I'm 22 and still have no clue what to do with my life. Anybody have any suggestions for how to find something before it's too late and I'm stuck with a mortage and 2.5 kids?

many people of our age have no clue either.

are you in college? do you know what field you'd like to work in?

-yes

• Author

I took the year off of school because it was a waste of time and money to keep changing my majors. I'd like to go back, but I'm afraid of getting in on something I don't like and wasting even more money.

EnigmaXOXO

Well, as long as you have your gen-eds in, a college education(even absent a major) will sure help.

If you're searching for a career choice, there are many things to consider. First, find out what the job market is in the area you want to work. Are the jobs tech related, governmental, or do you live in an area (like mine) were the health industry flourishes?

Second, consider the salary range for the kind of jobs available. If you're putting good money towards college, you'll want to make sure you'll make it all back. For instance, you can spend thousands on a teaching or counseling career, and make little more than you would an average office job.

Third, find out what you're interested in doing. What do you consider "fun." Is it computers?...Helping people?...Are you interested in politics??

You'll also need to consider the kind of environment you can survive in. Corporate positions and/or office jobs can burn you out quickly due to all the "people politics" you must endure. There are jobs where you can work one-on-one with individuals, such as counseling, law, or accounting work. But consider in this line of work you will often 'bring your job home with you' and that can create a different kind of stress.

Perhaps you like to spend time traveling, or outdoors...Enjoy physical or mental work. There are many things to consider! But if you're still not sure, take the college experience you already have under your belt and try out several jobs first, before considering a major. Testing the waters may help you better decide what you can tolerate doing for an extended amount of time.

Good Luck!

• Author

Thank you all for your input. I'll be thinking about all this for quite awhile, and I'll keep you posted as to what I determine. Anybody have any stories as to how they came to a conclusion about what to do with themselves?

[color=indigo]

Hi Rob,

What you're going through is not uncommon at all. I went through it too! I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life either and after 3 different colleges and 3 different full-time jobs, I finally found my calling.

I went to college right after high school but soon realized that I didn't know what I wanted to do. I thought I did, but I found myself very unhappy. I needed to do something that made me happy, so I tried many different things. After two years of college, I opted for a full time job and still went to school part time. The full time job gave me good experience and a look into the real world. Once knowing what the real world consisted of, I had a better idea of just how I wanted to fit into it.

Follow your dreams, follow what you love! What are you good at? What makes you happy? Do you love computers? Do you love sports? Do you love helping people? Whatever your passion, there is something out there for you to do. It is a matter of recognizing your strengths and passions and putting that energy into something.

I hope this helped you in some way. Good luck with finding what you want to do with your life.

[/color]