Preparing for a Job Interview What to Wear?

Top: A pencil skirt or slacks in a dark color (gray, black, navy...)

Bottom: A conservative blouse or button-up shirt in a single color or a very muted pattern.

Shoes: Loafers, flats or low heels.

• Like 1

I really hope you flip Arabella's recommendation. Please don't wear a pencil skirt as a top or a blouse as a bottom.

If you don't own the above outfit, dark slacks & a nice blouse or sweater with conservative jewelry & light make up will be fine.

Shower & do your hair.

Have a plan about how you will get to work for every shift (You don't have to share that with your prospective employer). Be enthusiastic about the position. Be polite & positive.

Good luck. If you get a job & start making your own money, it should help with some of your other issues.

• Like 3

Congrats on stepping out and job hunting!

I dunno about the pencil skirt and button-up shirt, honestly - it's a KMart job, I think that might be a bit over the top. People here usually just wear jeans and blouse/shirt for such job interviews, but it may differ depending on culture (I'm not in the USA).

I think safest is probably dark slacks and a blouse, hair and face tidy.

Oh, yes, and do shower. ;)

• Like 1

Hahaha! Oh man... you can tell I don't get much sleep nowadays with a newborn in the house.

Hopefully the OP will be able to interpret my post :p

Btw, just because it's KMart, I wouldn't wear jeans to the interview. Showing that you know how to dress appropriately can lead to being promoted into a managerial role later on. :)

I wouldn't wear a suit, but the above outfit is quite appropriate.

Eternal Sunshine

I don't think you can be over-dressed for an interview. Employers love to see that you have made an effort. Being under-dressed however = not good.

• Like 1

Oh, yes, and do shower. ;)

OP, Elswyth keeps giving you good advice to shower before important events, like a job interview or a date. A simple way to implement this would be to just shower every day. :)

• Like 1
  • Author

I did shower and I ended up wearing an outfit what I would have worn if I worked for the company hahaha.

Top: A pencil skirt or slacks in a dark color (gray, black, navy...)

Bottom: A conservative blouse or button-up shirt in a single color or a very muted pattern.

Shoes: Loafers, flats or low heels.

You....you want him/her to wear the bottoms on the top and the top on the bottom?

In all seriousness I know that was typo but I strongly believe that you can never be over dressed. Wear a dress shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes. A tie is probably not warranted in this case.

If you're a female I dunno, i don't know that names for things. Business casual wear I guess.

regine_phalange

Something with simple lines and nice fabric. Flat or low-heel shoes. I wouldn't wear any fancy jewelery. Id give myself a nice french manicure though. Light makeup, and smelling nice.

I did shower and I ended up wearing an outfit what I would have worn if I worked for the company hahaha.

Let us know how it went, hope you get it!

• 3 weeks later...
UPDATE is I DID NOT get the job.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you will get another interview soon. Keep looking.

napy666, what are your skills and experience in? I usually wear the same thing to every interview....blouse, slacks and black booted heels.

• Author

OBJECTIVE: To acquire a position by enhancing my own skills within the field being able to withstand all of the duties it proclaims.

SUMMARY: Highly qualified, skilled professional with 11 years of experience in the journalism field, with 5 of those years involved within the entertainment/music industry, now seeking this position to utilize my experience and my knowledge in other fields.

SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:

• Excellent understanding and use of social media

(Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Blogspot, and Wordpress)

• Computer skills: Microsoft Office suite, basic HTML, Internet skills

• Journalistic (including web writing to improve SEOs), editing and research skills

• Diligent, reliable, able to multitask, independent, resourceful, trustworthy, etc.

• Proficient in handling digital audio devices, editing video, photo files, transcriber, able to type 60-70WPM

Eternal Sunshine
OBJECTIVE: To acquire a position by enhancing my own skills within the field being able to withstand all of the duties it proclaims.

SUMMARY: Highly qualified, skilled professional with 11 years of experience in the journalism field, with 5 of those years involved within the entertainment/music industry, now seeking this position to utilize my experience and my knowledge in other fields.

SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES:

• Excellent understanding and use of social media

(Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Blogspot, and Wordpress)

• Computer skills: Microsoft Office suite, basic HTML, Internet skills

• Journalistic (including web writing to improve SEOs), editing and research skills

• Diligent, reliable, able to multitask, independent, resourceful, trustworthy, etc.

• Proficient in handling digital audio devices, editing video, photo files, transcriber, able to type 60-70WPM

How is that relevant to a job at KMart?

• Author
How is that relevant to a job at KMart?

I got other skills too -

TECHINCAL AND SPECIAL SKILLS:

MS Excel (Beginner)

Outlook (Beginner)

MS Word

Internet Savvy

Typing skills - 60-70WPM

Excellent spelling and grammar skills

Excellent understanding and use of social media;

(Facebook, Instagram, MySpace, Tumblr, Twitter, YouTube, Blogspot, Wordpress)

Organizational, Planning skills, Prioritizing, Great people skills, Attention to detail, problem-solving, Confidentiality, Reliability, Quick learner, Independent, Responsible, Hard worker, etc.