Anger Management

I am putting together an anger management group that I will facilitate with a colleague. I wanted to do some informal research here at LS. Have you, or someone you know ever participated in an anger management group, if so how was your/their experience, what was helpful, what wasn't, what would have made it better, and did you/they change from the experience?

this really pisses me off.

Sounds like you may need to join an anger management group :p

Seriously, why would it piss you off just cos people don't have the info that you want/need?

Or...maybe you were just doing a 'play on topic', with your 2nd post? :o

I think he was bumping his thread by playing off the opening post topic! :p

Sorry, I've never been in a group environment but did get some IC, when I couldn't turn off the anger against the ex-H, after D-day. So, I can't help.

• Author
I think he was bumping his thread by playing off the opening post topic! :p

Yup..just some creative bumping.

I ran a life skills group in the group home I worked at years ago- anger management was an ongoing topic we broached.

What is your target demographic?

Men, women, teens, adults, open, etc.

• Author
I ran a life skills group in the group home I worked at years ago- anger management was an ongoing topic we broached.

What is your target demographic?

Men, women, teens, adults, open, etc.

Good questions. Mostly men. We are going to get referrals from probation and defense attorneys mostly. If we get enough women we will start a seperate group for them.

That's good, I do feel it's important to split genders as men and women manifest anger differently- and of course have much different social influences.

I imagine, you have to start with the basics- determine where that anger comes from (it will be family upbringing, role models, etc)... That will have to be explored in detail.

People get a whole lot out of sharing stories. They will relate, realize they are not alone, and most importantly, they will realize they are not anomolies. Something powerful is achieved when people hear others being vocal about the same fears, insecurities, thoughts and experiences that they themselves have felt alone with for most of their lives.

If you expect people to open up to you, you should be open with them. Group is different than IC, it's all about being open- and that includes the therapist. To achieve trust (your primary goal), you should share your story about anger first.

Anyway- Trust is your first goal. You HAVE to create a safe place to share first and foremost. By telling your own story, by opening up and revealing yourself- you are setting the pace for others to share. When you reveal your own weakness and experience- you are setting the pace for a non-judgemental atmosphere.

You want to give them hope early on. It will help to have success stories- which includes you. Without hope, you won't achieve inspiration.

Listening is important. You will probably have to teach people how to listen to others- and you will have to moderate that, especially early on.

Come up with a list of rules for your group- and enforce them always.

Nip deviant behaviour immediately.

Beyond that, you'll need a plan. Conduct, goals, method, the whole shebang. That needs to be in place at the outset.

I could write an essay- there is so much more to it.:p