and under) and shoot outdoors.

• Like 1
bubbaganoosh

Ever try those Breath Rite Strips you put on the bridge of your nose? Heard that works or have your adenoids removed.

Ever try those Breath Rite Strips you put on the bridge of your nose? Heard that works or have your adenoids removed.

someone in my family tried these. they do 'cut down' on the noise but don't eliminate it, and according to the person who wore it, it was uncomfortable to wear

devilish innocent

My husband and I had the same issue. It turned out he had sleep apnea. He now sleeps with a CPAP machine because it's healthier for him. It also has the side benefit that he doesn't snore when he's using it. So that took care of both problems with one stroke.

Loud snoring is actually one of the symptoms of sleep apnea. It may be worthwhile to ask your doctor about it, especially if you're tired during the day or if your spouse notices pauses in your breathing when you sleep.

Otherwise, the only thing that sort of helped me deal with his snoring was keeping a fan on in the bedroom and sleeping with ear plugs. I've heard taking Claritin helps some people stop snoring, but it didn't work for him.

• Like 1
bubbaganoosh
someone in my family tried these. they do 'cut down' on the noise but don't eliminate it, and according to the person who wore it, it was uncomfortable to wear

I wear them every night. I have emphysema and it's kind of to breath and they never bothered me. In fact, there have been days I forgot I had the thing still on. Different strokes for different folks i guess.