Parts of Your Life You Wish You Could Have Done Differently...?

Is there any part(s) of your life that you wish you could relive and do differently that would have changed the course of your life or who you would become?

I only ask because I'm watching some college frat movies on Netflix and realize that I didn't experience college to its fullest potential, even while staying five years there...and it's the single biggest regret of my life...I'm positive my personality and social attitude would have been completely different had I taken full advantage of the social opportunities afforded to me during college...

january2011

I wish I'd let go of my last LTR ex a lot sooner. But if I had, I wouldn't have had all the travel opportunities and professional development opportunities I've had because we were still together. And I may not have met my current SO.

There are upsides and downsides to both paths. However, I can't change what I did in the past. I can only try to make smart decisions so that today and tomorrow are "better."

I wish I went away to school and just took that loan but I am trying to work on that now and still have a chance. Besides that I don't have anything I would want to do differently.. What is the odds that changing somthing would make my life any better?

Is there any part(s) of your life that you wish you could relive and do differently that would have changed the course of your life or who you would become?

Honestly brother, and I don't care if some may see this as a generic cop-out cliche reply, but over the course of my life I've come to truly believe and WITNESS first-hand that EVERYTHING happens for a reason, and we wouldn't be where we are today were it not for everything that happened to us, both the good and the bad.

I used to look back on my life with sorrow and regret at certain points, but that was a LIE. All it did was drag me down in the ole "woulda coulda shoulda" game. Instead, I actively CHOOSE to impact what I can TODAY, because that's all I have that is guaranteed. If I wait until tomorrow, it might already be too late.

So I've decided to live my life as positively as I can. The past is the past. We can either learn from it and live victoriously today, or we can trap ourselves in our own twisted reality, living in regret, fear, guilt and sorrow. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

• Like 3
todreaminblue

I only ask because I'm watching some college frat movies on Netflix and realize that I didn't experience college to its fullest potential, even while staying five years there...and it's the single biggest regret of my life...I'm positive my personality and social attitude would have been completely different had I taken full advantage of the social opportunities afforded to me during college...

i know if I had stayed in the navy longer I could have travelled and fulfilled my dream of doing just that seeing the world but i cant say i regret leaving to have a tribe of kids instead.....i will still get to travel so i dont think i have lost out at all and my 2nd oldest son is going to be a soldier soon and i am proud that he has chosen to follow in my footsteps.....as a woman and a mother its a heart swelling moment....so i honestly think if i had the chance to change my life.....i would choose the same over again....as when i have an empty nest i will have the chance to travel anyway..and as far as the bad things being able to predict them and then changing them.....its better they happened to me than someone else....and given me the ability to be supportive in bad situations that happen to others..my theory....damaged goods can be and are useful so no regrets and no real wish to change any part ......deb

ThaWholigan

I wish I was more active as a kid. I did too much sitting around thinking and reading. Although I probably wouldn't have been as good at piano, but still.

I had/have a great physique and it's been largely wasted by being sedentary, something I'm now rectifying, albeit slowly.

I also wish I combated my nervousness a lot quicker. It's still lingering around, and I have to catch myself on occasion and bulldoze my way through the feeling :laugh:.

• Author
Honestly brother, and I don't care if some may see this as a generic cop-out cliche reply, but over the course of my life I've come to truly believe and WITNESS first-hand that EVERYTHING happens for a reason, and we wouldn't be where we are today were it not for everything that happened to us, both the good and the bad.

I used to look back on my life with sorrow and regret at certain points, but that was a LIE. All it did was drag me down in the ole "woulda coulda shoulda" game. Instead, I actively CHOOSE to impact what I can TODAY, because that's all I have that is guaranteed. If I wait until tomorrow, it might already be too late.

So I've decided to live my life as positively as I can. The past is the past. We can either learn from it and live victoriously today, or we can trap ourselves in our own twisted reality, living in regret, fear, guilt and sorrow. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

You make a great point here...there's nothing we can do to change the past, but hopefully we can look back and learn from it.

Everything happens the way it's supposed to, and it has all happened for the best...

There are certain decisions I wish I would have never made such as defending my husband to his family. I'm always feeling unliked and depressed because of it. I chose to do the second part of my bachelors program online. I spent 4 years in a CC, so now I just want to get school over with. I was never really into partying or clubs or whatever in college.

I wish I hadn't had that penis reduction :laugh:

I have no regrets and love who I am and wouldn't change a thing if I could go back...

As much as I think I would just let the things be the same :D, all the things that have happened are making from me a stronger person, after each fail or mistake I learn something more, I get some new opportunities in my life which I wouldn't get if I didn't get through them, maybe I should have left my ex earlier, but......... I wouldn't be where I am now (ok I am hurt, in pain, feeling humiliated - but I started to do lot of things, which I would have never done before). At least I can say I live fully, my life isn't boring at all :laugh:, I have ups and downs, I have tried a lot of things - but sometimes I feel maybe I want to live calm and quiet life but hmmmm I still have a lot of time for that.

