Psychiatry should be banned

Allows crazies to roam w/o causing massive destruction to society?

Expert witness testimony in custody trials.

Thinking.....

Someone has to be lowest score in med school!!

todreaminblue
what use does it serve?

You couldn't be serious?Could you?

Spend 24 hours in a Locked pysch ward then you tell me why society needs psychiatry.

• Like 1

Because without it, my children would have a mother who was terrified of all things, unable to leave the house, and not able to take care of them. I'm glad for it. It has helped me be able to function. I am an adult survivor of incest. Survivor of rape. And abusive alcoholic parents. If you believe that psychiatry serves no purpose, then YOU try to explain rape to a 5-year-old while she's in the hospital after surgery piecing her back together. Or do you expect "natural selection" to win out, where she'll commit suicide as soon as she gets old enough to understand?

• Like 9

It should be banned because it helps to line Big Pharma's pants pockets with $$ from un-necessary prescriptions that do more harm than good.

And these two links: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/depression-medication-why_b_550098.html and http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/01/28/the-depressing-news-about-antidepressants.html

As a psudeo-science, psychiatry misinforms the public, creates mental disorders that have no scientific validity other than just an opinion and so-called research. The so-called validity of such reports comes from false research studies funded by pharmaceutical companies. People get hooked on antidepressants that don't actually do anything except to create addiction to and produce toxic side effects. http://www.numbdocumentary.com/Numb_Documentary/Home.html

Psychiatry is full of unethical doctors who continue to violate their patients' civil rights by torturing them with forced drugging, electro shock therapy, involuntary committing a patient without proper investigation, etc. etc.

Look at what psychiatrists did to death camp prisoners during WWII with horrific medical experiments on people without even anesthetizing them. It's No. 1 on this list:http://listverse.com/2008/03/14/top-10-evil-human-experiments/

I don't believe in psychiatry as a reputable science as I think it destroys people's lives in many ways.

Edited by writergal
todreaminblue
It should be banned because it helps to line Big Pharma's pants pockets with $$ from un-necessary prescriptions that do more harm than good.

As a psudeo-science, psychiatry misinforms the public of mental disorders they create labels for that have no scientific validity. The so-called validity comes from falsely authorized reports, research studies funded by pharmaceutical companies...the list of reasons why psychiatry should be banned is a long, long one.

It's full of unethical doctors who continue to violate their patients' civil rights by torturing them with forced drugging, electro shock therapy, involuntary committing a patient without proper investigation, etc. etc.

Look at what psychiatrists did to death camp prisoners during WWII with horrific medical experiments on people without even anesthetizing them.

Ahhh but if hitler had been in a locked psych ward when his insanity was evident and declared insane and not a believed god .....those death camps would have maybe not formed until the next psychopath ran the country ...... there are unethical doctors in all branches of medicine...... so all branches are a necessary evil, or mentally sick or physically sick people die in their homes painfully or cause death to innocent others.......wars are a necessary evil..“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ...hospitals breed golden staph but are a necessary evil.....what psychiatry needs is research it has improved......or i would now be labotomised and be rotting on a bed somewhere drooling......the human brain is complex.....psychiatry has only improved over the years but seeing all of humanity is imperfect there are no perfect solutions and mistakes are made.......and sometimes they get it right......deb

• Like 1
todreaminblue
Pharma Rep Confession - YouTube

I think this former big pharma rep offers proof as to why psychiatry and big pharma are corporate businesses NOT in the business to cure disease but to pseudo-treat illness.

The lady does have valid points......In australia......in conjunction with medication and other forms of treatment there are exercise programs, nutritionists, information and groups about homeopathy, holistic approach to life, meditation,naturopathy,social awareness,there are church groups who come around and offer comfort and the power of prayer to the higher power.....i have never studied the American mental health system or would know anything about what it is like over there......I would hope it is similar...

So if they did say ban psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry from making medications that provide management of mental illness ......where do the people go who do need that medication to be functional members of society that exercise and healthy living dont fix? Why should the choice about taking medication or having psychiatric illness diagnosed or managed be taken away from the mentally ill? Isnt that a way of taking away rights of the individual to decide his or her treatment.........

TaraMaiden

Psychiatry works.

Manipulators make it not work.

• Like 2
The lady does have valid points......In australia......in conjunction with medication and other forms of treatment there are exercise programs, nutritionists, information and groups about homeopathy, holistic approach to life, meditation,naturopathy,social awareness,there are church groups who come around and offer comfort and the power of prayer to the higher power.....i have never studied the American mental health system or would know anything about what it is like over there......I would hope it is similar...

