How do you train yourself to think on your feet

I really want to be able to think on my feet. I don't know if there are any books of that sort. If someone can point me out in the right direction.

I am really more of a dreamer kind of person. My mind is everywhere but I find myself in situations where I don't know how to outsmart the other person since my head is not in one place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

There's nothing like doing rather than reading: try 3D first-person shooter video games - you can train your reflexes and you can also train your spatial awareness. From memory, there have been some recent studies demonstrating a significant improvement after just a short period of gaming.

You might also want to try joining a local Toastmasters club to practise your public speaking and answering questions from an audience.

Half an hour's meditation and yoga per day might also help you to focus and clear your mind. Search YouTube and Google for videos.

• Like 2
Stay in the moment.

Exactly.

Try a 10 day silent meditation retreat.

Changes peoples lives.

• Like 1
  • Author
There's nothing like doing rather than reading: try 3D first-person shooter video games - you can train your reflexes and you can also train your spatial awareness. From memory, there have been some recent studies demonstrating a significant improvement after just a short period of gaming.

You might also want to try joining a local Toastmasters club to practise your public speaking and answering questions from an audience.

Half an hour's meditation and yoga per day might also help you to focus and clear your mind. Search YouTube and Google for videos.

Yes I heard first person shooter games make you quick on your feet. And I really need to join these groups and get my social skills working.

Thanks for the help

• Author
Exactly.

Changes peoples lives.

10 day silent meditation retreat? It definitely would change a persons life.

Would try it sometime.

Thank you

• Author
You must have had an horrible time writing this post! AHH my mind is everywhere! Its funny that after you realize you just need to aware of yourself thats when you'll start outsmarting people. What if you knew how to outsmart people but you simply did not? I mean what would does that say about you?

Yes living in the moment it is I guess. The problem is I know what the problem is. Just can't figure out the solution myself.

Got some help here. Will try these things.

And you asked a very difficult question my friend. LOL

Forever Learning

I like the suggestion for meditation, I don't think you have to do a 10 day retreat to reap benefits though. Most of us don't have the time or money, although it sounds awesome. Here's another meditation website to look into:

www.Maum.org

I like the Toastmasters idea alot! I have been meaning to try that myself, I think it would benefit me. I have never been quick on my feet either. Not sure I ever really will be, but I would like to be less shy in social situations and with public speaking. Cheers love! :)

Have you seen this study about introverts and extraverts?

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/53/4/718/

Abstract:

In a study of the transactional impact of personality, 52 women were grouped in pairs to get acquainted in two conversations, one with an introvert and one with an extravert. The women were selected from their scores on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and were asked to provide accounts of their conversations as they listened to playbacks of their interactions. The conversations were analyzed by a system informed by interactants' accounts. The most distinctive conversational styles occurred in dispositionally matched dyads, with more moderate patterns in mixed dyads: Introverts with introverts engaged in focused problem talk, whereas extraverts with extraverts showed a wider range of topics and more claims of common ground. A qualitative analysis of the accounts suggested that differing assumptions and strategies generated the styles. The findings are discussed in terms of the power of dispositions to create situations—an evocativeness referred to by Murray (1938) as "press"—and for transactional conceptions of introversion and extraversion.

Exactly.

Changes peoples lives.

I'd never make it. I know someone who did this last year, though, and she loved it.

I have several meditation and self-hypnosis cd's. I don't use them as often as I should - I bought another one last weekend, and am trying to get back into the habit. One of my favourites is by Brian Weiss, and I was recently reminded of Hayhouse radio - a few of their hosts sometimes offer a meditation, from what I remember. I haven't listened to them for years.

• Like 1