To me, there's nothing more important than dreaming and following those dreams.

I have big plans for this world. I want to change the world on a huge scale. I want to be remembered. I want to make a positive difference. I want to travel the world. I can't see myself being a 9-5 cubicle guy.

Sadly, when I talk to most of my friends, their aspirations are more humble. As long as they can find a job where they maintain their middle class lifestyle, they'll see it as a victory.

I want more out of life. More than just "okay". More than just working a job I may not even like just for the check. Life has so much to offer, I don't want to live in a routine like that. Just working that same job on the weekdays, and doing yardwork/going shopping with the missus on the weekends.

I want to live. I want to experience new things.

What do you want out of this life? Anyone have big aspirations?

What do you want out of this life? Anyone have big aspirations?

To be perfect honest, I take life one foot step in front of another. I just see some people get so preoccupied with dreams of grandeur that they don't pay attention to and appreciate the moment. I don't knock having goals and reaching for them, but it's just not my style.

Edited by USMCHokie
  • Like 1
  • Author
To be perfect honest, I take life one foot step in front of another. I just see some people get so preoccupied with dreams of grandeur that they don't pay attention to the moment. I don't knock having goals and reaching for them, but it's just not my style.

If I haven't said already, thank you for your service. God bless. Joining the military is the highest form of selflessness I can think of.

Back to the thread topic: I very much live in the moment and take things as they come to me, but ultimately, I'm hoping the choices I make lead to something big. I can't see myself doing anything less. I don't see myself ten years from now, laying on the couch, renting movies on demand with my wife before the weekend ends and it's time to go back to the grind. I'm not that guy. I'm not a settle down and move to the burbs type of guy. At least I don't think so. Not as this point in my life. It seems most people are totally fine living humble, routined lives, and I'm not knocking them for that, but I would think young people like me, would want to strive to do more.

If I haven't said already, thank you for your service. God bless. Joining the military is the highest form of selflessness I can think of.

Thanks, I appreciate your support.

Back to the thread topic: I very much live in the moment and take things as they come to me, but ultimately, I'm hoping the choices I make lead to something big. I can't see myself doing anything less. I don't see myself ten years from now, laying on the couch, renting movies on demand with my wife before the weekend ends and it's time to go back to the grind. I'm not that guy. I'm not a settle down and move to the burbs type of guy. At least I don't think so. Not as this point in my life. It seems most people are totally fine living humble, routined lives, and I'm not knocking them for that, but I would think young people like me, would want to strive to do more.

I would hope you'd strive for more than just average, or more than just above average. My only bit of advice is that once you've visualized that grand dream of yours, leave it at that, and begin to focus solely on the small steps that will get you to that ultimate goal. I view life as simply a series of small victories. They are easier to attain and will keep you motivated to stay on your path.

It's like staring at the peak of the mountain as you climb up the path. If you don't focus on the trail ahead of you, you're gonna fall on the rocks and roots in the way.

• Like 1
  • Author
Thanks, I appreciate your support.

I would hope you'd strive for more than just average, or more than just above average. My only bit of advice is that once you've visualized that grand dream of yours, leave it at that, and begin to focus solely on the small steps that will get you to that ultimate goal. I view life as simply a series of small victories. They are easier to attain and will keep you motivated to stay on your path.

It's like staring at the peak of the mountain as you climb up the path. If you don't focus on the trail ahead of you, you're gonna fall on the rocks and roots in the way.

Agree totally. It's hard for me to relate to people within my own age group. I feel like my generation doesn't "get it". They're more interested in gossiping on facebook and catching last night's jersey shore episode, while going through the motions of college and working odd jobs, kind of just dragging their feet through the whole process.

Finding some job that pays well enough that they can continue living the middle class lifestyle they're used to is their only concern. That's as far as they hope to get. I just think life has so much more to offer than that. Why settle? Why not look to do something more? Change the world? Be remembered? Do something big? Experience all the different cultures and countries this world offers?

Where is that drive? Where is that aspiring spirit? I don't see it in many people.

I'm seeing a lot of followers and not a whole lot of leaders.

'In the moment' and knowing your limits are good things. I try not to dream over things that I know I can't achieve. Sure I still dream them like any other person but I like to be more grounded than that. And I am an optimist by heart so that almost sounds silly coming out of me.

Speaking of "that drive" I had only recently grasped hold of true motivation myself (thanks to someone who awoke that in me.) I thought hard about my future and where it would lead...it was bleak...like bottomless abyss bleak. So I'm working on things, gradually, don't want to break my neck on the descent upon the ascent, right? lol

I'm pursuing something I love, so dreaming big is well and all. But loving your life, being happy with it and what you can do, is just as important. Or I believe that is the point to this post. :laugh:

• Author
'In the moment' and knowing your limits are good things. I try not to dream over things that I know I can't achieve. Sure I still dream them like any other person but I like to be more grounded than that. And I am an optimist by heart so that almost sounds silly coming out of me.