So if they did say ban psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industry from making medications that provide management of mental illness ......where do the people go who do need that medication to be functional members of society that exercise and healthy living dont fix? Why should the choice about taking medication or having psychiatric illness diagnosed or managed be taken away from the mentally ill? Isnt that a way of taking away rights of the individual to decide his or her treatment.........

The American mental health system does not cover the costs for nutritionists, or any holistic approach. Not all health insurance programs here cover those costs because its money out of big pharma's pockets which trickles down to the health insurance companies pockets. I consider the health care system here to be like a giant pyramid scheme of sorts. Very unethical and tricky to navigate to get to natural healing methods for illness. Basically if I want to see a nutritionist or accupuncturist with my current health plan, I have to pay out-of-pocket because my health insurance plan doesn't see any monetary value with those types of services. And that's terrible because holistic medicine has been around for centuries as well as natural medicines from plants. But nowadays, medications are loaded with color dye, preservatives and unknown compounds that actually poison people and make them sick. Hence, the need to list side effects on medications. But some of the poisonous side effects aren't listed for reasons I"m not sure of.

Unfortunately big pharma and psychiatry is such a large monster it will always exist. However, without it and its phony disorders and diseases, unethical doctors and toxic and unnecessary medications I think people would cease to be mentally ill and their problems recognized as NOT mental but more related to nutritional and physical.

There's mounting evidence that medications are actually toxic, and have a placebo effect for a condition that's debatable. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders here is full of a lot of "conditions" and "diseases" that I fear are fiction created by the big pharma and psychiatric industry. There has been a lot of research done to validate these conditions and diseases but no conclusive biological evidence has really been discovered. It's all still in the opinion-stage. Look at Eugenics for example. How sick is that? That problem existed in America, not just Europe. The Taint of Eugenics In NIMH-Funded Research Today | Mad In America

As this website argues, psychiatry has no scientific basis for its methods or treatments. Quick Facts About Psychiatry

Even psychiatry admits it doesn't have cures, yet it peddles it snake oil via antidepressants, antipsychotics and the like to vulnerable people for what? For profit.

Edited by writergal
TaraMaiden

It helped Ducky23.

Of course, Ducky23 sounds like a real fighter, and to be sure, "It's part of the cure to wish to be cured", but she submitted to psychiatric help and she's lived to tell the tale... Big respect guys....

• Like 1
It helped Ducky23.

Of course, Ducky23 sounds like a real fighter, and to be sure, "It's part of the cure to wish to be cured", but she submitted to psychiatric help and she's lived to tell the tale... Big respect guys....

But was Ducky23 helped because of the placebo effect of hope and trust that psychiatric treatment would change her brain chemistry and such? I'm not arguing that Ducky23 shouldn't have received support, but I just don't believe in psychiatric methods and my cousin is a nurse on a children's psych ward. So she's told me a lot of stories that have helped me to form my opinion that its not helpful and it removes people from natural treatments like exercise, nutrition, acupuncture, music healing, spirituality and meditation which don't have toxic side effects like medications do on the human brain and physical body. I'm glad she feels she was helped but I'm not arguing about Ducky23. I'm just sharing my opinion about psychiatry.

TaraMaiden
But was Ducky23 helped because of the placebo effect of hope and trust that psychiatric treatment would change her brain chemistry and such?

Who knows?

It's now impossible to evaluate...

it removes people from natural treatments like exercise, nutrition, acupuncture, music healing, spirituality and meditation which don't have toxic side effects like medications do on the human brain and physical body.

In hospitals in china, such cures and therapies are used alongside conventional pharmaceutical remedies.

It would be interesting to see any studies which measure the effectiveness of combining such treatments, or the different treatments in isolation from one another.

hopefully such studies exist....

Incidentally, i am completely pro-natural treatments and would always err on that side before heading for a pharmaceutical and chemical remedy.

I also think, in a nutshell, that messing with a person's brain with medications, can't be healthy.

However, I'm not sufficiently informed or educated enough, to be able to expound what i think should be the alternative, and guarantee its marked and evident positive and beneficial effect.

