What I wanted to be when I grew up

As a kid there were a lot of things I wanted to be when I grew up.

1) I think the first thing I wanted to be was a SPACEMAN. I loved Star Wars and Star Trek and even stuff like Flash Gordon as a kid.

2) I was also obssessed with mosters as a kid and wanted to be some kind of DEMON HUNTER you know kill vampires, crush monsters.

3) I loved SUPER HERO's specificaly Batman and Superman. I really thought that just like Superman I would learn to fly as I got older. I'm glad I never tried jumping off the roof lol. (I was horrified when the guy who played superman got paralyzed)

4) My mom took me to see MAGICIANS David Copperfield and I thought Magic was real. I always wondered how they did it and seriously wanted to learn Magic as a kid.

5) Finaly I loved CLOWNS as a young kid. I used draw pictures and paint them all the time. I really thought it would be fun to join the circus and be a CLOWN.

• Author
I think I wanted to be June Cleaver, but with more money.

haha thats good. I think a lot of girls wanted that.

• Author
Green - it sounds like maybe you could attain your dreams but putting on a costume every day.

Well I'd be lying if I told you I never dressed up as any of those things.

I mean I never really dressed up as the president... but Capes, Magic wands, spacesuits, Monsters, were all things I did as a kid lol. I even owned a clown outfit and clown nose

So, out of curiosity - most people do not end up doing anything remotely connected to what they wanted...what did you end up with?

• Author
Thats beyond Bizarre. Actually, it isnt quite interesting enough to be bizarre.

Haha truthfully I'd rather not say what I grew up to be but you are correct in assuming I didn't become any of those things. I'm a proffessional but and doing so was one of my dreams as I got older. I still love art and comedy as a hobby and would love to be a proffessional artist or comic. For now I'll just enjoy being out in the real world and done with school.

Hahaha lulz.

Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to be a fighter pilot. Instead of boy scouts, I was in Civil Air Patrol. My grandfather had been an AF fighter ace in Vietnam, had been a test pilot, had trained astronauts, and had retired a full Colonel after turning down a desk job at the Pentagon. I felt that I was practically born for military life. I had the connections, I had excelled in school, and I had full support from my family to pursue my goal. Before going to the college I chose, I was practically halfway through the door of the US Naval Academy.

It was then that I discovered that my eyesight, though corrected to 20/20, was unacceptable to DoD standards. I had truly put all of my eggs in one basket. I had been so busy trying to garner an appointment to the USNA that I hadn't applied to any other schools. Thoroughly defeated, I applied to my alma mater about a month before the semester started.

Since then, I've tried several other routes to getting towards that dream. The eyesight remains the main hurtle. I could get LASIK now (which at the time of my attempted appointment, was an automatic DQ) from a civilian doc, but I would have to wait 1 year from the surgery to be considered fit for duty. That would put me at almost 26 years old if I had the surgery today. After allowing another year for OCS, I would be closing in on my 30's by the time I would be competing for a slot in flight training. My competition would be those who didn't just barely slip through the door.

As of now, I have started my career as an engineer. I fly a desk. It's not a bad job; in fact in many respects it's a great job. The pay and benefits are good, there is opportunity for advancement, and there are days (today isn't one of them, obviously) where I'm "firing on all eight cylinders" with creativity, problem solving, and time management. The fact remains, however, that it's far from what I envisioned for myself even 5 years ago.

Despite the feeling that I would be better suited for flying a jet, I know that my fantasy is based on childhood dreams, not practical realities. Even if I could snap my fingers and be putting on my flight suit tomorrow, would it be something that I truly wanted? How would it effect the relationships in my life? How would it effect me as a person? I generally like the person who I am. In an alternate universe where I was blessed with good vision and a jet to fly, would I be as happy?

There is, of course, no way to answer those questions. I think when it comes down to it, most of us choose to do the best we can with what we've got.

I wanted to be a pilot. Then as I got older I became terrified of flying. I am a stay at home mom now. But I road race cars ( spec miata). And hope to get into formula Mazda soon!

I wanted to have the body of Rafaella Carra, the eyes of the Wonder Woman, the hair and ears of the Bionic Woman, the sight and speed of the Million dollar man, and be able to become invisible when I wanted.

• Author
i wanted to be a teacher just so i could write with chalk on the chalkboard.

I hate teachers ever since I was a kid

Hahaha lulz.

Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to be a fighter pilot. Instead of boy scouts, I was in Civil Air Patrol. My grandfather had been an AF fighter ace in Vietnam, had been a test pilot, had trained astronauts, and had retired a full Colonel after turning down a desk job at the Pentagon. I felt that I was practically born for military life. I had the connections, I had excelled in school, and I had full support from my family to pursue my goal. Before going to the college I chose, I was practically halfway through the door of the US Naval Academy.

It was then that I discovered that my eyesight, though corrected to 20/20, was unacceptable to DoD standards. I had truly put all of my eggs in one basket. I had been so busy trying to garner an appointment to the USNA that I hadn't applied to any other schools. Thoroughly defeated, I applied to my alma mater about a month before the semester started.

Since then, I've tried several other routes to getting towards that dream. The eyesight remains the main hurtle. I could get LASIK now (which at the time of my attempted appointment, was an automatic DQ) from a civilian doc, but I would have to wait 1 year from the surgery to be considered fit for duty. That would put me at almost 26 years old if I had the surgery today. After allowing another year for OCS, I would be closing in on my 30's by the time I would be competing for a slot in flight training. My competition would be those who didn't just barely slip through the door.

As of now, I have started my career as an engineer. I fly a desk. It's not a bad job; in fact in many respects it's a great job. The pay and benefits are good, there is opportunity for advancement, and there are days (today isn't one of them, obviously) where I'm "firing on all eight cylinders" with creativity, problem solving, and time management. The fact remains, however, that it's far from what I envisioned for myself even 5 years ago.

Despite the feeling that I would be better suited for flying a jet, I know that my fantasy is based on childhood dreams, not practical realities. Even if I could snap my fingers and be putting on my flight suit tomorrow, would it be something that I truly wanted? How would it effect the relationships in my life? How would it effect me as a person? I generally like the person who I am. In an alternate universe where I was blessed with good vision and a jet to fly, would I be as happy?

There is, of course, no way to answer those questions. I think when it comes down to it, most of us choose to do the best we can with what we've got.

your story reminds me of that scene in little miss sunshine where the kid freaks out because he realizes he is colour blind. I'm glad to hear you havn't given up and have done posotive things with your life so far.

I wanted to become a Ninja.

Do you watch naruto... its like Harry Potter with nijas...

I wanted to be a pilot. Then as I got older I became terrified of flying. I am a stay at home mom now. But I road race cars ( spec miata). And hope to get into formula Mazda soon!

My friends mom races cars... Thats scarier then flying IMO

I wanted to have the body of Rafaella Carra, the eyes of the Wonder Woman, the hair and ears of the Bionic Woman, the sight and speed of the Million dollar man, and be able to become invisible when I wanted.

Just give yourself supermans powers and the other peoples looks.

And as a profession I wanted to become and Engineer and I did.

Interesting. I went through a short phase as a kid where I wanted to build robots, and rockit shoes and crap like that. but then when it came time for school I didn't feel like doing science stuff.