Filling in forms: At home? Or at the place where you picked it up?

Ross MwcFan

Something that is making me feel really paniky all the time, is that when I end up going to the animal sanctury and pick up the form in the main building, I'm not going to know whether I'm supposed to fill in the form there or if I'm supposed to take it home with me to fill in.

I feel stupid asking at reception.

If it's a simple form, then it's going to look strange if I leave the building with it, since obviously you would be expected to fill it in there.

If it's not so simple, like it may be asking questions where the only way I would be able to answer them would be to look at certain documents at home, then I would look strange if I started filling it in there, and then to leave with the form before I've finished it, because I need to refer to stuff that I have at home.

So I've got no idea what to do.

Have a quick glance through the form when it is handed to you and before you put pen to paper. If there is any doubt in your mind that you can complete it there and then then there is absolutely nothing wrong with you saying you will complete the form at home and return it as soon as possible (next day if you can). Because you don't know what questions may be on the form, you cannot know 100% what your answers will be in response.

Stop worrying Ross :)

Something that is making me feel really paniky all the time, is that when I end up going to the animal sanctury and pick up the form in the main building, I'm not going to know whether I'm supposed to fill in the form there or if I'm supposed to take it home with me to fill in.

I feel stupid asking at reception.

If it's a simple form, then it's going to look strange if I leave the building with it, since obviously you would be expected to fill it in there.

If it's not so simple, like it may be asking questions where the only way I would be able to answer them would be to look at certain documents at home, then I would look strange if I started filling it in there, and then to leave with the form before I've finished it, because I need to refer to stuff that I have at home.

So I've got no idea what to do.

Most people hate filling out forms, it's just one of those nuisance things that take up too much time, so you're no different than the majority of the population.

As a general rule if they give you a pen or the form is on a clip-board or they give you specific instructions to fill it out there you're expected to fill them out straight away. If not, then you just take the form and basically either scan it to see if you want to fill it out or just walk out with it and say something like "I'll drop this back later".

People tend to vary a lot in how they deal with forms, at one end some people basically just scrawl all over them and complete them in a few seconds without reading anything. At the other you have people who read every bit of the small print and are hesitant to sign anything. Most are in the middle, they scan through the questions and take their time filling them out accurately but don't pay much attention to the legal stuff.

I've said this to you before, you have too high expectations of yourself, all you need to do is be average i.e. go in, take the form and unless otherwise advised take it away and fill it out.

If this is a job application, bring a copy of your CV with you. You can either attach it or refer to it when filling out the form. Also bring the names and phone numbers or emails of any references you think you might need.

I've said this to you before, you have too high expectations of yourself, all you need to do is be average i.e. go in, take the form and unless otherwise advised take it away and fill it out.

Yup. Ross, CHILL!

Fill it out there, or fill it out at home. No big deal either way. If you keep sweating every LITTLE detail, then you're just in your own head and it will be hard for you to learn how to just breathe and enjoy life.

• Like 1
Filling in forms: At home? Or at the place where you picked it up?

For me, it's simple. I ask if there are any forms to fill out before arrival and, if so, I ask that they be mailed/e-mailed so I can complete them completely and accurately prior to arrival. If I get surprised with forms, I walk, especially if it's unreasonable to have all the information available to fill them out accurately. One example would be medical forms. How the fµck should I know the phone number and address of a past physician or when I was last treated, as an example?

What kind of form is this? If it's just basic personal information, stuff you normally know from memory, it shouldn't be an issue. Otherwise, tell them what you don't know and ask how to then proceed. You'll want to appear more civilized than I do ;)

Ross, unless they need the form filled out right away (for example, you have an appt in 10 minutes to see the dr, and they need the health form completed first), no one will pay any attention at all to whether you sit down and fill it out, or take it home.

I promise you. I worked this kind of job for years, and never once did I give a moment's thought to when or how people filled out the forms.

If it makes you more comfortable, plan to take it home. Just stop by, say you are there to "pick up" the forms, thank them, and leave :)

If this is a job application, bring a copy of your CV with you. You can either attach it or refer to it when filling out the form. Also bring the names and phone numbers or emails of any references you think you might need.

It is very common for companies to state application forms only, no CVs so the option of attaching the CV may not work

Also it takes pressure off Ross if he completes a form in his own time at home rather than feel pressured to do that in front of others

• Author
Ross MwcFan

Thanks guys. I panic so much about this kind of stuff because it feels like everyone else would know what to do, and that I must be stupid to not know, and I worry about doing the wrong thing and making a fool of myself.

What I'll do is I'll attempt to fill it in there. I figure that it'd be better to attempt to fill it in there, even if I end up realising that I'll have to take it home with me because it's complicated, than to just take it home with me in the first place, when it could turn out that it was simple enough to fill out there.

I figure if it's simple enough to fill out there they will give me a pen, if it isn't, then they wont.

Now, if they just have some pens hanging around in reception, then it's not going to be as clear cut. ;)

If there's something I can guarantee, Ross, it's that no one is observing you nearly as closely as you think.

Take a pen and relax.

It's going to be a-ok.

• Like 3

Another way to look at this Ross, is to organize yourself a bit more. Take the time to write a list of everything that you're worried about before you go into a situation like this. (This applies to any situation.)

In this case, it looks like your worries are:

1) That they won't have a pen available.

2) That you won't know whether to fill it out there or take it home.

3) That if you have to fill it out there, you won't have the documentation you need.

Could you prepare yourself for each of these worries BEFORE you go in? It's all about a little advance problem solviing. For example:

1) That they won't have a pen available.

Bring your own pen. If this option leads to new anxieties (perhaps you're worried that the pen you bring won't work or will be the wrong color ink or whatever else), then bring two pens in black and blue ink. Test them before you leave to make sure they work.

2) That you won't know whether to fill it out there or take it home.

You could call ahead and ask what they prefer. (My guess is that they won't care.) You could go in and just sit back and see what other people do with the form. Or, best case scenario, as someone else suggested, you could see if the form is available online for you to print out and fill out before you even go in.

3) That if you have to fill it out there, you won't have the documentation you need.

What kind of documentation is needed in the UK? In the US, it tends to be only your work history, your social security number, and your drivers license number. Sometimes, you might need your health insurance card. Take a look online and see what the standard documentation is. If you fear that you might need it, just take it with you.

If you make a list of your worries, you can take time to think hard about what the simplest solutions are to each one. Do that BEFORE you take the plunge into whatever the situation is. Taking steps to address each item on the list will only benefit you and help you dial down your anxieties.

Not to mention, as others have said, no one really cares about a lot of this but you.:) So, if that understanding could somehow be playing in the background of your mind, it might help you even more as you make your list and prepare for each item on it.

• Like 1