After rereading my belief that mental illnesses are phony illnesses concocted by the psychiatric industry, I realize that I sound like an uninformed, biased hypocrite (just in case anyone thought of calling me that, I thought I'd beat you to the punch). I guess what I'm trying to say (as I back peddle admittedly) is that I have a difficult time believing in a lot of the diagnoses people are given, when there's no real scientific way to prove that a person has a specific illness or that depression doesn't require medication but a nutritional adjustment (some diseases cause depression as a symptom). Does that make sense?

I don't mean any disrespect to posters here who have felt helped by psychiatrists and medications. If that helps them I'm happy for them.

ETA: I respect your opinion tremendously TaraMaiden and appreciate you letting me discuss this with you as I have. And I'm glad you agree with me that medications mess with people's brain chemistry which isn't healthy.

Edited by writergal
pink_sugar

I have an aunt who has bi-polar manic depression. She tried to kill herself when she was 19. Ever since she has and will be medicated for life. Without her medication, she cannot function properly. Psychiatrists monitoring her meds (every so often she has a relapse and needs her medication switched around) keep her going.

• Like 2
todreaminblue
After rereading my belief that mental illnesses are phony illnesses concocted by the psychiatric industry, I realize that I sound like an uninformed, biased hypocrite (just in case anyone thought of calling me that, I thought I'd beat you to the punch). I guess what I'm trying to say (as I back peddle admittedly) is that I have a difficult time believing in a lot of the diagnoses people are given, when there's no real scientific way to prove that a person has a specific illness or that depression doesn't require medication but a nutritional adjustment (some diseases cause depression as a symptom). Does that make sense?

I don't mean any disrespect to posters here who have felt helped by psychiatrists and medications. If that helps them I'm happy for them.

In australia those programs that are offered in conjunction with medication and hospitalisation if you cant afford it are covered by the public health care system.....the groups are sometimes run by volunteers with experience and or knowledge in areas of natural health.....unemployed retrenched in whatever situation....you have options there is also free support for families partners children of the mentally ill involving no medication and teaching strategies ,organising outings and therapy for the whole family also free.....maybe that is why australia is so expensive a place to live......but i am glad i live here......its sad that choices are limited in some countries....a healthcare reform would be beneficial.....btw i dont think you are a hypocrite.....or uninformed....i mightnt agree with you....but you write eloquent posts with valid points......cheers......deb

But was Ducky23 helped because of the placebo effect of hope and trust that psychiatric treatment would change her brain chemistry and such? I'm not arguing that Ducky23 shouldn't have received support, but I just don't believe in psychiatric methods and my cousin is a nurse on a children's psych ward. So she's told me a lot of stories that have helped me to form my opinion that its not helpful and it removes people from natural treatments like exercise, nutrition, acupuncture, music healing, spirituality and meditation which don't have toxic side effects like medications do on the human brain and physical body. I'm glad she feels she was helped but I'm not arguing about Ducky23. I'm just sharing my opinion about psychiatry.

Unless you've been in a situation that REQUIRED psychiatry to fix it, don't knock it. I lost my mind, literally went bats**t crazy after my youngest son was born. And I stayed there, agoraphobic, PTSD, BPD.. Terrified and paranoid. Admittedly, not all medication works for everyone. I've always shunned the use of pharmaceuticals for mental illness, but I hit a point where I would NOT have gotten better without them. It took me almost 8 months to realize this and seek help. The medication did help. My specifications were absolute: no narcotics, nothing that would cause significant weight gain, and it had to be non-habit-forming and easy to wean from. Psychotherapy gave me DBT, EMDR, and Talk Therapy to help me learn to control my emotions, I was taught diet adjustment, advised to exercise regularly, and given huge support from both my psychiatrist and my psychologist. I live in the US. my medical paid every penny of the expense. And I've been without medication for almost a full year. I am fully functional, have a career in which I'm excelling, and am now a wonderful mother. Yes, the medication helped. It stabilized my moods through the hardest parts. No, it was not a Placebo affect, I went in with a closed mind and had to try 4 different medications before I found one that worked with no side effects. It is trial and error. But for those of us who NEED the little bit of extra help, it's more than worth it.

• Like 2

I think psychiatry and medication can be a tremendous benefit to people who are suffering, and it allows them to live a much better life. IF the patient is diagnosed correctly, IF the psychiatrist has the right treatment plan, and IF the medication is appropriate for the illness/disorder it is prescribed for. I do believe there are many cases where people are misdiagnosed, and several cases where medication is too freely given, but for the most part, psychiatry does a lot of good for many people in helping them to live a better life, which they otherwise would not be if not for those psychiatrists or medication.

