Has being away from someone you care about, ever caused you anxiety?

Where you think about them, and miss them so much that your chest aches and your breathing feels heavy? This had recently happened to me and it only sometimes happens, it's not all the time, but every once and a while.

Does blowing into a brown paper bag help at all?

Feelin Frisky
Has being away from someone you care about, ever caused you anxiety?...

...Does blowing into a brown paper bag help at all?

1. No. Having her be away from me has caused me anxiety and love-sickness.

2. Not unless you put some airplane glue in the bag.

• Author

It was difficult to breath and I sobbed for a few minutes but then it subsided.

I rested and closed my eyes, and the anxiety decreased but my heart kept making what felt like a thump against the inside of my chest.

It's hard to describe...:(

skydiveaddict
It was difficult to breath and I sobbed for a few minutes but then it subsided.

I rested and closed my eyes, and the anxiety decreased but my heart kept making what felt like a thump against the inside of my chest.

It's hard to describe...:(

I think I know what you mean. Separation anxiety perhaps? Is he in the military ?

Where you think about them, and miss them so much that your chest aches and your breathing feels heavy? This had recently happened to me and it only sometimes happens, it's not all the time, but every once and a while.

Does blowing into a brown paper bag help at all?

Welcome to the club.. I have anxiety to so you are NOT alone. Yes.. All those symptoms you feel can be a direct result of your brain sending you the wrong signals that your feeling in a very physical way. I have never tried the paper bag thing, but sitting down in a quiet room and trying not to fight the anxiety.. will give you more strength and courage to get throught the un plesant feelings. Next attack you get.. don't run from it like fright or flight want's you to. Sit still and let it pass.. it can work. I have you know I'm an pro at this.. it's been to years of it for me. Hang tight!:)

Mea:)

I smoke weed or take Xanax... I know lots of people don't agree with such approaches and would rather resort to all sorts of "home remedies" or just shutting down until it passes. Which is GREAT if they work for you and you have the time to work through it in that way. Mine are worse, and I don't have that option. My problem is compounded by the fact that my natural instinct is to fight, rather than flight. I've been in tons of arguments and fights with perfect strangers, over nonsense, like them walking too slow in the mall. It's out of control sometimes, especially if I don't pay attention and I allow my blood sugar to drop too much. Then I'm just a plain old crazy lunatic. So, yeah, I like the drugs. Instant fix.

Edited by In_Repair

For myself, only when it was an unhealthy dynamic, though that aspect wasn't evident at the time. While I was married to her, I loved my wife dearly and did miss her when she was away traveling but never felt anxious about her being gone.

Also, anecdotally, a gall bladder problem feels remarkably like anxiety, IME.

I miss people I care about but the overall feeling is positive, not anxious. I found, in other circumstances, when feeling anxious, refocusing on something else seemed to mitigate the symptoms. I never tried the paper bag thing. That's generally for hyperventilating, to rebalance CO2 levels.

• Author

Hi Sky, separation anxiety was actually the first thought that came to mind, that's what it felt like. No, not in the army, from what I knew.

Mea, thanks for your sweet comments, and sorry you experience it too (and you too Inrepair, sorry to hear. I'm not really into doing either of the things you suggested for it, I try to let it pass).

Carhill, what are the similarities between a gall bladder problem, and feelings of anxiety?

It's an uneasy feeling in the 'pit' of your stomach and a feeling of pressure, generally 3-6 hours after a meal. A full-on attack usually gives me 3-4 hours of severe lower right quadrant pain until the inflammation goes down. I had anxiety for many years, which went away in my late 30's, and this similar feeling in the last couple years didn't match up with any anxiety-producing events so I finally had the doc take a look at it. It wasn't until I had a full attack and ended up on the floor that I figured it was something other than anxiety. TBH, that mis-read might have caused some of my marital issues because I was reacting to the physical pain improperly. Oh, well, live and learn.

(and you too Inrepair, sorry to hear. I'm not really into doing either of the things you suggested for it, I try to let it pass).

Completely understandable. I was reluctant to take the Xanax when I first got it. The doctor put me on Ativan at first, but it just made me go to sleep, so she switched me to Xanax. It's a preventive measure, as my one and only real panic attack was a nightmare for more people than just myself. I wound up strapped to a bed in an emergency room, wanting to wrap my hands around a doctors throat so he could feel like he was choking to death... like I thought I was.

Ahhhh, good times....

Now when I get tense, I pop one. I even take them sometimes before heading out to places, like the mall I mentioned previously.

Edited by In_Repair
  • Author
It's an uneasy feeling in the 'pit' of your stomach and a feeling of pressure, generally 3-6 hours after a meal. A full-on attack usually gives me 3-4 hours of severe lower right quadrant pain until the inflammation goes down. I had anxiety for many years, which went away in my late 30's, and this similar feeling in the last couple years didn't match up with any anxiety-producing events so I finally had the doc take a look at it. It wasn't until I had a full attack and ended up on the floor that I figured it was something other than anxiety. TBH, that mis-read might have caused some of my marital issues because I was reacting to the physical pain improperly. Oh, well, live and learn.

Oh wow, sorry to hear that! Definitley two different types of experiences, I didn't get any of that. Just the tightness in my chest and my heart feeling like it was making a thump :bunny:.

Completely understandable. I was reluctant to take the Xanax when I first got it. The doctor put me on Ativan at first, but it just made me go to sleep, so she switched me to Xanax. It's a preventive measure, as my one and only real panic attack was a nightmare for more people than just myself. I wound up strapped to a bed in an emergency room, wanting to wrap my hands around a doctors throat so he could feel like he was choking to death... like I thought I was.

Ahhhh, good times....

Now when I get tense, I pop one. I even take them sometimes before heading out to places, like the mall I mentioned previously.

This sounds pretty intense. :eek: Nothing like that either. Though I have had panic attack but I generally try to let them pass naturally. It can be hard though. I'm sure passing a kidney stone feels worse, or something to that effect :laugh::o.

A friend of mine would take St John wart, it's a natural herb to help treat anxiety. She swears by it. Incidentally enough I used to suffer anxiety over this very girl so much that when we caught up within 5mins of being with her I'd throw up and it happened a lot (yes think South Park). Ah to be a teenager again. Though I've never had that issue since, and meeting her now we have a good laugh about it.

• Author

Nope, haven't thrown up over it. Sorry to hear that. :sick::o

I have felt nauseous though, if I feel really really sad, it's like a gutt wrenching feeling in my tummy. Ugh.

Thanks for the suggestion on the herbal remedy.

This sounds pretty intense. :eek: Nothing like that either. Though I have had panic attack but I generally try to let them pass naturally. It can be hard though. I'm sure passing a kidney stone feels worse, or something to that effect :laugh::o.

I didn't just flip out though, it was a holiday and I had been around to three different houses already, eating little bits of unknown food here and there. By the time we got home, I was having a reaction to something and it caused my throat to swell. After a couple of hours of discomfort and my wife at the time(who is a nurse) constantly showing concern, I had a panic attack. By the time the ambulance got me to the hospital, the swelling was almost gone and I was breathing fine, but I still thought I was gasping for my last breath. More embarrassing than anything else...