Yep, I do it all the time to help calm my anxiety or overthinking.

It really helps break my cycle of bad thoughts.

One trick I also use when I am running in order to stop my cycle of thoughts is to count five different objects I see on the trail, then four, then three, etc until I get down to one item. Then I start over if I start drifting back to anxious thoughts.

Since anxiety is all about the "what ifs" in the future, I find this trick really helps stop that and re-engages you back to the real world.

• Like 4
  • Author

I've had a day off today and I've really practiced just being mindful of myself today. So enjoying my massage, enjoying just sitting quietly with the cat, being mindful/present about where I am and what I'm doing.

Funny I feel much calmer and relaxed. It's nice.

Have bought an amazon kindle book to read in the bath in a bit of mindfulness to try and get the hang of it more.

• Like 1

Mindfulness can be a great meditation technique of observing your thoughts and feelings from a distance. Do not judge them, just be with them. This helps to keep you in the moment, being present for your life whether it be the drive to and from work or a mindless meeting where you feel like snoozing. Staying in the moment, being mindful helps you to see things clearer. Buddhism has a spiritual practice on this that you could look up if you want some techniques on how to do it.

G

• Like 2
  • Author

Been practising. It's hard but I do feel calmer & I donno for the first time actually present in my own life.

Spent the last x amount of years doing some amazing things but never truly being "there" when they happened.

Any tips?

Been practising. It's hard but I do feel calmer & I donno for the first time actually present in my own life.

Spent the last x amount of years doing some amazing things but never truly being "there" when they happened.

Any tips?

You have made steps thus indicating you have created awareness. That is a solid foundation towards mindfulness. Thoughts of the self should be scrutinized, whether they are positive or negative. Of course, positive thinking is better than negative thinking, but the mere awareness of how your thoughts may be false or counter productive, puts you in a calmer position as you become the observer of those thoughts.

I deal with my thoughts by:

Meditating

Physical activities

Not seeing my thoughts as false or true, but the effect they have on me (observing)

I am not suggesting to become a realist, but as some would say, removing your identity or ego from those thoughts. It is then easier to get over mistakes and regrets, and even worry. It may even become humorous as you take yourself a lot less seriously. Then, you will be more focused on solutions rather than problems.

• Like 1
  • Author
You have made steps thus indicating you have created awareness. That is a solid foundation towards mindfulness. Thoughts of the self should be scrutinized, whether they are positive or negative. Of course, positive thinking is better than negative thinking, but the mere awareness of how your thoughts may be false or counter productive, puts you in a calmer position as you become the observer of those thoughts.

I deal with my thoughts by:

Meditating

Physical activities

Not seeing my thoughts as false or true, but the effect they have on me (observing)

I am not suggesting to become a realist, but as some would say, removing your identity or ego from those thoughts. It is then easier to get over mistakes and regrets, and even worry. It may even become humorous as you take yourself a lot less seriously. Then, you will be more focused on solutions rather than problems.

I'm trying, it's a little confusing trying to get to grips with this new technique though.

Although I do feel more contented

As a long-term Buddhist, I practice Mindfulness every day.

Note emphasis on word 'practice'.

You'll not be surprised to know it's still work in progress..... :D

Interesting question. I always strive to be mindful and have found that I need to keep working on it. What has helped me most is finding my center and when my life gets out of whack I stop and rejuvienate by going back to my center. After all, going away from your center is what throws everything out of whack in the first place. :)

Another thing that helps me is walking the middle line (metaphorically speaking) and respecting other peoples journies without casting judgement. If someone is casting out negative energy I respectfully detach and think positive thoughts that they will come to peace with their pain eventually. I don't feel guilty about setting boundaries with people who are lashing out in pain and are dealing with it by manipulating and/or inappropriately projecting it onto others. Whether they are doing it conscious or not, I know it's okay to chose to keep them at a distance and protect myself until when and if they are honest and acknowledge their pain and seek better ways to cope.

I went off track a little bit. Sorry! The second paragraph goes hand-in-hand with being centered though. :)

• Like 2

A very good teacher of Mindfulness is the Vietnamese Monk, Thich Naht Hahn.

Look up his books, "Peace is Every Step" and perhaps more pertinently, "Present Moment, Wonderful Moment" which gives many methods of remaining Mindful.

Forget the Buddhist aspect for a moment - these books don't ever shove that down your throat. But they're very informative and educational. TNH has a great deal of experience and insight.

• Author

I went for a walk in the park behind where I live earlier, the sun was shining it was fairly cold though and towards the end of my walk I just stood for a few minutes in the sun, closed my eyes and just listened to the birds tweeting, enjoying the warmth on my face and cleared my mind of everything.

Am I on the right track to mindfulness?

I've always had such a frantic mind, so even this control of getting a peaceful mind for a minute or two is a big step for me. Lovely too :-)

• Like 1

best thing that happened to me besides sex. (seriously)

I started taking some classes and it made the worlds' difference. it does take regular practice though.

A very good teacher of Mindfulness is the Vietnamese Monk, Thich Naht Hahn.

Look up his books, "Peace is Every Step" and perhaps more pertinently, "Present Moment, Wonderful Moment" which gives many methods of remaining Mindful.

Forget the Buddhist aspect for a moment - these books don't ever shove that down your throat. But they're very informative and educational. TNH has a great deal of experience and insight.

Thanks for the book advice. One of Thich Naht Hahns books, The miracle of mindfulness, has some useful and basic breathing techniques to practice anywhere.

• Like 1

This may be something those of you practicing mindfulness may like to try or become aware one of lifes simple pleasures of drinking a cup of tea, (or any other beverage of your choice)...and to practice, where

"your mind will take hold of mind in a direct and wonderous way which no longer differentiates between subject and object. Drinking a cup of tea, the seeming distinction between the one who drinks and the tea being drunk evaporates. Drinking a cup of tea becomes a direct and wondrous experience in which the distinction between subject and object no longer exists" - Thick Nhat Hanh - Miracle of Mindfulness

thought it was very surreal, (kinda cool) to look at it this way, so simple..and yet, so many times you've probably grabed something to eat or drink, gulped it down mindlessly like some robot on auto-pilot and moved on with your day. How many times has this happened? something so simple, as becoming aware of the cup in your hands, lifting the tea filled cup, slowly tilting the cup, pressed gently accross your lips as the cleansing tea fills your mouth, your palette and tastebuds with a slight bitternesss and very mild tartness and slowly flows down where the "distinction between the tea and the person no longer exist" and in essence, the tea becomes part of you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Still trying to get the hang of it however since my wake up and not Constantine living outside my mind, time seems to go a lot slower, I am much calmer and when I seem to be able to meditate anywhere albeit briefly. I was on a packed tram the other day luckily got a seat, I put my music on & then closed my eyes & cleared my mind.

I guess I just need to try to build meditation properly into my evenings & spend more time on it rather than brief periods.

I've been to another sound bath a week ago and have one next week, they are an hour & I seem to be able to clear my mind whereas previously in anything like that my body was relaxed but my mind was still in overdrive.

This is great really really is for me. Never thought I'd be less of a worrier! :-)

Nice, ES.... I see in the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" bit, that TNH has a couple of books, one of which I mentioned.

All good stuff....

:)

• Like 1

I read 'The Power Of Now'. It's a good start. I am a person who thinks about the "what if's". This book had helped me.

• Like 1