I wish I hadn’t let fear and doubt in myself govern almost every important decision I’ve ever made.

• Like 1
threebyfate

No.

Had I not gotten involved with the ex-husband, I wouldn't have eventually found my second husband who's the most amazing man or had Bump, the love of our lives or be currently pregnant with our second forthcoming little darling boy. :love:

• Like 1

I deeply regret my LTR with a guy with BPD. I was young, and too keen to get the picket-fence set-up and now I've probably missed my chance to have a family with a decent, trustworthy man.

The longer time goes on the more devastated I feel about it. I see the person I was and how it happened - rationally - but I am sad for what I lost.

Only myself to blame... :(

• 2 weeks later...
Forever Learning

Oh yes, this sums it up for me too. If I dwelled on what a trainwreck my life (marriage to be precise) was from age 26 to age 40, I'd be quite paralyzed with regret. I can't do that. I've got to enjoy the present, because I let myself live in a bad situation for too long, but I can't dwell on that. The here and now is alot of fun, I'm happy, and that is good enough. Great actually! Hope I always feel this way about life, I plan to. It's a great perspective, I enjoy my attitude of gratitude, it's awesome and keeps me happy. :D

• Like 1
Forever Silent

I would not redo any part of my life. Everything I have done has made me the person I am now, and I love the person I am.

• Like 3

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Even though I was in a bad place mentally/emotionally for most of my twenties, I'm coming out of it now. As much as that sucked and I wish that I could have just enjoyed my 20s like people are supposed to do...well... if I hadn't gone through what I did, I may not be who I am now. I may not have the appreciation and understanding that I have now. I feel like I'm coming out of this as a wiser person.

• Like 3

I wouldn't have been so insecure about myself in college, which would have meant not trying to figure out who I was through cheap, meaningless sex :(

I wish I could go back in time and stop my parents from conceiving me, thus sparing me a lifetime of misery.

This is such a great question, it really made me think.

First I wouldnt be the person I am today without some horrific experiences, and Im glad Im the person I am today. Cant say I enjoyed od'ding, nor being suicidal, it was horrific, but, I am tougher and stronger than most now, and am now working in what I would call my calling, thanks to those experiences.

Regrets? put it this way ive learnt a lot, and not always in the best way. But for me, messing up royally was the only way id learn. I regret staying in one relationship too long and maybe being too weak to leave or fully commit. But, you only really get one shot with someone so you stay, and figure, lets ride it out till the bitter end. It had to reach rock bottom (and it was pretty ugly) for us to finally part ways.

I regret not being able to say goodbye. Its the most painful word in the world to me, even if its to someone who deserves to be put in the dustbin of history;) the idea of never seeing someone again just kills me.

• Like 2

I wouldn't change anything. My path hasn't been an easy, direct path but it has made me who I am today. If I had gone to university at a younger age than I did, it would have happened in my own country rather than in London and I wouldn't have had the amazing life I've had here so far.

I felt for years that I wasted my 20s being married, it felt like my lost years for a while but that's nonsense of course. Life is not some big march towards a goal, it's slow development.

• Like 1
the idea of never seeing someone again just kills me.

Me too but I'm glad I'm this way.

• Like 1

When you get to my age I don't think you will look back at that time as a time where you missed out on something. A little partying goes a long way. I did it pretty strong from 25-30ish, and when it ended around 30 because of new relationship and a few other things, it wasn't like I wanted to walk away, more like I had to. Looking back, I'm glad it ended when it did.

"The only mistakes you make in life are the ones you do not learn from"

I don't really regret anything I've done in life, barring one certain part or time frame which was the ending of my last relationship. I made mistakes, I've learned from them, but sometimes the painful reality hits you that you can't go back and undo certain things that you regret, and/or affect you, so drastically. That is why it is soo important to always be the best man that you can be. My father was NOT a good man. I got to watch him pass away slowly from cancer. When it got to the point that he was within about a week of him passing, you could see clearly everything wrong that he did in his life was now weighing upon him like the weight of the world. Words could never describe how he looked, or how he acted, but he now had to live his last week or so with a lifetime of regret, and that must have been the most painful thing a person could go thru, ever.

Be a good man, you already seem like you have a good foundation dude, keep it up. Later in life frat memories will not define your life, or what kind of person you are, if you do continue to be a good man and live an honorable life. The ones who never grow out of the frat will never contribute to this society anything good.

• Like 3

I'm pretty happy with how my life's been. I've struggled with various personal issues, but overall I've had a really rich life, and I've worked proactively to make it rich. One thing I would have liked to have changed is how I approached relationships when I was younger. You live and learn... :D

• Like 1