now I know why most fit looking people I know are often uptight and in a bad mood :p I have been on my diet for 26 days, I feel like talkign about it somewhre and I didn't know where else to turn :p so if you want to lose weight this thread might be helpful, and if you already lost weight some extra advices could be useful

well I am 6 foot 1 male 223 pounds now... I lost maybe 10 pounds in these 26 days(the first 4 pounds were... water weight) so lets say 6 pounds of fat

my journy started last month, I decided I want to start dieting, but I did not start with doing all the "right" things immediatly(I am still learning and tweaking) I began brisk walking 80 minutes a day, everyday no rest days(still ongoing and I am taking it up to 110 min now) aside from my usual daily activity, I eat when I am hungry but I eat low calory stuff, like a sandwish(not really low calorie but not a sugar snack either) I avoid all type of fast food and fries, and all types of potatoes

the tweaks: well in the begining of the diet it was near easter time, we have a tradition here my mom makes these tasty easter cookies :p I could not keep my hands off eating 2 or 3 cookies a day(containing sugar and starch) now that is over

somewhere alogn the line I switched from regular white bread to whole wheat bread, the bread we eat in the middle east is different than the US bread... but still you get the point :p switching bread, saving like 20 to 40 calories per sandwish

I stopped putting olives in my sandwishes not long ago, because I learned olives are high calorie, and I used to put olive in everything

now doing some more research I found that the cheese I eat for breakfast and dinner is also more or less high on calories :( (400 calories per 100 grams or something) and I could do better by switching to something else

my family sits down on weekends with a giant plate of fies and burgers and other type of fried stuff and I sit there eating salads and stuff, it sucks

there are thousands of calories in difference between what I eat now and what I used to eat daily a few month ago, I used to have chocolat muffins every morning, and chocolat in the afternoon, and chips and the occasional hot dog/burger order... my road is stil long and difficult :p

anyway looking for advice on what do I have for dinner? preferably somethign I can wrap in a sandwish and not a salad

edit: I should have placed this one forum down :p

Edited by 627
PelicanPete

6 pounds is great! I'm glad you're taking steps towards healthier living.

What you should be concerned about on the nutrition labels is not only calories, but carbohydrates. Carbs = energy. If you don't spend that energy, your body saves it for later in the form of fat. A good tip to this is don't eat high carb foods at night time when your watching TV or something, because that energy isn't going to be spent. That tip alone will contribute to a lot of weight loss!

If you dramatically change your diet, chances are it will become too intimidating and when your motivation runs out you won't have the self discipline to continue. Your small changes like taking the olives out are great, and it will add up :)

If your counting calories, if your not exercising at all you should aim for about 2000 per day. At that rate, you should be losing about 1lb/week. If you were to include exercise (I suggest skipping, which is amazing for losing weight) the weight will fall off faster.

Continue to have your regular amount of meals per day, just small portions. If you dramatically change say 3 meals and 2 snacks a day to 2 meals and 1 snack per day, your metabolism is going to slow down to try to compensate that, which makes it more likely to put on weight because it will be storing food.

Another great tip is when you are eating, just eat! Don't watch TV or think about other things or distract yourself in any way. Focus on the food, and every bite you take. Chances are you're going to be eating a lot less.

Try to stay with lean meats like chicken, turkey, and fish. Don't have them deep fried or anything of course :laugh:. Try to keep your food as natural as possible and you can't go wrong. Do your best to stay away from empty calories like candy, alcohol, or chocolate bars. Eat what your body is made of! Your overall mood and outlook on life will improve just by eating healthier compared to fast food and processed food which are filled with chemicals that our body doesn't know what to do with.

If your looking for a cardio exercise and hate the idea of running, treadmill, etc. Skipping is the best. It burns the most calories, you can do it indoor or outdoor, and you just need a cheap $9 speed rope from walmart.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. If you want some more information feel free to ask the physical health part of the forum or PM me :)

• Author

thank you those were some usuful tips

I guess you missed the last one which is be very very patient :p

limitededition

I just want to say congrats on the accomplishment! Im 6'1" Also, but I way 340! Although, I used to way 370, and like you wanted to lose weight. I guess my biggest piece of advice that might help would be to give your self a break every once in a while. ALthough I do try to eat as healthy as possible most of the time, I allow myself a "greasy burger and fries" occasionally. I think it actually helps me work harder, because its a bit of a reward for working so hard in the first place. I know your struggle, and if theres any advice or help I can offer, let me know! Remember that if you fall off the wagon, just get back on again!

• Author

actualy I would rather not have breaks, and I tend to discourage breaks, I am not aiming for a diet but more... a new lifestyle. what I figured out is that, a burger or a pizza or a donut, it tastes great and makes you feel great... up till the moment you are done eating it, and the fat it causes lasts forever(well up until you work too hard to remove it) I am happy to report I am now begining to notice a steady weight loss pattern.

I am walking 2 hours every single day no rest days, I am not cheating, I am avoiding oil and carbs and chocolat/chips/cookies like a plague. it was hell the first 2 weeks but now I am used to it, I no longer miss these foods and it is normal now for me not to eat it.

I grabbed a cookie bar 2 days ago, it had 6 cookies, I ate 2 and then looked at the label, it said "400 calories per 100 grams" and each cookie was 36 gram, so I ate like... 300 calories, my 2 hours walk is 700 calories, is it worth 3 cookies? the effort I am putting in exercice helps me avoid and fear food :p]

summer is near, I want to see myself reach my weight goal, then eat all I want :p (I can work out an equilibrium when I get there)