My assertiveness journal

So many of my problems seem to come from my difficulty in standing up for myself. I'm going to record my progress here.

It all started last fall with this weird chick basically harassing me. After months of posting in here for advice and making small steps, I've managed to get it under control. I have the feeling there will be some sort of showdown between us before I can feel it is completely over. But anyway.

I've been taking the lessons I learned from that experience and applying them to other situations.

For example, last week at work we had a student doing her work placement with us. At one point she tried to explain something to me that I already understood and it was quite annoying. Rather than stand there and allow some inexperienced person to explain basic knowledge to me, I very calmly interrupted her and said, "um it's okay. You don't need to explain it."

Later that day my friend at work, who saw it happen, told me that it was hilarious. She didn't blame me at all for doing it.

Today, someone asked me how much is my apartment. Now it was kind of related to the conversation, but she already has a home. She's not looking to move. So why ask me that?

I just very calmly said to her, "oh. I'd rather not say."

"okay. wait...what?" she replied.

"I'd rather not answer that."

"Why not?"

"Because that's private!!!"

Okay I raised my voice with that last thing. I probably didn't need to be so rude, the tone of voice that I used when saying it. But geez I was so annoyed! Normally I answer questions like that but I am dead sick of it.