• Like 1
Unless you've been in a situation that REQUIRED psychiatry to fix it, don't knock it. I lost my mind, literally went bats**t crazy after my youngest son was born. And I stayed there, agoraphobic, PTSD, BPD.. Terrified and paranoid. Admittedly, not all medication works for everyone. I've always shunned the use of pharmaceuticals for mental illness, but I hit a point where I would NOT have gotten better without them. It took me almost 8 months to realize this and seek help. The medication did help. My specifications were absolute: no narcotics, nothing that would cause significant weight gain, and it had to be non-habit-forming and easy to wean from. Psychotherapy gave me DBT, EMDR, and Talk Therapy to help me learn to control my emotions, I was taught diet adjustment, advised to exercise regularly, and given huge support from both my psychiatrist and my psychologist. I live in the US. my medical paid every penny of the expense. And I've been without medication for almost a full year. I am fully functional, have a career in which I'm excelling, and am now a wonderful mother. Yes, the medication helped. It stabilized my moods through the hardest parts. No, it was not a Placebo affect, I went in with a closed mind and had to try 4 different medications before I found one that worked with no side effects. It is trial and error. But for those of us who NEED the little bit of extra help, it's more than worth it.

It sounds like you had a terrible case of postpartum depression after the birth of your son. I can understand why you would seek medication and therapy for that. I have seen several cousins battle that after the birth of their children and it took each of them between one to two years to recover and feel like themselves again. I think since psychiatry is such a hot-button topic, people like us will have to agree to disagree based on our personal experiences and opinions. I appreciate you sharing your story as it shows that psychiatry works for some people, just not for me.

As far as health insurance coverage for non-psychiatric care, I don't know what state you live in, but in the US each state's health insurance policies vary with coverage. In Minnesota, holistic services are considered out-of-network and thus are not covered. You have to file an appeal and fill out a lot of paperwork to get those services covered here if you need them.

As far as your perception that I'm knocking psychiatry without having personal experience, you'd be wrong there. I had two experiences that turned me away from it. The first was my recovery from a serious TBI over a decade ago when a mobility truck hit me while I was riding my road bike. I sustained a TBI and was forced to take multiple medications, three of which were habit-forming and one that was an antidepressant. When I was released from the hospital, I was not given any follow up care to help me wean off those medications safely, which caused a bleeding ulcer to develop, panic attacks, and many other terrible side effects that I had to endure. The second experience was when I went through a bout of insomnia. The psychiatrist that my member services referred me to, was operating without a license (having had his medical license revoked for over-prescribing medications and prescribing the wrong medications). But did my member services know this about him? No. The drug he prescribed me to help my insomnia was not a commonly used sleep aid. It was an anti-psychotic drug that gave me hallucinations because the dose was too high. I walked to the emergency room since I lived four blocks from a hospital in Minneapolis, while seeing things and hearing things. Once I got there, the ER doctor ran tests etc. and immediately took me off the drug, and when I gave him the psychiatrist's name, he plugged that into his computer and that's when it was discovered that the psychiatrist was practicing without a license (that had been revoked as I said earlier). So after those two experiences, in addition to research I've done on my own...I am sorry but I have to disagree with you that psychiatry does not help everyone and does more harm than good.

Is that you Tom Cruise? Sorry about Katie man....

:laugh::laugh::laugh: You made me laugh out loud.

The Thetans are coming...run...run for your lives....!

• Like 1
todreaminblue
It sounds like you had a terrible case of postpartum depression after the birth of your son. I can understand why you would seek medication and therapy for that. I have seen several cousins battle that after the birth of their children and it took each of them between one to two years to recover and feel like themselves again. I think since psychiatry is such a hot-button topic, people like us will have to agree to disagree based on our personal experiences and opinions. I appreciate you sharing your story as it shows that psychiatry works for some people, just not for me.

As far as health insurance coverage for non-psychiatric care, I don't know what state you live in, but in the US each state's health insurance policies vary with coverage. In Minnesota, holistic services are considered out-of-network and thus are not covered. You have to file an appeal and fill out a lot of paperwork to get those services covered here if you need them.

