Panic Attacks?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post but I was hoping to find other people that suffer from panic attacks and what helped and maybe in part to feel like I am not alone in this.

I have been suffering from increasingly worse panic attacks over the last month or so.. sudden onset of dizziness, nausea, feel like I am going to pass out, hot flashes, cold flashes, tingling hands and feet... I have xanax that I take as needed and just started Busbar today. I have been to the doctor a few times and they have run some blood work and everything is normal. It is just scary to accept that something with such physical symptoms is "all in my head" so to speak and it's terrifying when it happens. I feel at times like I am letting down my friends, work and my boyfriend because I am scared of having another attack so I want to just sit home. Anyone else dealt with or dealing with this??

HokeyReligions

I did. After my second child died and again during the time leading to my husbands first critical stroke. I was met with such disparity by medical professionals and the HR director at work when I tried to find out about taking family medical leave, that I brushed aside and said it didn't happen (it did and several times) and just got a good stiff drink or three, and a vigarette and powered thru.

"They" consider it a mental illness and I dont care what anyone says, "mental illness" carries a very negative stigma. When i went to a new doctor and asked for a refill of clonizapam one nurse jumped down my throat and told me the only way to get that med is if im under psychiatric care. I said NO i wasnt. She asked the doctor, in front of me, if he thought I was dangerous. Before the doc could answer I gritted my teeth looked at her and said "I might be" as I walked out the door.

Diet and exercise can help with anxiety attacks and if they interfere with work you may need to find an "acceptable" illness to use as an excuse. Nyquil or another OTC med with alcohol helped me some. I also used to find a restroom on another floor at work and go in there for a while. Take a notebook and papers and pen, or whatever tools of your trade will work, so that when you get back you can let people think you were somewhere on work business. Maybe even stop somewhere and ask a co-worker a question.

I manage mine myself now with focus and breathing. I refuse to be labeled "mentally ill" when these 'attacks' are manifestations of overwhelming stress - something many people encounter and handle themselves.

Is she dangerous! Sheesh. Yeah, Danm straight I'm dangerous. LOL

Take care of yourself. Try breathing and exercise. Yoga may be a good place to start.

theothersully

I used to have them and cured them 100% without any drugs!! It can be done!

First, you need to remember that lots and lots of people have these and despite the way you feel when you are having one, nobody has *ever* died from a panic attack. Nobody! It is strictly an intense discomfort you feel from a release of cortisol and stuff. It is not a real sickness in any way at all.

So!!! With that in mind during your next attack, just go with it. Don't try to resist or fight it. Get used to the feeling of the attack and just ride it out. Realize it is ok to feel that type of discomfort, you don't need a doctor and you are ok on your own to handle them.

Have your boyfriend hold your hand and be supportive. Not pity you, but comfort you and laugh/joke about another panic attack. Feel the temperature of his hand compared to yours. Notice how cold and clammy yours is in comparison to his normal warm, dry, non panic attack hand and see that the panic attack causes this.

Now, just continue going with them, realizing they are just "stupid panic attacks" and guess what?? They will start to get shorter, less severe and eventually will go away completely.

If you need any more help or details on this, let me know. Feel free to pm. I love helping people get rid of panic attacks. :)

• Like 5

100% in agreement with theothersully. Same for me. Before I started having them I never really understood them or the predicament of the people that experienced them. It sucked big time! My world grew into "safe zones" and what I could do and where I could go shrunk considerably. I went to group therapy and also saw a psychologist, who wanted to put me on Lexapro. I said no thanks to the drugs and continued to fight it by doing exactly what the poster mentions above. Faced it head-on. Continued the group therapy and talking about it. Worked out. Focused on things in life that brought me joy. My wife and family were very supportive and understanding. It took time, but I beat it.

• Author

My biggest fear that its not just a panic attack and that it is something more. How did you get past that fear?

You have had EKG's during these episodes? Just to rule out heart issues

Are your attacks triggered or caused by something ?

I go through periods (every now and then) of anxiety over high stressful situations. In most cases they are real causes - bad stuff, but my reaction is near to debilitating- I don't cope well once the real stress hits a certain level. Nausea and fear hit too high for me.

I tired ativan, but I found I had issues coming off it and needed it more and more. I have tried buspar, and am on it now due to work, but while a safe drug it has mixed results for me - mainly leaving me feeling for a short period, like I just had a large glass of wine and spun around in office chair.

I am looking back into forms or mediation and yoga which have helped. I just read something about "tapping" and will be taking a look.

• Author

I haven't had an EKG during one of these episodes, I did go.to the ER this morning but by the time they were able to see me it had pretty much passed. They did an EKG and a chest xray and both were normal. I do have a heart issue that was diagnosed several years ago where the upper part of my heart beats early so I am nervous to write it off as not being heart related too early.

The attacks do not seem to be triggered by anything. The last two years for me were very,very stressful... divorce, family stopped talking to me, dated an abusive pathological liar for for months who left me $20,000+ in debt, and a cross country move.to where I didn't know anyone... I'm September I moved back to the town I grew up in, bought a house, enjoy my.jib and have the most amazing sweet boyfriend. This is the best my life has even been so it is confusing to be if these are panic attacks why now?? Six months ago I would have understood... now not so much.

The attacks happen randomly, driving.home, at work, waking up in the middle of the night with them.

