Help with commitment phobia!!

commitment phobic

Hi I just found out I am commitment phobic and don't know what to do. I am very loyal and am not running form relationship as it may seem, I'm just running from my freedom being taken away. It is like a feeling of claustrophobia. It doesn't just stop there, I have to work for myself because god I commit to the exact days of the week over and over. I just discovered that I can't even commit to volunteer work because they wanted me to give them a 6 month commitment. The good news is I am very loving and want that in my life, but...I can not feel boxed in controlled or lectured in any way. Then I freak out inside. How the h_ll do I cure this. :(

Maybe you could get professional help. I don't know anyone like that and I've never known of anyone in a situation like the one you're in, so I'm not much of a help about this:(. If you think going for therapy would help, I suggest you do that:).

• 1 year later...
commitment phobic

Hi I just found out I am commitment phobic and don't know what to do. I am very loyal and am not running form relationship as it may seem, I'm just running from my freedom being taken away. It is like a feeling of claustrophobia. It doesn't just stop there, I have to work for myself because god I commit to the exact days of the week over and over. I just discovered that I can't even commit to volunteer work because they wanted me to give them a 6 month commitment. The good news is I am very loving and want that in my life, but...I can not feel boxed in controlled or lectured in any way. Then I freak out inside. How the h_ll do I cure this. :(

hi, gosh,

well, i don't knwo if you are m or f... or if it even matters, but i'd say hooray for you for actually ADMITTING it... my on/off ex of 5 years now keeps jerking me back and forth.. "oh you're too close.. wait, no, don't leave" and its honestly just plain crazy the way he asks for me.. apologizes, admits, then sabotages our relationship... and of course i always get the blame so again, hooray for you admitting it.. sorry i talk to much about me.. i don't know if u have looked but i did a lot of online searching because i don't know how to handle my end of the commitment phobia - ESP now that we have a 1 year old daughter (being the recipient or what they call passive CP - what i call a victim of CP) anyway, type "commitment phobe" into google. you should find a $15 booklet... $50 books... I also saw some $60 CDs that seemed really promising -- about breaking phobias, fears & anxieties.. they were also for ppl with other fears and the testimonials seemed pretty impressive. Anyway, i believe that since you want to make an improvement you will find answers... and that is what is most important. i wish you the best of luck and again cheerS for dealing with your emotions!!!!! i'm so happy that ppl actually DO try to change - it gives me hope for this crazy man ... he's horrible but i love him.. i want to give up but i guess i'm part of an addiction or something too... btw, maybe you have advice for me on him since you seem to have his same problem? well good luck.. maybe i'll come back with links for you to check out...

God bless & good for you!

Jasmine