Are there any natural remedies for allergies?

This is season has been particularly bad but any kind of medication on the market has tons of side effects that I don't want. Is there any way to manage this without doping myself up?

eerie_reverie

Allergies suck. :sick:

You can try:

-getting enough sleep

-avoiding alcohol

-avoiding scratching eyes at all costs

-neti pot

-eating local honey (supposedly)

whichwayisup

Gargle everynight with salt and warm water.

Buy a nose spray that is saline based, (it's all natural, salt and water) and sprinse your nose with it a few times daily. It'll help keep your nasals clean and clear.

Google Boiron. They have great stuff, all organic and safe, no side effects either.

• Author

I broke down and bought a neti pot. Despite the process being completely disgusting it actually works. I am also taking vitamin c which helps as well. This has been one of the worst seasons I have experienced but it should be over in about a week when everything is done blooming.

whichwayisup

Im scared to try that..Neti pot. Something about snorfing in and letting it out the other nostril freaks me out. Let me know how it goes, k!

• Author
Im scared to try that..Neti pot. Something about snorfing in and letting it out the other nostril freaks me out. Let me know how it goes, k![/quote

It takes a while to get used to but it does actually work. It's best to do it in front of a mirror though so you know you are doing it right.

PelicanPete

I had allergies last year and used a Neti pot. It was worth it and really helped me breathe easier. It's something that takes getting use to that's for sure.

The local honey is if you have a plant allergy, because bees pollinate basically everything in the area and you get small doses of your allergen in the honey. If you continue to give your body small doses of what you are allergic to, it will eventually adapt and become more immune to it overtime.

TouchedByViolet

I used to have terrible seasonal allergies, but no longer. Immunotherapy worked very well for me.

• Author

I have found that the Net Pot irritates my sinuses though I probably did overdo it. Luckily things seem to be done blooming.

Sadly, the general medical consensus is 'no'. Not to any significant degree at least.

If you're getting allergic rhinitis, should consider the nasal sprays. It's locally applied, so there's very minimal systemic side effects.

• Author

If they act up again I will try the local honey but we had some nice rain here that washed everything away. I am feeling better than I have felt in weeks.

TaraMaiden

I have used a neti pot for some considerable time, and I have had nothing but benefits.

Colds last a day or two, as opposed to over a week, and strangely, it's helped my tinnitus. too.

Gruesome/yucky as it sounds, I have absolutely no regrets using one at all.

I have a very good one with an included measuring spoon and marked level on the pot, helping to create a synergistic mix of salt/warm water.

It's the same saline consistency of tears.

It's important to get the mix right, or over-use with the wrong blend, could irritate the sinuses.....;)

laRubiaBonita

i just suck it up (pun intended!!! :lmao:)

but i also take Vit. C and a stress B complex.

i swim too and that helps.

Meadypecace

watch made from Da bing xiao jiang Basement the movie to watch The Chosen One The Whole Film To Watch Iron Man 2 Movie Direct Download Mine vaganti Movie In English To Download How To Watch The Prankster Online Red Riding Hood Trailer Mp4 Download watch Machete 2010 full movie Watch A Movie Chico Xavier online where to buy The King of Fighters film watch full version of the Wild Target online The Confidant movie on youtube Watch Full Version Of Tannu Weds Mannu Movie The Lincoln Lawyer Film Now Legion Download Watch Full Version Of The The Warrior's Way online The 19th Wife Film Location Alice in Wonderland Cast Download The Five The Film Online Watch The Whole Movie Of No Strings Attached Download Divx Ratatouille Full Lenght Sixgun Movie To Download Tucker & Dale vs Evil Hd Download Soul Surfer Full Lenght Film In Hd Format Dead Space: Aftermath filmography online divx download Season of the Witch how to watch Happiness Is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown tide online Bez tvare film to watch now watch Battle: Los Angeles film divx Who Is Clark Rockefeller? Story Download The Eat Pray Love Dvd American Bandits: Frank and Jesse James Full Lenght Film In Dvd Format Temple Grandin Full Lenght Film In Hd Format Arthur Film Songs Monsters preview Download Daniel Tosh: Happy Thoughts Online where can i download Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adele Blanc-Sec Fake Identity Full Lenght Film In Hd Format About The The Violent Kind online download Requiem pour une tueuse movie 2011 Download The Shank

westernxer

When my sinuses act up I have to take the strong stuff, otherwise I'm suffering. Usually I'll cut an allergy table in half and store the unused portion for later, because a full dose will knock me out... not good when I'm in the office.

