What hobby would you take up from home

So here's the story: I don't spend much time out of my house, so am looking for something I can do to improve myself while here.

I know I should get out and try to work on my social skills and confidence etc but that's a process of tiny baby steps.

So I'm left with lots of time in my house.

So given I have plenty of time here what would you suggest I get into/spend my time doing to help improve my life in the outside world.

Everything I'm interested in (watching sports and movies mainly) Aren't really great for personal growth. I can't really participate in sports so that's out.

I was going to try to learn some computer programs but they're not exactly going to help my social life.

Reading is another option but again, can't really transfer that to the outside world.

Suppose I'm looking for something I can do here at home but then transfer that interest to a more social setting.

Any ideas would be great!

todreaminblue
So here's the story: I don't spend much time out of my house, so am looking for something I can do to improve myself while here.

I know I should get out and try to work on my social skills and confidence etc but that's a process of tiny baby steps.

So I'm left with lots of time in my house.

So given I have plenty of time here what would you suggest I get into/spend my time doing to help improve my life in the outside world.

Everything I'm interested in (watching sports and movies mainly) Aren't really great for personal growth. I can't really participate in sports so that's out.

I was going to try to learn some computer programs but they're not exactly going to help my social life.

Reading is another option but again, can't really transfer that to the outside world.

Suppose I'm looking for something I can do here at home but then transfer that interest to a more social setting.

Any ideas would be great!

I often lose interest in hobbies, hobbies to me are personal therapy......i enjoy doing many things i used to have a hobby every sunday i would go to church.....there is peace there personal growth in meeting like minded people a once a week buffer where you can reflect throw dreams and hopes here word sthat flow from a book and surround you in the beauty of an all loving god.....i know people have beliefs that are not the same as mine.....but this is a personal growth i use and that is the question....i have not been in a few weeks now....i love to create dishes from all over the world ....its like travelling in a kitchen the smells the tastes the sharing with family.....so they can tease and call me a dag.....sounds fun huh....i dotn know if i should eb the one to tell you what to find joy in when i have lost the joy for these things at this time..instead of roti and curry i have meal replacements and portable meals fruit nuts seeds vitamin pills hairy lemon..i have been treating the kids to culture and far away places in little boxes italian.....chinese....thai.......still joke around and call me a dag....lol....slack of me.....they gt to experience it.....i have lost my appetite so they shouldnt suffers so trying making a dish from a place you have always wanted to go.....and i will repeat this twice for personal growth sleep is your friend..... subliminally talking to you now.....sleep is your friend......smilin.....try one hour community service a week you dont have to commit a crime to help the community you live in start googlin buster

you can get to know it without a slap on the wrist.....volunteer if you are active go state emergency services go jump out of helicopters.....do the possible....and when you do that you just might get to do the impossible......says me who i munching on almonds not sleeping with insomnia....do what you can and get that sleep deprivation was used as a form of torture for good reason........uuuuuuummmm to torture people.....:laugh:.....prisoners of war would be sleep deprived to make them susceptible to interrogation.weak mentally....that fuzzy feelin......now i'm paranoid i have answered too many questions..im kiddin ....maybe..best wishes hope i helped...sleeeeeeeep is your frrrriend.......eight to 8.5 hours dont over sleep....doesnt help ....slinks off munchin

How about starting something alone that would enable you to join a club? The obvious one, for me because I used to go, is a camera club or photography club. There are countless websites which are wonderful and helpful and then you can attend a club on an adhoc basis, often they're showcasing their work and are really happy to have someone show an interest.

Likewise, a drawing class is in the same vein. Or maybe get in to yoga or a fitness activity then join a group that does it. In fact, if you're overweight at all (I've no clue whether you are or not) weight loss clubs can be really welcoming and you can interact or not bother.

Is that the type of things you were thinking of?

Learn to knit or crochet, and later join a group. They often just sit and knit together, and you don't have to be a good knitter to join in.

Book clubs are widely available.

Start with the public library website, and see what kinds of groups meet there.

Better yet, go to the library, approach a kind looking library worker, and ask them about book clubs and other clubs that meet at the library each month.

Woodwork

Leatherwork

Music of any kind (my brother has created some SICK songs on his Mac)

Fly tying-this is probably only going to be fun if you have somewhere to go out and use them, though

Physical fitness

Model airplanes/ships/tanks/etc.

Painting

Sorry, dmmm, I just noticed you are a male--maybe no knitting (although my H does knit sometimes :o, and you would meet lots of women! :p)

You could begin studying a new language, and later take a community class.

• Author

Thanks for the ideas!

Just looking for something to do that would enable me to talk to people or seem interesting etc when I finally do get out in the big wide world.

I would look online first to see what sort of clubs, classes and groups are in your area. If there's something that catches your interest, like a photography club for example, you can teach yourself that stuff at home and when you're ready to get out there, you'll already know which groups to join.

Another way to go about it is to take up whatever hobby interests you and don't worry about whether you can find a group or not. I know someone who is really into anime and she dresses up and goes to anime conventions, which is pretty far out there, but I think she is so cool for doing that.

Anyway, you could try stuff like gardening, writing, photography, reading. Chess, painting, DIY type projects. For a while I was ordering mushroom spores and growing those at home and people thought that was cool, but I lost interest in it and stopped. If you like video games, there are trial versions of software that lets you create your own RPG games.

Edited by SpiralOut
whichwayisup

Ever try to make a stain glass? (for the actual window, or just something to hang up) my husband learned how to do this on his own by reading and watching online. he's made some pretty nice stuff. It's a fun hobby and great as gifts.