Should I just go ahead and get braces?

Aside from the cost, should I just get braces? I get this feeling that women I meet are turned off by my crooked teeth, although honestly no one has actually told me that...and my friends refuse to tell me whether my teeth look bad enough or not.

At 26, I'm just worried that once I get braces, women will be even less inclined to date me given that I'm going to look like a teenager for the next two years...

I vote for braces. I had them as an adult and it didn't ruin my dating. In addition, my bite is correct now, so I don't have to worry about tooth loss when I am older.

• Like 1

You don't have to get the traditional "metal" braces, you have lots of options. My close friend from high school got clear braces at 35.

Some might be less inclined, but if you keep your mouth clean, I personally wouldnt care and I'd say the ones that matter wont either. Go for it.

• Author
I vote for braces. I had them as an adult and it didn't ruin my dating. In addition, my bite is correct now, so I don't have to worry about tooth loss when I am older.

Okay, but you're a woman... I don't think guys are picky about a girl with braces. But how do women view it? Is it "cute" in any way? Or does it make a guy look less attractive?

You don't have to get the traditional "metal" braces, you have lots of options. My close friend from high school got clear braces at 35.

Some might be less inclined, but if you keep your mouth clean, I personally wouldnt care and I'd say the ones that matter wont either. Go for it.

Are you talking about Invisalign? The orthodontist told me that they wouldn't work too well in my case.

• Like 1

Yes.

I don't have crooked teeth...or only a little, but my wife notices teeth on everyone. No, she is not a dentist.

I have heard the same comment from other women. A smile is important, and teeth are a part of that.

As for wearing braces, I doubt it will be a turn off.

• Like 1
  • Author
I don't have crooked teeth...or only a little, but my wife notices teeth on everyone. No, she is not a dentist.

I have heard the same comment from other women. A smile is important, and teeth are a part of that.

Yeah, I've even seen some women explicitly state on their online dating profiles that you shouldn't even bother contacting them unless you have straight teeth :confused:

Okay, but you're a woman... I don't think guys are picky about a girl with braces. But how do women view it? Is it "cute" in any way? Or does it make a guy look less attractive?

Oh, guys are plenty picky.

But that's beside the point. The point is that you can get braces and, worst case, have a little awkwardness for ~2 years or you can do nothing and have a lifetime of being self-conscious about your teeth.

I got clear brackets so my braces were not as noticeable as if I'd had metal brackets (the wire was still metal). Like you, I was not a candidate for Invisalign.

• Like 1

As an adult who does not like their teeth – I would vote for braces. The stigma for braces has changed and remember that it is a small, temporary sacrifice that you make in order to get a lifelong benefit of having better-looking teeth. I would personally advise my 26-year-old self to absolutely go for it.

• Like 1

I would get them... I'm 22 and got mine and am still gonna have them for about a year. It's painful and awkward at first, but you get over it and no one really judges you about them. The only problem is that food gets stuck in your mouth. You have to bring one of those little toothbrushes with you everywhere.

Just make sure you don't have any teeth extracted (other than your wisdom teeth) if you want to get braces. It will give you a 'dished-in look' and might end up making you look worse even though your smile is better.

• Like 1

Just make sure you don't have any teeth extracted (other than your wisdom teeth) if you want to get braces. It will give you a 'dished-in look' and might end up making you look worse even though your smile is better.

This is not true. A qualified orthodontist will be able to tell whether he needs teeth extracted or not.

• Like 1

This. I currently have braces for this reason as well. I had braces as a junior high student...my wisdom teeth were never pulled as they should have been until I was in my early 20's.....I had major overcrowding and my teeth shifted and my bite was way out of alignment to the point where my jaw often bothered me and none of my teeth aligned properly. (My dad says it's because I didn't wear my retainer :rolleyes:). My husband thinks braces are cute on me, but I cannot wait to have them off. He needs braces as well, but would opt for invisalign if he qualifies once we're both in a better financial situation.

I don't like braces, but given the fact that my improper bite was causing excessive stress on my back teeth (even leading to cracking), it was medically necessary. I should be getting them off within the next 6 months and I've been struggling to afford them...but my teeth look much nicer now.

First off OP, have you seen an orthodontist or has your dentist recommended braces? Are you worried about minor cosmetic issues or are your teeth seriously crooked? I honestly do not like when men have serious crooked teeth...just not attractive, but most people have some sort of minor imperfections with their teeth and it's not a big deal.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 1

I got clear brackets so my braces were not as noticeable as if I'd had metal brackets (the wire was still metal). Like you, I was not a candidate for Invisalign.

Same here...clear brackets (also wasn't a candidate for invisalign) :( My ortho said it would correct about 80% of what I needed, but not everything.

• Author
First off OP, have you seen an orthodontist or has your dentist recommended braces? Are you worried about minor cosmetic issues or are your teeth seriously crooked? I honestly do not like when men have serious crooked teeth...just not attractive, but most people have some sort of minor imperfections with their teeth and it's not a big deal.

I'd say my teeth are pretty crooked...my front uppers are tilted towards the back of my mouth a bit and the two teeth on either side of those are rotated a bit as well. Doesn't look great IMHO, but I've learned to live with ever since my teeth grew in. They've been like that pretty much since I was probably ten or eleven.

By the way, have any of you who have had braces dealt with the rubber bands? I've been to the orthodontist already, and in telling me what they would do, they mentioned having to wear some kind of rubber bands that I would have to change out every day. Sounds like a royal PITA. Anyone have experience with this? Does it impede your normal way of talking and stuff like that?

• Like 1
I'd say my teeth are pretty crooked...my front uppers are tilted towards the back of my mouth a bit and the two teeth on either side of those are rotated a bit as well. Doesn't look great IMHO, but I've learned to live with ever since my teeth grew in. They've been like that pretty much since I was probably ten or eleven.

By the way, have any of you who have had braces dealt with the rubber bands? I've been to the orthodontist already, and in telling me what they would do, they mentioned having to wear some kind of rubber bands that I would have to change out every day. Sounds like a royal PITA. Anyone have experience with this? Does it impede your normal way of talking and stuff like that?

I hate the bands...wearing them now in fact. It is frustrating having to remember them and take them off when eating. For the first few days after an orthodontic adjustment or having to change the way you wear the bands, it is pretty uncomfortable. Right now I'm only having to wear it on one side, so it's not too bad, but wearing them on both sides does take getting used to and can be a pain. I'm assuming it will definitely be worth it once the braces are off. For me hopefully, they should be off within the next 5-6 months.

In all fairness your friends probably wouldn't give it to you straight because they dont want to hurt your feelings. It depends how crooked they are. If really bad and you feel self concious by it, go for it.