Volunteering at a Soup Kitchen

I just wanted to remind anyone who likes to help out at Thanksgiving that now is when they really could use some help.

They generally get lots of volunteers for the actual holiday but they really need help prior to that day to make the holiday successful.

Thanks for reading. :)

• Like 5

I may do this. Since I have no one to spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with, I'm thinking of doing this or taking a random self-indulging trip.

• Like 1

My version of this is offering any able bodied person who happens by one of my rentals and who is asking for money or diving in my dumpster an honest hour's wage for an honest hour's work. The next door neighbor's brother, who is unemployed, has already taken me up on that and now has the lawn-mowing contract.

I did my volunteering, like at our local rescue mission, years long ago when I was young and single and alone during the holidays. These days, I prefer to give people a hand-up and am happy to teach any who are interested some of my own skillset to better themselves. It's up to them. The soup kitchen is still open to provide them that warm meal if they so choose.

• Like 3

I am going to see if I can. I work from 10am to 7pm Mon to Friday. If I don't quit by then, why does a company need to be open on holidays to give f-ing tech support. Anyway I digress. Since I have to work and my family will be on vacation and all my fam that live out here will be in other states. I will see if my local soup kitchen needs help cleaning up later that night. Ok this is really ****ing depressing that I can't spend the holidays with my family. I use to run the volunteering club at my H.s and spent about 3 years at the YMCA. I rather volunteer on a holiday than work truthfully. However they are tons of events going on for Sandy relief in my area so I will find something to do. I think my fam is feeding the homeless this Saturday - we try to do it monthly.

• Like 1
  • Author

There is an older man at the local rescue mission that I volunteer at.

With the costs of food rising, he can only afford to either put a roof over his head or a meal on his table. He chose not to live there but goes there daily for a meal.

He works there some days too.

I tried this once. Some of the people were grateful, some acted like we owed them this meal, some were pretty heavy and well fed. Many were dirty. I wore gloves, a mouth mask, kept using hand wipes, and spray Lysol often.

The do gooders asked me to leave, claimed I was offensive to the "patrons".

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers
Only if I can prepare and serve my favorite dish called "a job application form"

I'm sure that they will be happy to help you with the proper wording and spelling so that when you turn it over to your potential future employer you won't be as embarrassed.