How unhealthy is it to eat a bowl of ice cream nearly every night?

Ross MwcFan

I've started to eat porridge, nuts and yogurt regulary, but will eating a bowl of ice cream nearly every night cancel out a lot of the health benefits that I will get from porridge, nuts and yogurt?

As long as you don't go over your calorie limit and get fat. Are you eating fruits, veg, fish, poultry, eggs?

• Like 2
Try yogurt ice cream, then you kill two birds with one stone. :p

I was going to suggest frozen yogurt! It's at least healthier than regular ice cream I think. Just read the labels Ross, I think it can all vary by a lot.

• Like 3

I don't think there's any such thing as "cancelling out" benefits from other foods. Maybe only in the sense that "I ate these healthy low calorie foods, does eating this high calorie food cancel that out", in which case, yes it does if you're just looking at calories. But eating the good foods still provides nutrients and eating something like ice cream doesn't mean you've negated all of those effects. If you are simply looking at it from a weight loss perspective then yes eating something like ice cream is slowing down your progress.

It also depends on your definition of a bowl of ice cream. You can fit multiple scoops in a regular cereal bowl. Buy yourself some of those little dishes that only hold a scoop or two if you want to make sure you're eating it in moderation.

• Like 2
Disenchantedly Yours
I've started to eat porridge, nuts and yogurt regulary, but will eating a bowl of ice cream nearly every night cancel out a lot of the health benefits that I will get from porridge, nuts and yogurt?

Ross, it really depends on your body personally. Meaning, some people can eat ice cream every night and be fine. Other people work out regularly and eat right then drop dead of a heart attack.THere are certainly things you can do to take care of yourself and should, but a bowl of ice cream (with portional control), might not be so bad.

Know your family history. Is there a history of heart diease with the men in your family? High blood pressure? High cholesterol? Get your yearly check up to maintain these things.

And there is always Breyers half fat ice cream. I love ice cream myself and more times then not, I get the Breyers half fat stuff.

Breyers

I wouldn't recommend eating so much ice cream right before bed time. Your metabolism slows down, and since you're not burning any energy after eating it guess where all those calories go? Straight into thunder thighs!

If you're going to eat that ****, do it after a big workout when you're on a calorie defecit and your metabolism is at its highest. I hike up a steep mountain every week and after that is the best time to eat fatty foods.

Yeah, the main concern is the NIGHT part, and not so much the ice cream part.

I think that's a myth. I eat ice cream nearly every night, and I've never been fat.

Portions are important. Use a small cup as a bowl.

Just exercise to compensate. I have a favorite soft serve place near me and I always makes sure to walk there and back instead of driving so I make up for it.

Ice cream does not negate the health value of other foods you ate that day. I wish people would really study some nutrition, it would be such a benefit for you. If you really want to learn what you should or should not do, invest an evening of reading, for a week or two, of a good nutrition book and have a foundation for the rest of your life. I recommend The Zone Diet.

• Like 1

I agree, I don't think you can "cancel out benefits" of any food, but you can crash your calorie goal if you eat too much junk food each night. I think a small scoop or two is fine as a small dessert. Moderation is key. As long as you are eating otherwise healthy, there's nothing wrong with a small low-calorie dessert each night.

Eternal Sunshine

I love sweets and I have some every day. I am pretty aware of the caloric content though so I just cardio them out.

I finish my day with a tub of Hagen-daz every day (MAN IS IT TASTY) and I am not fat, nor am I unhealthy. Be aware of your caloric limit, eat wholesome foods, fruit, veg you know the drill (for internal well-being) and finish off your day with some guilt free ice-cream.