Put my vote in for the neti pot (neti potting?) as well! My allergies are usually terrible, and meds don't help, so the neti pot was a good investment.

Be advised though that if one neti pots too much, it can mess up your body's natural immune defenses within the sinuses (mucous production, I'm guessing), and can lead to you being more vulnerable to colds and what not.

When my sinuses act up I have to take the strong stuff, otherwise I'm suffering. Usually I'll cut an allergy table in half and store the unused portion for later, because a full dose will knock me out... not good when I'm in the office.

Plenty of non-drowsy antihistamines on the market, you just gotta ask for them. Ask for the ones with a decongestant, too - those typically tend to counteract the drowsiness a little, as a side effect.

TaraMaiden

Be advised though that if one neti pots too much, it can mess up your body's natural immune defenses within the sinuses (mucous production, I'm guessing), and can lead to you being more vulnerable to colds and what not.

You make a good point here.

Neti pots are (if I am not mistaken) a sinus cleanser used within the system of Ayurveda - an Indian/Eastern medical practice which focuses on body type, makeup, personality and characteristics of the person, in order to use the remedies and supplements best suited to their specific system. Most remedies are custom-made, not general.

neti pots are used generally though, as a support and physical supplement to the well-being of a person. They can be used with other associated physical remedies, such as Vastra Dhauti.

Some may think this is taking things a little too far. But the Ayurveda system has been in existence for thousands of years, is still adhered to and practised today, and those who live by its remedies and directions, would appear to boast good health and longevity.

skydiveaddict
This is season has been particularly bad but any kind of medication on the market has tons of side effects that I don't want. Is there any way to manage this without doping myself up?

That's not true. Most modern antihistamines have virtually no side effects. And if one does happen to not agree with you, there are dozens of others that will. Natural remedies are nothing but bs. Go see a doc.

Edited by skydiveaddict
westernxer
Plenty of non-drowsy antihistamines on the market, you just gotta ask for them. Ask for the ones with a decongestant, too - those typically tend to counteract the drowsiness a little, as a side effect.

They don't work for me.

whichwayisup
That's not true. Most modern antihistamines have virtually no side effects. And if one does happen to not agree with you, there are dozens of others that will. Natural remedies are nothing but bs. Go see a doc.

Do you know this from your own personal experience? or is this a belief?

What works for one person may or may not work for the next.

TaraMaiden

skydiveaddict, if natural remedies were bs, many of the pharmaceutical remedies in existence today wouldn't exist.

Many are based on natural remedies, just packaged in a chemical carrier.

Natural remedies - like pharmaceutical ones - are not necessarily generally effective for everyone. Some people get on well with them, others not so much. But they're not bs.

Otherwise aromatherapy wouldn't work, and eating certain foods would be redundant.

Think, before you post.

It's like saying all parachutists are adrenalin junkies with an exaggerated death-wish, with a callous disregard for the feelings of their loved ones..

True dat.

Yes?

No.

Quite.

laRubiaBonita

i think neti pots are crap.... not that i am saying they do not help relieve symptoms, but i do not like nose sprays or anything that goes up the nose.

Although, back in the day i had a drug motto "if i can snort it- GREAT!!!" but i am over that!

my father snorts water up his nose for a similar effect- my husbad uses nasal spray..... i just go swimming and/ or eat spicy foods.

if i absolutely have to- and only if i get itchy-i will take a benadryl- knowing it will knock me out and i will at least be asleep and not suffering.

skydiveaddict, if natural remedies were bs, many of the pharmaceutical remedies in existence today wouldn't exist.

Many are based on natural remedies, just packaged in a chemical carrier.

Natural remedies - like pharmaceutical ones - are not necessarily generally effective for everyone. Some people get on well with them, others not so much. But they're not bs.

Otherwise aromatherapy wouldn't work, and eating certain foods would be redundant.

Think, before you post.

It's like saying all parachutists are adrenalin junkies with an exaggerated death-wish, with a callous disregard for the feelings of their loved ones..

True dat.

Yes?

No.

Quite.

I agree with you that generalizing that 'all natural remedies are bs' is going a little too far. But the OP is also generalizing that 'all medicines have tons of unpleasant side effects', which is really an equal but opposite gaffe. :) The poster you quoted is correct in that except for drowsiness in 1st and 2nd gen. antihistamines, most people are really not affected by other side effects of antihistamines. There is a whole long list that the FDA mandates must be published, but for most of the side effects listed, only a small portion of the population will experience them. Antihistamines really are known to cause less side effects than, say, hormonal BC, which plenty of people on these forums are a huge fan of. ;)

They don't work for me.

What are you taking for it, then? Doxylamine?