Is having no ambition a Bad thing?

Im 26 years old and i have my bachelors degree however i am working with mentally ill folks making 13 bucks an hour i am satisfied with how much money i am making and i have no feeling that i need to climb up the ladder..Society would say i have no ambition and don't want to better myself but i feel that i don't want to take on more responsibilities and prefer to live a simple life..I dont want to own a house or have any kids..I am not an adventurous person, not a risk taker and i wonder why this maybe part of the reason my gf left me..

Im 26 years old and i have my bachelors degree however i am working with mentally ill folks making 13 bucks an hour i am satisfied with how much money i am making and i have no feeling that i need to climb up the ladder..Society would say i have no ambition and don't want to better myself but i feel that i don't want to take on more responsibilities and prefer to live a simple life..I dont want to own a house or have any kids..I am not an adventurous person, not a risk taker and i wonder why this maybe part of the reason my gf left me..

Yes, having no ambition is a bad thing if you are trying to find someone. I admire your area of work, though. Perhaps there are women who are less interested in ambition and more interested in your heart and area of work, if you are doing it because you love it and feel that what you do is very important....it is.

• Like 1
TheBigQuestion

Generally speaking, not having ambition is a bad thing if you want a girlfriend. Women, for better or for worse, valid reasons or not, tend to seek out men who are ambitious. Ambition is erroneously analogized to money. Many women are really after guys with money, but I would say what attracts a large number of them is simply ambition itself.

I'll use a cliche example. A lot of women in their 20s find a medical student to be the type of guy they'd like to date. Chances are they aren't dating this guy for his money, because (1) med students don't really make any money and (2) they'd have to stick around for 10+ years to really enjoy the fruits of his labor. Med students have enormous debts, and the money they make in residency is frequently outshined by popular bartenders and waiters. What these women are really into is a sense of dedication to a cause, a purpose in life. From what I can tell, your ambition is helping those with psychiatric illnesses. Just because your ambition does not lead to significant income does not render you ambition-less, for lack of a better term.

With that said, you do have to understand that a lot of women will rule you out as a dating prospect because of your thoroughly pedestrian income level. At some point, you'll have to ask yourself the following question: "What's more important to me? Helping mentally ill people, or getting the attention of as many chicks as possible?"

MuscleCarFan

Having no ambition is a bad thing in my opinion. You'll never go anywhere in life if you don't strive to be more than what you are now. Who wants to live paycheck to paycheck their entire life? Not me!

I dont want to own a house or have any kids..I am not an adventurous person, not a risk taker and i wonder why this maybe part of the reason my gf left me..

If you don't want a house and don't want kids, it's fair enough to be unambitious but it will affect your relationship with certain women. It will work for you better if you pick women with the same mindset as yours, you will have to make clear from the start that you are not interested in having children.

• Like 2

As cliché as this sounds, do what will make you happy and the rest will follow. You cannot dictate what others think and only you can define your life purpose that informs your ambitions. The fact that you are happy in a very challenging job dealing with a population that few people would have the tolerance and patience for indicates that you have found your avocation. You are probably in a better position then a lot of other people if you have no student loan or consumer debt.

You are still young and your feelings and goals may change. Still, learn to accept that your ambitions are simply different.

• Like 3

I would not define you that way. You sound content to me. You have an honorable job. Giving of yourself is how I see it. Stay true to who you are and a like minded person will come your way.

Our lives should never be defined by what others think or feel. Be proud of who you are!

• Like 2

While it's great you are happy with the simple things in life, yes it could be a difficult thing when you're trying to meet someone. I personally wouldn't date someone who didn't want to make the most of their life, but that's because I am very ambitious (I want to travel all over the world, own a home, have kids someday etc). I want to have a great career, stable income (not rich, but comfortable). If you can make ends meet with $13 an hour, that's great. I make $12 and due to the high cost of living in my area, it's far from enough to even afford a one bedroom apartment, much less anything else. Where I live it is very difficult to survive on one income and it can be difficult and taxing on that one person who is working hard to provide for both of you. More stress is placed on their shoulders as the sole income provider. A comfortable living is at least $60-$80k a year here in this area, for one person. If you want to own a home here, you will need at least two incomes with those amounts. This means you have to have a 4 year degree at minimum (or go into a trade that pays decently) or preferably a masters. My brother is with someone who has no ambition. Just wants to have kids and work a few minimum wage jobs at a time. That's great for her, but my brother needs to realize that she may not change and if he wants more from her than that, he needs to move on.

Edited by pink_sugar

Dating aside, aren't there things you want to do in your life, for you? Don't you want to be able to afford to travel? Afford to retire? Afford to save in case of emergency? Afford crazy dinners at expensive restaurants?

I think it is admirable that you love your job, and I think it is fine to be content where you are for now, but you should also have your future in the back of your mind.

Are there any ways to make more money in the same or similar field, so you can hold on to the satisfaction you get from your job?

• Like 1