LoveShack.org Community Forums

Reload this Page LoveShack.org Community Forums > Mind, Body & Soul > Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being

How to work from home?

Self-Improvement and Personal Well-Being Start off with a great foundation! The place to ponder the journey towards improving yourself!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2012, 7:59 AM   #1
Established Member

How to work from home?

What could I do and how would I go about it??
Ross MwcFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MwcFan View Post
What could I do and how would I go about it??
Well, that depends. What are you interested in doing as an entrepreneur?

First you need your idea. Do you want a business partner? Do you want to offer a service to an organization as a consultant? These are important questions to ask yourself, when you think being an entrepreneur may be good for you.

Then, take your idea to a non-profit organization that helps entrepreneurs, and find a business mentor who will help you with all the start up necessary.

Maybe ThaWholigan could help you, since he's in the process of entrepreneurship too. He posted in the OTT thread about working on his marketing plan. Since you are both in the UK, he may know where you could start.

I also suggest getting books from the library about being an entrepreneur.

I found this link. Maybe it will help?

I copied the part that gives advice about how to start up your own business.

It's a UK link too. Considering starting up? | Business Link
mario_C likes this.
writergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Established Member

It's always easier if you have an area of expertise. Other than small business owners, the majority of work-from-home people are contractual/freelance writers, programmers, designers, and such.

Honestly, though, it depends on your reasons for wanting to work from home. Some full-time jobs have positions that allow you to work from home sometimes but you would still be an employee of a company, with everything that it entails. On the other hand, if you are a freelancer or own your own small business, you have full autonomy, but you would usually need to socialize/network and put yourself out there MORE than if you worked outside the home for a company, if you want to be successful. You have to pitch yourself to customers/contractors to get business and face a lot of rejection. Also you have to make sure you have sufficient income from SOMEwhere to tide you over when you're not getting much business.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to work from home too, and am doing all I can to make it happen. But you need to know your reasons for wanting to do so and whether or not they would be realistic.
mario_C likes this.
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elswyth View Post
It's always easier if you have an area of expertise. Other than small business owners, the majority of work-from-home people are contractual/freelance writers, programmers, designers, and such.

Honestly, though, it depends on your reasons for wanting to work from home. Some full-time jobs have positions that allow you to work from home sometimes but you would still be an employee of a company, with everything that it entails. On the other hand, if you are a freelancer or own your own small business, you have full autonomy, but you would usually need to socialize/network and put yourself out there MORE than if you worked outside the home for a company, if you want to be successful. You have to pitch yourself to customers/contractors to get business and face a lot of rejection. Also you have to make sure you have sufficient income from SOMEwhere to tide you over when you're not getting much business.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to work from home too, and am doing all I can to make it happen. But you need to know your reasons for wanting to do so and whether or not they would be realistic.
The reasons for me wanting to do so are because I couldn't cope with having to work at a crappy job out of my home.
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Maybe you could do some informational interviews with small business owners, too.

Here's a news article about young UK entrepreneurs: Britain's new entrepreneurs: young guns go for it | Business | The Observer

I just found another about.com article that discusses work-at-home jobs. Types of Work From Home Jobs

Here's a UK link to start-up businesses: Entrepreneurs | Startups
mario_C likes this.
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal View Post
Well, that depends. What are you interested in doing as an entrepreneur?

First you need your idea. Do you want a business partner? Do you want to offer a service to an organization as a consultant? These are important questions to ask yourself, when you think being an entrepreneur may be good for you.

Then, take your idea to a non-profit organization that helps entrepreneurs, and find a business mentor who will help you with all the start up necessary.

Maybe ThaWholigan could help you, since he's in the process of entrepreneurship too. He posted in the OTT thread about working on his marketing plan. Since you are both in the UK, he may know where you could start.

I also suggest getting books from the library about being an entrepreneur.

I found this link. Maybe it will help?

I copied the part that gives advice about how to start up your own business.

It's a UK link too. Considering starting up? | Business Link
Thanks for the link, I'm reading some of it now, it's taking all my strength to do so though, since I've got zero morale, zero will power, and feel in a really bad way.

The only things that I can think of that I'd be interested in doing is selling my art, or working on the computer.

I don't want a business partner, unless it's just someone who I only contact over the Internet.