But that's the whole thing. I could understand if all humans either lived average or below average lives. Then we would have no idea of what we're truly capable of. What our ceiling is. But you don't have to look far to see people who have left a lasting impact on this world. My thinking is, if they did it, why not me?

The difference between those who make it and those who don't isn't a matter of them being the smartest, or the strongest, or whoever had the most connections. The people that have made it big and lived their dreams just had the most heart. They believed they could make it.

But that's the whole thing. I could understand if all humans either lived average or below average lives. Then we would have no idea of what we're truly capable of. What our ceiling is. But you don't have to look far to see people who have left a lasting impact on this world. My thinking is, if they did it, why not me?

The difference between those who make it and those who don't isn't a matter of them being the smartest, or the strongest, or whoever had the most connections. The people that have made it big and lived their dreams just had the most heart. They believed they could make it.

I guess that old adage "You can do anything you set your mind to" comes into play.

Very well, I'll concede to this because I like the way it sounds. :p

And now you have me curious.. In what way would you go about changing the world, if you could? Or to leave your mark in general?

• Author
I guess that old adage "You can do anything you set your mind to" comes into play.

Very well, I'll concede to this because I like the way it sounds. :p

And now you have me curious.. In what way would you go about changing the world, if you could? Or to leave your mark in general?

I'm a journalism major. But I also do a lot of creative writing. My hope is to one day run my own successful magazine or become an author, or maybe sell some of my movie scripts, anything, really; and use my celebrity and resources to donate to various charities. Money doesn't really motivate me. I want enough to live comfortably and give the rest away. I don't need ten cars and 5 mansions. Give me enough to have a sweet apartment in the city, the rest goes to those in need.

This is something that I struggle with a lot. There are conflicting schools of thought about this, even evident in the replies posted in this thread already. Some people suggest you aim for the stars, others say you will never be happy with where you are right now if you're always day dreaming about wanting something more. Aren't some of the eastern religions totally based around the idea that happiness is eliminating desire and wants and being totally content with what you have? Some days I try to look at things that way, but then how do you ever achieve anything if you train yourself to just be happy as is?

For now though I do still aim big. Nothing really in terms of wanting to influence the rest of the world or be famous or remembered. I mean that would be nice, but my dreams are usually more personal. Like I don't want to just lose 10lbs, I want to have a really great physique. I don't just want a reliable car to get from point A to point B, some day I want to be successful enough to own something really nice. And the desire to find more than a 9-5 working existence definitely applies to me, although it's almost to my detriment because I look down on jobs that would at least have me making a decent paycheck right now. But I know how empty those situations always made me feel.

So I do aim kinda high and I have high standards from myself, but it does seem true that in a way that makes it hard to be happy right now. I'm quite far from being happy. And I know it's easy to say you just have to strike a balance, be happy where you're at while still aiming higher, but that's easier said than done.

I'm a journalism major. But I also do a lot of creative writing. My hope is to one day run my own successful magazine or become an author, or maybe sell some of my movie scripts, anything, really; and use my celebrity and resources to donate to various charities. Money doesn't really motivate me. I want enough to live comfortably and give the rest away. I don't need ten cars and 5 mansions. Give me enough to have a sweet apartment in the city, the rest goes to those in need.

Life didn't come with a manual. So what most people do? They follow other people, mostly parents, siblings and friends.

Everybody wake up in the morning go to work or school. Why? Because everyone else is doing it.

If you want to change the world go out and do it. And It is true you'll never be happy with what you have, you'll always strive for more. The key to true happiness is to be happy with what you have but also find happiness in pursuing something more than what you have. It's about living a balanced life.

"Live your life as a walking feet, the one in the front does not have too much pride and the one behind is not ashamed. Because they both know their situations will change"

I heard this from a Muslim scholar(not trying to bring religion into this but still some religions do support the idea of achieving more, its just how u see things)

I made my first website when I was 12 years old, I could barely speak English and I couldn't even write in any language. But because I was a kid I didn't know its not possible. Had I known that I had to take some classes of some sort to build a website I'd go out and get some classes and wasted half the time learning how to do it when I could simply just do it!

The point is. Some people don't want to take risks and would rather have something secure like a reliable job but only a few people want to change the world and they call it their JOB.

Just like Edison, Steve Jobs, Einstein, Ford and Mark Zuckerberg.

I have been thinking like that ever since I was 16 but never achieved anything. I am 23 but now I know if I don't start now I'll never get there. Start by changing things about you "Be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi. And then go from there. Small steps at a time if you can't take big ones.

You are not alone my friend. There are more people like you just don't get lost and keep at it. You'll achieve what you desire.

I leave you with this AD by Apple.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world are the ones who do.