It starts with dizzy, light headed feeling. Then.usually a burning sensation starting in either my head or chest that spreads.throughout my body. Nausea. Feel like I can't take a deep breath. Hot flash. Then cold flash. Then hot.flash. Then usually a bout.of diarrhea (which I have had persistently for about a year)... is this similar to what everyone else experiences?

• Author

I forgot to mention I've had two episodes lie this in the past couple years. Now it is happening multiple times a day. Is it.normal for such a sudden onset with.no real trigger?

Yup! I'll raise my hand here! Mine were do to Lyme disease come to find out. It was horrible. In my case, I had to treat the bacteria and it was no joy ride at all. I feel for anyone suffering from them. It's like you become frozen in this state of panic and fear. But, the good news is, once the issue is identified it's manageable. Good luck.

Mea :)

• Author

Thanks everyone for your support and feedback. I am going to the doctor, chiropractor and to see a therapist today. I.want to get this under control ASAP so I am trying to attack it from every possible angle. It has really only been bad for the last few weeks and I hope to get it under control as soon as possible. Wish me luck!

• Like 1
I used to have them and cured them 100% without any drugs!! It can be done!

First, you need to remember that lots and lots of people have these and despite the way you feel when you are having one, nobody has *ever* died from a panic attack. Nobody! It is strictly an intense discomfort you feel from a release of cortisol and stuff. It is not a real sickness in any way at all.

So!!! With that in mind during your next attack, just go with it. Don't try to resist or fight it. Get used to the feeling of the attack and just ride it out. Realize it is ok to feel that type of discomfort, you don't need a doctor and you are ok on your own to handle them.

Have your boyfriend hold your hand and be supportive. Not pity you, but comfort you and laugh/joke about another panic attack. Feel the temperature of his hand compared to yours. Notice how cold and clammy yours is in comparison to his normal warm, dry, non panic attack hand and see that the panic attack causes this.

Now, just continue going with them, realizing they are just "stupid panic attacks" and guess what?? They will start to get shorter, less severe and eventually will go away completely.

If you need any more help or details on this, let me know. Feel free to pm. I love helping people get rid of panic attacks. :)

This is all excellent advice!

I suffered with them really badly for a while, I did pretty much everything theothersully is saying on my own and it worked. I haven't had a panic attack for 14 months, I've felt the beginnings of them but now I can control them, not the other way around.

theothersully
My biggest fear that its not just a panic attack and that it is something more. How did you get past that fear?

That's everyone's biggest fear. You think you are dying. I used to think heart attack, then that i ate something poison. Either way, i was definitely going to die! lol

Nobody has ever died from one.

Every symptom you are describing is one I also had with my panic attacks.

Basically, you have to stop fearing them and they go away once you stop being afraid of them.

And.... stop going to the dr's. it may sound a little heartless, but you are wasting the emergency room for people that actually need it. It may feel like you need it, but you don't. Just sit in your car, at home, etc.... and ride it out. Get used to it. Stop fearing it. Only then does it go away.

I'm about 4 or 5 years panic attack free.

I felt one creeping in when my ex wife of 10 years bailed on me without notice, but I settled it down before it became a full one. If that stress didn't cause one, nothing can.

Edited by theothersully
theothersully
I forgot to mention I've had two episodes lie this in the past couple years. Now it is happening multiple times a day. Is it.normal for such a sudden onset with.no real trigger?

Quite normal. I had them multiple times a day and several days a week.

Change your thinking so you feel they are harmless, stupid and annoying, while also keeping a sense of humor about them.... especially when they are happening.

Then they get smaller and smaller and stop.

theothersully
Thanks everyone for your support and feedback. I am going to the doctor, chiropractor and to see a therapist today. I.want to get this under control ASAP so I am trying to attack it from every possible angle. It has really only been bad for the last few weeks and I hope to get it under control as soon as possible. Wish me luck!

Stop that!

You are wasting medical resources and driving up everyone's health care costs for a mental health issue.

You are going about this all wrong. Re read my post and do it. That is how you get rid of them. Your "attack it from all angles" personality (and my perfectionist personality) are exactly why you are having them.

You need to learn that you are not on control of everything in life. Just let it go.

That will cure them.

• Author

I don't think it's fair of you to accuse someone of wasting medical resources and driving up healthcare costs because they are struggling. That's like telling someone with anorexia to stop going to the doctor and just eat. Or telling someone with chest pain not to go to the ER because its probably acid reflux.

I am trying to get this under control and appreciate the advice in doing so but it is not helpful to insult me during a difficult time.

• 1 month later...

Plenty of natural supplements you can take. Read the reviews by users even for the ones labeled "insufficient evidence." Most people are deficient in most things these days. Taking drugs may treat the symptom but not the underlying problem and they also create more health problems for which you will need other pharmaceuticals. This is why Big Pharma is so profitable.

Edited by FitChick

This is very similar to how I learnt to override claustrophobia, which is a similar kind of thing.

It doesn't go away, but I don't think that matters as long as you know how to override it.

I always found when I feel it rising is really helps to just...dunno how to put this into words...come out of the world and focus on my body, on the ground pressing into my knees, on my hand gripping a rock or a rail or something, on what I can smell or see...it helps me, helps me clear my head and act logically.