I don't understand what offering a service to an organization as a consultant means.
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Established Member

Pick up a skill that is most conducive to working from home. It may take a while, so you may have to tough things through for a bit, but it'll be worth it. Google freelance website links for ideas on what skill may suit you. Perhaps sell some art on the side to supplement.
Elswyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I'm reading some of it now, it's taking all my strength to do so though, since I've got zero morale, zero will power, and feel in a really bad way.

The only things that I can think of that I'd be interested in doing is selling my art, or working on the computer.

I don't want a business partner, unless it's just someone who I only contact over the Internet.

I don't understand what offering a service to an organization as a consultant means.
I like your plan to sell your art or work on the computer. You could create your own website to market your artwork, and get grant money to do that. That sounds like a great idea. Why don't you pursue that idea?

The computer work sounds like an awesome idea too, very doable. You could take some classes for the computer work, get a certification, then become your own consultant.

I know the poster Betterdeal does that type of work. You should PM him about it. I'm sure he could offer you advice.

Great ideas Ross. Both are very doable and definitely capable of drawing a financial profit for you. I think you'd be happy with both. You could probably even do both, side by side.
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Established Member

Medical transcription is done by LOTS of morbidly obese women who aren't remotely presentable in public or the perennially shy who are incapable of handling office politics and human interaction.

With the advent of the need to digitize medical records, it is a growing industry.

I know two in the industry who make upwards of six figures.
mario_C likes this.
CarrieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Established Member

Run everything by your therapist as well.

Working from home can be good for some. But it can also be incredibly isolating.

People, in general, need some social interaction with others. Just being around others at ANY occupation can be beneficial even if you hardly speak or not necessarily like them.

Tom Hanks was willing to risk everything to get off the island after awhile.

A part time job might be good for your financial and emotional well being.

Good luck!
StrangeBehaviors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 4:06 PM   #11
Established Member

Quote:
The reasons for me wanting to do so are because I couldn't cope with having to work at a crappy job out of my home.

Ross

I must admit I find this attitude frustrating. You know how much I want to support and encorage you but do you have any idea of how many people would love a crappy job out of their home because it means they have a job, that they are paying their way and that they are not dependent on welfare.

People do crappy jobs. They would love a great job but they do what they have to do.

- Richard Dawkins
anne1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 4:10 PM   #12
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
Ross

I must admit I find this attitude frustrating. You know how much I want to support and encorage you but do you have any idea of how many people would love a crappy job out of their home because it means they have a job, that they are paying their way and that they are not dependent on welfare.

People do crappy jobs. They would love a great job but they do what they have to do.
That's them. I'm not the same as everyone else.
Old 22nd July 2012, 4:13 PM   #13
Established Member

Quote:
That's them. I'm not the same as everyone else.
We are all different. I know people who have worked through tremendous stress including terminal illnesses. You do not get off working when someone else works just because you don't want to do a crappy job. Sorry Ross but you need to start doing, you need to act.
anne1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 4:15 PM   #14
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by writergal View Post
I like your plan to sell your art or work on the computer. You could create your own website to market your artwork, and get grant money to do that. That sounds like a great idea. Why don't you pursue that idea?

The computer work sounds like an awesome idea too, very doable. You could take some classes for the computer work, get a certification, then become your own consultant.

I know the poster Betterdeal does that type of work. You should PM him about it. I'm sure he could offer you advice.

Great ideas Ross. Both are very doable and definitely capable of drawing a financial profit for you. I think you'd be happy with both. You could probably even do both, side by side.
The only problems about trying to sell my artwork, is for one, because I make mistakes and rub them out, you can sometimes still see them quite easily, it's like you can't get rid of them completely no matter how much you use an eraser on them. So I've already got loads of pics like that which I don't think I'd be able to sell.

But maybe on my future pictures, if I draw very lightly at first, it should mean that I'll be able to rub out the mistakes completely, and then I could go over the drawing again once it's finished but more heavier.

I doubt anyone will buy my art work. I think it's great, but I can easily see them not selling on ebay. Maybe if I could get the art work out to a much larger audience, I dunno.

I do have a Youtube channel where I display my art work, maybe I could use that to try and help sell my art. but I've only got about 10 subscribers.

As far as making a living from it, it's not looking good.
Old 22nd July 2012, 4:16 PM   #15
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne1707 View Post
We are all different. I know people who have worked through tremendous stress including terminal illnesses. You do not get off working when someone else works just because you don't want to do a crappy job. Sorry Ross but you need to start doing, you need to act.
I don't think you understand the situation.