As far as your perception that I'm knocking psychiatry without having personal experience, you'd be wrong there. I had two experiences that turned me away from it. The first was my recovery from a serious TBI over a decade ago when a mobility truck hit me while I was riding my road bike. I sustained a TBI and was forced to take multiple medications, three of which were habit-forming and one that was an antidepressant. When I was released from the hospital, I was not given any follow up care to help me wean off those medications safely, which caused a bleeding ulcer to develop, panic attacks, and many other terrible side effects that I had to endure. The second experience was when I went through a bout of insomnia. The psychiatrist that my member services referred me to, was operating without a license (having had his medical license revoked for over-prescribing medications and prescribing the wrong medications). But did my member services know this about him? No. The drug he prescribed me to help my insomnia was not a commonly used sleep aid. It was an anti-psychotic drug that gave me hallucinations because the dose was too high. I walked to the emergency room since I lived four blocks from a hospital in Minneapolis, while seeing things and hearing things. Once I got there, the ER doctor ran tests etc. and immediately took me off the drug, and when I gave him the psychiatrist's name, he plugged that into his computer and that's when it was discovered that the psychiatrist was practicing without a license (that had been revoked as I said earlier). So after those two experiences, in addition to research I've done on my own...I am sorry but I have to disagree with you that psychiatry does not help everyone and does more harm than good.

I am sorry writergal that a quack treated you......when you go to a general practitioner is it someone who your family or friends have known? someone that you have seen for years and know that he is the best doctor for you?

you cannot trust someone else to decide the best mental health doctor for you without knowing about that doctor personally......a psych is privy to yoru most intimate thoughts beliefs fears....you need to have some knowledge of that person and then be able to trust that he is or she is able to act in your best interests and health just liek you are supposed to trust yoru general practitioner to know what is physically wrong with you .....or refer you to the right person.....you have to be pro active in choosing a doctor....general or otherwise......again it must have been horrible to be treated by a quack.....but fortunately there are ways to find a reputable doctor if you should ever need to...........deb

todreaminblue

Glad to hear it ducky23........psychiatry saves lives.......might not all the time.....they have no instant solutions it can be hit and miss.... but it is proven by you and by me it can save your life.....and there are thousands who would agree or is it millions?

...I am sorry but I have to disagree with you that psychiatry does not help everyone and does more harm than good.

I'd like to point out that you're better off disagreeing with something when you know WHAT you're disagreeing WITH. I never stated that psychiatry helped everyone. Nor that it was "the answer" to all things. The original post, which I replied to, was "psychiatry should be banned: what purpose does it serve?" why, exactly, they put you into psychiatric care after an accident is beyond me. That was NOT a psychiatric mistake IMO, it was a severely flawed MEDICAL mistake. You had no mental illness which psychiatric drugs could be of use to, and your MD could easily prescribe you medication for your insomnia. PTSD and insomnia are not psychiatric specialties. They should be treated by a psychologist and an MD, NOT a psychiatrist. I never said that "mistakes don't happen", you obviously should have checked your psych on your own to make sure of their qualifications before being seen by them, just as you would a doctor, lawyer, or any other "professional" which you consult for ANY problem.

Psychiatry is NOT for MEDICAL patients, it is for MENTALLY ILL individuals. If you are not mentally ill, you should not be seeing a psych. Period. Most mental illnesses are due to an imbalance in the brain. These imbalances are what the medication is made to treat. If you are sad, antidepressants won't help you, if you are not bi-polar, Lithium will not help you, if you have a healthy brain and are simply experiencing emotional/behavioral issues, medication WILL NOT help you. It is this reason that there is a HUGE difference between phsychiatrists and psychologists. The issues that they treat/prevent are very similar, and it is easy to confuse the two. An MD, with a proper diagnosis with the second-opinion and support of a psychologist CAN prescribe anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, and other "psychiatric" drugs.

So, back to the original argument, the question "what purpose does it serve?" is that psychiatry, when used PROPERLY, is extremely beneficial to those who suffer a chemical imbalance in their brain which REQUIRES medication and psychiatric supervision to CORRECT and maintain stability.

I admire your thoughtfulness in thinking enough to do your own research into the subject of psychiatry, however it may be beneficial to also educate yourself on the illnesses the medication is treating, the CAUSE of the illness, and the ALTERNATIVES to medication that all good psychiatrists and psychologists use ALONGSIDE medication to help the patient regain stability in their lives.

And I'm from Washington State. I live 100 miles from one of the most insane cities (per capita) in the state. I trust my MD, and I ALWAYS research mental health professionals before seeking their assistance. Your MD is your best place for referrals to mental health professionals, assuming you trust their judgement.