What would you do if...

eleanorhurting

I will admit this thread is greys anatomy inspired

you were suddenly handed a huge amount of money? unexpectedly. Like Izzy and her 8 million dollar check (my sister already spoiled it for me and told me what she would do with it).

I would:

Buy a house for my parents and one for each of my sisters and finally one for me. So there goes 1.5

I would take my family and all my friends on a lavish vacation/shopping spree

I would pay off my student loans and my sisters' student loan.

I would pay for my sister's wedding.

I think I would take the rest and split it in half. Half I would give to someone so they can invest it or buy a stock or whatever it is money people do and the other half I would give to a charity and to AIDS research.

OH and last i would fix all the scratches on y car. 2011 was a bad year on the road for me. my dad was not happy since technically it is his car not mine.

Edited by eleanorhurting
ThaWholigan

I agree :D

If I were handed money I would invest in property/land/stock, house my family, develop a socio-economic and political infrastructure to help people in 3rd World countries as well as those who are poor in 1st World - invest in research, science and technology, build a perfect studio with every instrument in the world and create a multimedia production company (with which I will make a TV network with channels; produce original TV Shows, movies, cartoons etc) and.........well, create a thinktank and then chill.

:D

Ross MwcFan

Move near to the beach.

Have myself a small collection of cars in my garage.

Pay a woman to be my girlfriend.

Practical use:

Pay off my student loans in full.

Wish-List:

Go visit all of my friends who live abroad

Get a masters in percussion from a music conservatory, and do an apprenticeship with my favorite percussionists like Evelyn Glennie, Steve Reich, Glen Kotche and form my own contemporary percussion group.

• Like 2

unwillingly donate about half to the IRS; pay off debts; pay off the kids' (nieces/nephews) debts, or at least the notes on their homes; buy property in the Texas Hill Country where my buddies from college and set up the "commune" my college newspaper buddies and I have always joked about; set up a scholarship at my alma mater in my parents' names, same with a seminarian burse in the diocese back home; invest the rest so I could live off the proceeds. And when I die, I'd put the community property in trust so that my buds could live there expense free until the last one died off, and then those proceeds would be added to the divested monies that were give to charitable organizations.

• Like 3

50% will go to taxes so of the other half remaining ...

10% goes to charity, or gifts.

of the 90% left...

split 4 ways into 'permanent portfolio' inspired by harry browne.

25% in gold

25% in cash/MMA/treasury notes

25% in stocks (S&P, or russell index)

25% in treasury bonds

Check up on it and adjust every year. Otherwise, you basically cannot loose with that. In the amount is HUGE, I would setup an offshore trust.

Anything else I want will have to come from my job. Why? because if I don't work, I'm not helping someone or contributing.

• Author
eleanorhurting
50% will go to taxes so of the other half remaining ...

10% goes to charity, or gifts.

of the 90% left...

split 4 ways into 'permanent portfolio' inspired by harry browne.

25% in gold

25% in cash/MMA/treasury notes

25% in stocks (S&P, or russell index)

25% in treasury bonds

Check up on it and adjust every year. Otherwise, you basically cannot loose with that. In the amount is HUGE, I would setup an offshore trust.

Anything else I want will have to come from my job. Why? because if I don't work, I'm not helping someone or contributing.

Yeah i definitely would not quit school either. I would want to finish my MD and residency even if I ended up not working as much as I probably would have if i didn't have the money.

I like the idea of a scholarship. The Eleanor Hurting scholarship. I would like to help a young girl who wanted to go to medical school but did not qualify for any help from the government so that she would not have to have to borrow from Auntie Sallie Mae.

• Like 1
StrangeBehaviors

Not to gain favorable opinions or anything, but I would give it all to Make a Wish and St. Judes.

I can be the meanest S.O.B you've encountered and cut you like a razor at times.

But these lil'uns didn't sign up for what they have to face.

• Like 1
bentnotbroken

1. Pay tithes
  2. Pay off debt
  3. Retire my mom.
  4. Take my entire family (a hell of a lot of us) on a cruise.
  5. Open a shelter for homeless teens with all levels of help.
  6. Relax

• Like 1

Hmm, mostly what has been said; house, help out some family & friends (possibly more homes), invest like 20-30% of it, a nice chunk to charity and fundraisers for cure to diseases as well.

Go to school for photography, open a studio. Travel everywhere and takes pictures!

Pay off my student debt.

Quit my job.

Do something charitable. Not sure what.

Buy a plane ticket to somewhere and not come back for a while.

One thing I've always wanted is a big house, that is paid off, and there for anyone to use if they really need it (with permission, of course).

I would buy a house for my parents, and give them enough for expenses, travelling, etc. Hell, maybe I should give all of it to them, for putting up with me for so long.

I would contribute to the Pennies for Peace campaign, and another organization: Namaste Nepal: Helping Himalayan Children - Adventures in Nepal~ Literacy, Libraries, & Love

We strive to make the world a better place by improving educational opportunities and literacy for children and adults in Nepal. We believe education, literacy, and building authentic relationships based on mutuality will improve the quality of life for all individuals and help prevent boys and girls from being sold into Child Labor and Human Trafficking. Together we really can make a difference, if we try.

I know Heather from 43T - one of the kindest women I've ever met. I'm sure the money could be used in so many ways over here, as well.

• Like 1

Oh, and I would put some away for vet bills. To make sure that there would be no having to put it off, and hopefully catch certain things earlier and treat them successfully.

:laugh:

I'd stock up on coconut oil. I've started using it again after my shower, as a moisturizer, and my skin feels really good. What with this and falling into the lavender, I'm smelling pretty good, too.

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

8 mil:

- I would give 2m to my parents

- 1m to my brother

- 1m to my boss's family

- 1m to charity

- 1.5m to buy a kick ass house

- 100K - go on a mad shopping spree

- invest the rest

Citizen Erased
I'd probably buy a plane ticket to Puerto Rico. The rest I'd give away.

I take donations....

I'd set up my grandmother so she never has to worry about money or being taken care of. Love her to bits. :love:

Travel everywhere and anywhere with my husband, buy a house in the US and another in Sydney do we can be near both our families.

Probably be broke from adopting all the abused puppies in the world so I'd definitely have to add a spectacular University degree/s

• Like 1

Greed makes me sick. I've made over a million in my career already, and have already given a ton of that to family, friends, girlfriend, etc. Time for me to build another business, I've blown thru all of my savings unfortunately, I could use a couple million or more for the next new project. Then I'd have a lot more than the original sum. The charities that affect me most are anything with children, animals, single mom (especially safe houses and/or shelters for abused), and funding for education. Sure I'd have a nice house, probably on the water, and a few fun cars, but if I don't do something to make this world a better place, I was just another contributor to the overpopulation problem of this planet, this is how I look at it.